Korg ds-dac-10 USB 1-bit DSD DAC
Apr 23, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #16 of 69
Wondering: is it supposed to be as good as the portable dsd player?

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #17 of 69
Quote:
I see it on eBay from time to time.  It's too pricey for me to try it blind.

Well, I can't imagine it being terrible since its from a studio brand.

EDIT: Here's a link to a translated page that has some reviews. Just click on the 5 stars to read more.

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #18 of 69
This has been updated for Mac according to an announcement from Korg:

http://www.korg.co.jp/News/2013/0425/

Here's a google translation excerpt:
[size=medium][size=x-small]It is a DS-DAC-10, but to update the relevant software at 14 April 25, today will respond to DSD native playback on Mac OS X.[/size][/size][size=medium] [/size][size=medium][size=x-small]In addition, due to this update, so we have also fixed some problems, download the latest software version, it is recommended that you use it If you have a product.[/size][/size]

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #20 of 69
May 12, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #21 of 69
Really interested in this relatively cheap and small DSD DAC...Anyone know what the digital output on the back does exactly? PCM signal converted from DSD?

May 12, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #22 of 69
Really interested in this relatively cheap and small DSD DAC...Anyone know what the digital output on the back does exactly? PCM signal converted from DSD?

Since it is coaxial, I could only imagine it to be DSD converted to PCM and then output as digital signal, since DSD could only be carried via HDMI or USB, for now at least.

May 13, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #25 of 69
Quote:
Since it is coaxial, I could only imagine it to be DSD converted to PCM and then output as digital signal, since DSD could only be carried via HDMI or USB, for now at least.

You're right. I just looked at the specs on korg.co.jp.

(Off-topic: there are a couple DACs that do DoP over SPDIF. The Benchmark DAC2 is one of them)

Quote:
I'm also very intersted in this DAC.
And its amp section, too... I wonder of it sounds good with IEMs or only with full-size cans?

The head amp is not terribly powerful (85mW + 85mW at 32 ohm) but IEMs should be alright. However I can't find the output impedance of it..

May 13, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #26 of 69
You're right. I just looked at the specs on korg.co.jp.

(Off-topic: there are a couple DACs that do DoP over SPDIF. The Benchmark DAC2 is one of them)

The head amp is not terribly powerful (85mW + 85mW at 32 ohm) but IEMs should be alright. However I can't find the output impedance of it..

Great info., it certainly will be interesting to see more product supporting DoP over SPDIF, eg, optical disc transport.

Wonder if the combination of Korg and ALO Pan Am will work, I like the idea of having everything USB powered (as in Korg), or self-powered (as in Pan Am), so one could just essentially take them anywhere without having to worry about power source.

May 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #27 of 69
Order placed. It should be here in around a week..Will post some impressions 
popcorn.gif

May 13, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #29 of 69
I ordered from Japan via some package forwarding service (similar to Tenso). You can also find it on Ebay occasionally.

Actually it's not in limited production. It's just that the very first batch was limited to 1,000 units (sold out already) and some people mistook it for limited production.

Quote:
Mind sharing where you ordered it from? I heard the Korg was in limited production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back