Korean "Style Audio" Headphone Amp
Mar 26, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #31 of 53
i checked the power plug and it says 120V on it, and both US and Korea have 60hz, i think power plug is one way to promote for topaz and emerald, i won't pay $350 or $500 for these, ruby is the best p/p with denon than ever >
biggrin.gif
<

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #32 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by trungkien978 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i checked the power plug and it says 120V on it, and both US and Korea have 60hz, i think power plug is one way to promote for topaz and emerald, i won't pay $350 or $500 for these, ruby is the best p/p with denon than ever >
biggrin.gif
<

I still don't understand how they could be technically incompatible with US power spec other than the voltage. It just seems like a business strategy to sell more expensive products to US.

Mar 26, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #33 of 53
Hmm, ruby is a lot cheaper than those two (emerald and topaz)...

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #34 of 53
Hello Everyone,

I am the North American importer and distributor for Styleaudio.

A few comments.

The Topaz and Emerald are the only two models designed for the US market and the only two models that I import and are the only two models authorized and designed for use and sale in North America. The two models are eligible for warranty coverage (in the unlikely event of a problem) in North America, any of the others are not.

I worked closely with Styleaudio on these models and they are an upgrade from all the previous models that they have released in Korea. Here is a graph provided direct from Styleaudio explaining how the models compare and are situated in their lineup:

6a00e55180aabd883301156e32f9ab970c-800wi

In any event, look for a few reviews to show themselves on Head-Fi as customers who have ordered start to receive their units. I have also provided Skylab with a review sample, which he will talk about soon, I'm sure. They are special units, IMHO.

EDIT--Craig from Whiplash Audio is the premiere Head-Fi dealer for these, so feel free to contact him, or myself, with any questions.

Peace,

Lee

Mar 27, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #35 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still don't understand how they could be technically incompatible with US power spec other than the voltage. It just seems like a business strategy to sell more expensive products to US.

Please be aware that Styleaudio issued the warning, not me, and they build them, so I would probably use the unit as the manufacturer recommends.

Peace,

Lee

Mar 27, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #36 of 53
i think style audio should provide a different power supply for U.S rather than a upgrade from $220 -> $450, and i don't understand why even the power plug writes 110v-220v on it and it is the same 60hz in the U.S., what kind of warning is that, i used Ruby for a month and no problem
of course i hope it won't have problems coz the styleaudio is not gonna compensate for it :">

Mar 29, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #37 of 53
I am using the Peridot (in Switzerland) off the 5v USB, and its has no problems driving AKGs 340s or Beyer DT990. I am however making a customized PSU to further improve SQ
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #38 of 53
Can somebody with the Carat Ruby tell me what the specs are on the included power supply? I'm assuming the input/output voltages/frequencies are stamped on it.

I know they're saying that it's "not safe" for use in other countries, but I'm skeptical. Most of the wall-warts that I've seen are rated for something like 100 - 240V, 50-60 Hz

If this one is the same, it should work fine in the US. If I recall correctly, the US uses 120V 60Hz, and Korea uses 220V 60Hz. Provided the power supply supports both, the DC output should be identical, correct?

**EDIT** trungkien, just to confirm, you're saying that the power supply is stamped "110-220V"?

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #41 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by joewatch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the device takes 6V DC - look at the back. Sure, it might be sold with a 220v/60hz wall-wart, but just get yourself one of these if you live in the US:
6V/1800mA AC-to-DC Power Adapter - RadioShack.com

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Sorry, I missed trungkien's earlier post where he clearly stated that the power supply accepts 120V. The first review of the Topaz is pretty positive. I'd like to hear Topaz and Ruby side-by-side. Components are identical, except for the DAC (which is supposed to have identical dynamic range and harmonic distortion). From glancing at the promotional graphics, it appears that the layout has changed a bit, but it's hard to say for sure.

Also the Topaz has little brass feet. Can't forget about those.
k701smile.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #42 of 53
do i need to change the adapter with the one in radioshack, i am using the in-box adapter then there's no problem, idk if it will mess the sound quality or not but the sound is very pleasuring to me right now ^^
idk how much better of Topaz than Ruby but i know it's has a x1.9 prices as Ruby

May 30, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #44 of 53
I'm a CARAT-RUBY owner in Thailand and using the stock AC adapter with 220V 50Hz Thailand standard Power, and it work fine!!!

only one problem I found is that the stock AC adapter is not been grounded, My Fujitsu P5010 have the same problem, un-grounded Switching Power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back