KOJO KM01-BRASS : With a (32Ω) 20mW +20 mW impression and appreciation thread
Sep 18, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #76 of 281
I know what you mean.  The M8 was designed exactly as a power portable DAC/amp for hard-to-drive orthos and the like, so pairing it with sensitive IEMs does seem a mismatch on the face of it. Centrance does make a good DAC, but I don't know if any of them are portable as a separate unit.  Yet.  That's actually what I was fishing for, your impression of the M8's amp.

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #77 of 281
  I know what you mean.  The M8 was designed exactly as a power portable DAC/amp for hard-to-drive orthos and the like, so pairing it with sensitive IEMs does seem a mismatch on the face of it. Centrance does make a good DAC, but I don't know if any of them are portable as a separate unit.  Yet.  That's actually what I was fishing for, your impression of the M8's amp.

Yes. The DAC section is very good in resolution. I often pick up more recording flaws then usual when using the M8. But when paired with Parterre there are several issues:

- The midrange of Parterre seem much less forward compared to when i plug them directly to my iPhone 4. This make my favourite vocal tracks sound less engaging and emotional. I really love the Midrange of the FitEar ( 334 and Parterre ), so i prefer the portable DAC/AMP at least not to alter with this.
- Background is not very silent and not black ( I would like to try the IEM mod but sending them back to the US and waiting is too much a hassle for me )
- The soundstage while it's it very wide, the depth is not up to my expectation. 
- Too big and thick so i can only use it on my bed. 

After all, i still prefer my Parterre plugged directly to my Macbook Retina or iPhone 4

However, When i tried the M8 briefly with the LCD 2 rev 2 ( using balanced norse cable ), the synergy is truly superb. I cannot think of any DAC/AMP at $700 ( or lower if you purchase the used one or preorder from CEntrance) that can drive this monster as good as the M8.

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #78 of 281
Hi CosmicHolyGhost

My friend diy done this mod , as far I know he jumper with special cable .
I am sorry I don't know about what he mod
SQ improvement is more than 50% better than stock
He can mod the optical and coaxial section
What I done is only improvement the SQ .

Thanks, Rudi....

Just back from Tokyo... and picked up a used Kojo KM01-brass... was trying to get Wagnus either the blue or red knob version but all on backordered for 1-2 months... so I picked up their jumper instead....also a pair of Flat4-Kuro.....I asked for a pair of Kaede and the sales guy looked at me like I was an idiot and explained "limited edition...."

So far loving the KM01 sound, thanks for bringing this amp to my attention....

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #79 of 281
  I found a pair of used 335DW.... and not expensive... I tried them on and found that they also fit my ears....... and they sound obviously better than my TG334 ..... really unbelievable.... so I thought what the hell.... bought them also....and a used 000.....

You're so lucky 
eek.gif

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #80 of 281
You're so lucky
eek.gif

thanks.. . if compare to tg334 , they are a notch better... when comparing to parterre, the sound sig is obviously different.... now i wish to seek for a pair of 111IS....

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #81 of 281
Thanks, Rudi....

Just back from Tokyo... and picked up a used Kojo KM01-brass... was trying to get Wagnus either the blue or red knob version but all on backordered for 1-2 months... so I picked up their jumper instead....also a pair of Flat4-Kuro.....I asked for a pair of Kaede and the sales guy looked at me like I was an idiot and explained "limited edition...."

So far loving the KM01 sound, thanks for bringing this amp to my attention....

when I went to e-earphone (had to queue up to go there becos of some special sales).... I demo the MH335dw and realized the demo was really comfortable...  I found a pair of used 335DW.... and not expensive... I tried them on and found that they also fit my ears....... and they sound obviously better than my TG334 ..... really unbelievable.... so I thought what the hell.... bought them also....and a used 000.....

I was traveling with family and friends so had to sneak in and out ninja style... hit the Tower records in Shibuya and I am all satisfied... the only regret was did not have time for Disk Union..... well.... until next time....

Congrats to your Ko Jo Amp and your Fit Ear MH 335 DW

I am very happy too , That more and more my head fi friends like the SQ from Ko Jo

If you love Ko Jo amp , I am sure you will love Wagnus Epsilon S

:D

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #83 of 281
Ko Jo best set up

I love my UM 3 DD more and more , this is really the best from UM line that I have ever heard , it is better than my UM Miracle.

If you find the best synergy , like pair with my Ko Jo KM - 01.

Source : IPhone 4 s with WAV music file
Amp : Ko Jo KM - 01
Iem : UM 3 DD
Cable : Lod to,USB diy Van Den Hul Tone Arm Cable

High : very smooth detail , clean clear high , clarity top notch, not extended but this is correct highs
So reel in your ear

Mid .: the best mid I ever heard from iem so clear , thick sweet and clean tube like midrange
So intimate that I won't stop to hear my music

Bass : very deep and very good impact and very good detail too

Separation : very good that we can imagine where the instrument placement

Soundstage : like in small concert hall

Overall : 3 DD with Ko Jo KM - 01 have very good synergy to each other , my source is only
iPhone 4 S alone , if you plus External I Device Dac , you become more accurate .

My personal impression

Minus : only the connector loose from them self , the rest is really excellent SQ

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #84 of 281
Hi Cosmic,

What is your DAP and how is the synergy with kojo?

How is the sq of Wagnus mini2mini?

Thanks in advance

I have Wagnus mini to mini , but I have different type as CosmicHolyGhost

Wagnus has many type of mini to mini

My Wagnus mini to mini is red and white colour cable , SQ is transparent , very good mid

And detail

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #85 of 281
Hi rudi,

You should try flat4 Kaede as they have the dual dynamic driver design with excellent results. I think their sound signatures may be suitable for you.

Clean, clear, analytical, nice mids, separation and soundstage. Bass is also excellent.
However, very punishing for bad tracks. Wonder about the combo with Wagnus? Hmmm..

Haven't tried 3dd but will look out for them.

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #86 of 281

Yes. The DAC section is very good in resolution. I often pick up more recording flaws then usual when using the M8. But when paired with Parterre there are several issues:

- The midrange of Parterre seem much less forward compared to when i plug them directly to my iPhone 4. This make my favourite vocal tracks sound less engaging and emotional. I really love the Midrange of the FitEar ( 334 and Parterre ), so i prefer the portable DAC/AMP at least not to alter with this.
- Background is not very silent and not black ( I would like to try the IEM mod but sending them back to the US and waiting is too much a hassle for me )
- The soundstage while it's it very wide, the depth is not up to my expectation.
- Too big and thick so i can only use it on my bed.

After all, i still prefer my Parterre plugged directly to my Macbook Retina or iPhone 4

However, When i tried the M8 briefly with the LCD 2 rev 2 ( using balanced norse cable ), the synergy is truly superb. I cannot think of any DAC/AMP at $700 ( or lower if you purchase the used one or preorder from CEntrance) that can drive this monster as good as the M8.

Thanks for the M8 impressions, Rakan.  I'm surprised that the M8 exhibited recessed mids relative to your iphones, which you're defining as neutral.  Usually colored sonic frequency response character is associated with the headphones.

I'm exactly wondering aboout the M8 high gain amplifier background noise with sensitive IEMs.  I am planning to get the mod for my daughter's M8 I'm giving to her as a holiday gift.  This helps reinforce my intentions.

Yeah, the M8 is properly defined as transportable, not portable.  I'm afraid that distinction is going to be lost on some potential buyers, and lead to subsequent disappointment once they get past the new toy infatuation and settle into their individual lifestyle needs.

Meanwhile, back to the Kojo KM01 amp... 

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #87 of 281
Hi Cosmic,

What is your DAP and how is the synergy with kojo?

How is the sq of Wagnus mini2mini?

Thanks in advance

My favorite combo so far....

X3 (8741 mod) <line out> kojo + HD650

Music is lively and detailed. It can drive 650 to a reasonable level.

I also tried DX50 <coaxial> DB2 <line out> kojo + HD650

Single ended output from DB2 as source is not powerful enough for 650.....I will just use iem for this combo since the soundstage is wider when using DB2 as DAC

So far, kojo sound is very clean and transparent... it can bring out the good and bad of your earphones and reveal the sound signature of your source (or make you to throw your source against the wall if the result is bad)... amazing little amp....

HM901 <lod> kojo, DX50 <line out> kojo and Wagnus mini needs more time to A/B this weekend...

I also bought some CDs from Tokyo... so I think I should listen to music first before gear....
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #88 of 281
My transportable set up with Ko Jo KM - 01

Source : IBasso HDP R10 japan version
Dac : iBasso DB2 mod
Amp : Ko Jo KM - 01
Headphone : Sennheiser HD 580 first batch 1996
Unique Melody UM 3 DD
Cable : DIY balance Hiroshr to mini
Venture Craft coax cable

Ko Jo tdruve HD 580 SQ is very good
Power wise like I have already mentioned not e nought to drive high impedance headphone

Kio Jo drive UM 3 DD. SQ is excellent , with these set up even better
Has e plenty of power

Sep 22, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #89 of 281
Hi Rudi, nice setup as always...

I have questions, isnt the IBasso HDP R10 DAC section more high end than DB2?

When using db2 (balance) to kojo (SE) brings more power to the kojo?

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #90 of 281
Hi Rudi, nice setup as always...

I have questions, isnt the IBasso HDP R10 DAC section more high end than DB2?

When using db2 (balance) to kojo (SE) brings more power to the kojo?

Thank you

Power dB 2 with hiroshe balance jack to mini is bigger than single ended , more balance SQ

SQ wise :

HDP R10
High : cleaner and clearer , more black background , that you can hear better detail
Mid : less warn than dB 2
Bass : you can hear better detail
Soundstage : wider soundstage
Separation : very good that you can hear the instrument placement Better.

For me is more high end pair with Ko Jo
In term of synergy with Ko Jo , HDP R 10 is better than db2

Db2 stock
has more warmer sound , slightly has thicker will mid and bass impact slightly
More than HDP R10.
SQ not as clean as HDP R10

DB 2 mod is better than HDP R10 :D

My IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back