Korean "Style Audio" Headphone Amp
Mar 13, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #16 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the continued feedback, and thanks to Trungkien for his experience with the DAC section.

Wow, that Topaz price is incredible - but most of the delta is likely due to the won weakness against the Yen.

In fact, a co-worker of mine said that Apple Korea increased all their prices here by 30% yesterday. So for instance, the 120GB Classic was $200 pre-increase, and the 32GB iTouch was $320.

I haven't visited the Apple store again yet to confirm the price boost, but if so, man what bad timing.

Otherwise, in other electronics stores here I find many Cowon, iRiver, and Samsung Yepp PMPs - sexy little things with touch screens and some with finger-flip functions. But they're only 8-16GB, which is nowhere capacious enough for FLAC and/or video files...

Lastly, Trung, don't feel so bad about buying the ruby for $230. Remember, I had to spend $1,000 to get here.
wink.gif

Oooohh. How I wish I was there, too. I remember walking through Yong-San District (huge electronic-specific malls) and just zone out there for hours.

I would love to test out all the cowon, iriver and samsung players but I'm afraid price of admission is too high for me right now. If I were you, I'd pick up a stello DA100 or HP100 since the won is weak and you don't have to pay the humongous shipping charges. You'd easily save about $200 compared to getting it in the States.

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #20 of 53
Wow, that is uh, scary. Good thing I didn't end up buying it then!

But then again, who's to say my Korea purchased DR.DAC2 isn't similarly affected? Hm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by totoful /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Styleaudio who is a manufacturer CARAT-RUBY announced CARAT-RUBY is dangerous if it is used outside of Korea..

Look here : Styleaudio: CARAT-RUBY : WARNING ! !

Mar 21, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #21 of 53
The Topaz is designed for overseas market, hopefully someone here will review it.

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #22 of 53
Do they need power adapter plugged in even when it's operating via USB? If not, why would that be a problem if it can draw power from the computer?

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #23 of 53
The USB adapter probably shouldn't be a problem. Sounds like they are more concerned about the power plug.

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #24 of 53
john or larry should get the topaz and do a review haha
devil_face.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #25 of 53
Yeah, I wonder how the topaz sounds too.
frown.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #26 of 53
Interesting thread. I didn't know some of you guys were interested in Style Audio products. I actually have carat-peridot which is little cheaper than ruby. This was my first DAC/AMP so I don't know how good they are but doesn't seem to drive hd600 very well
frown.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #27 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting thread. I didn't know some of you guys were interested in Style Audio products. I actually have carat-peridot which is little cheaper than ruby. This was my first DAC/AMP so I don't know how good they are but doesn't seem to drive dt770 or hd600 very well
frown.gif

Are you using the optional power adapter or running it off the uSB?

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #28 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using the optional power adapter or running it off the uSB?

I am just running it off the USB since the power adapter is not compatible with US outlet.

Mar 24, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #29 of 53
????? i am using Ruby in the USA in Ohio right now, NO PROBLEMS ?????????
or is this a way to marketing for Topaz?????????
will it affect the quality of DAC and amplifier of Ruby ? i just used my computer and its sounds are slightly different
frown.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #30 of 53
Craig from Whiplash Audio Dynamics announced that they have been named Official U.S. Dealer for Style Audio Products. Also that both the "Topaz & "Emerald" DAC/HP Amps have been re-designed for 120VAC & w/better parts/components & brass feet for dampening. Should go on sale next week. Thread is in the Sponsors Forum.
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Users who are viewing this thread

Back