Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere:
Dec 15, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #1,111 of 1,681
Not to mention the Kogan is pretty much extinct atm, making obtaining a copy of it for comparison somewhat problematic. My own Ruizu has yet to arrive. According to singpost mine is still soul searching on it's way to Aus from Singapore. If I'm lucky it's probably already arrived at some detention center somewhere 
tongue.gif

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #1,112 of 1,681
Not to mention the Kogan is pretty much extinct atm, making obtaining a copy of it for comparison somewhat problematic. My own Ruizu has yet to arrive. According to singpost mine is still soul searching on it's way to Aus from Singapore. If I'm lucky it's probably already arrived at some detention center somewhere :p  

I might be able to lend my Kogan unit to you for some comparisons. I'm just getting it back from Melbourne. Probably do this after Christmas though.

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #1,113 of 1,681
I might be able to lend my Kogan unit to you for some comparisons. I'm just getting it back from Melbourne. Probably do this after Christmas though.

Generous and tempting offer, though I think it might make more sense for me to send my Ruizu X02 down to you instead as you have a lot more gears to test and compare it with as opposed to me trying it out with my meager non-existent entry level collection 

On the flipside, maybe when it finally does finally arrive, Kogan might begin selling their MP3s again.

But I doubt we'll be any comparison between the two until after New Year's. It's that time of the year where Santa booked up all the couriers.

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #1,114 of 1,681
Generous and tempting offer, though I think it might make more sense for me to send my Ruizu X02 down to you instead as you have a lot more gears to test and compare it with as opposed to me trying it out with my meager non-existent entry level collection 

On the flipside, maybe when it finally does finally arrive, Kogan might begin selling their MP3s again.

But I doubt we'll be any comparison between the two until after New Year's. It's that time of the year where Santa booked up all the couriers.

We'll Work something out, minimal rental fees from my side. :wink:

Maybe we can have a week or two with both each.

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #1,116 of 1,681
Is there a way to reload the operating system software? With Apple we are so used to continuous updates. This would also be a way of making sure all is well instead of using the Kogan system check?

My Kogan is acting up and crashing the operating system a lot, though it could be due to the 70% humidity here?

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #1,117 of 1,681
Is there a way to reload the operating system software? With Apple we are so used to continuous updates. This would also be a way of making sure all is well instead of using the Kogan system check?

My Kogan is acting up and crashing the operating system a lot, though it could be due to the 70% humidity here?

Sounds like it could be an SD card issue as well. I have that happen to some of my peripherals as they keep freezing up, crashing and restarting at random intervals. Try by substituting a good SD card and if that works fine you might want to look into reformatting your current one. Do be careful with that though especially with 32GB+ cards. FAT32 format gets funny with SD cards of that size and above.

Dec 16, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #1,118 of 1,681
Well, I just tried another card, same thing. To tell you the truth, I was not expecting it to last that long. A $29 device from China is a $29 device from China regardless of amazing SQ. Fun while it lasted and I would buy another on the chance it would last?

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #1,120 of 1,681
  That is unfortunate.

Well, it still works but you have to boot it up a few times before making it to a file to play. Once it is playing it is fine. I still use it. I have a couple DAPs so I'm OK.

After removing the back I do see a couple of places to remove some glue, still it acts up even with no card in it so I know it is not my cards.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #1,121 of 1,681
  Well, it still works but you have to boot it up a few times before making it to a file to play. Once it is playing it is fine. I still use it. I have a couple DAPs so I'm OK.

After removing the back I do see a couple of places to remove some glue, still it acts up even with no card in it so I know it is not my cards.

Maybe you just got a defective one Moose. S*it happens. Too bad, sorry.

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #1,122 of 1,681
Maybe you just got a defective one Moose. S*it happens. Too bad, sorry.

I still use it, and I like the sound so much I would buy another varient of it in a hart-beat. It takes about 30 to 40 seconds longer to cue up a song, due to crashes, but then plays the whole album.

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #1,123 of 1,681
I don't know what all the hoo-haa is with the Kogan, I got one after all the proseltising on this forum and it sounds 'ok', only plays FLAC up to 16 bit and doesn't play HiDef WAV files, and basically build quality is like a $30 MP4 player..

I got my Pono player earlier this week and it completely demolished the Kogan for sound quality, the Kogan sounds 'ok', but the Pono the clarity and soundstage is just a different league to
the Kogan..

I am thinking either 

1. People on this forum aren't actually music fans
2. Many of the DAP's like the FiioX3, Kowon, etc are actually over-rated rubbish
3. The Pono is setting the standard for what an HD DAC should be outside of the AK units....

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #1,124 of 1,681
I'm surprised that a $400 player sounds better than a $30 one.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #1,125 of 1,681
I don't know what all the hoo-haa is with the Kogan, I got one after all the proseltising on this forum and it sounds 'ok', only plays FLAC up to 16 bit and doesn't play HiDef WAV files, and basically build quality is like a $30 MP4 player..

I got my Pono player earlier this week and it completely demolished the Kogan for sound quality, the Kogan sounds 'ok', but the Pono the clarity and soundstage is just a different league to
the Kogan..

I am thinking either 

1. People on this forum aren't actually music fans
2. Many of the DAP's like the FiioX3, Kowon, etc are actually over-rated rubbish
3. The Pono is setting the standard for what an HD DAC should be outside of the AK units....

How much is the pono and how much is the Kogan??!

It's not that I don't like my music but if I can choose to bring something out with me whether it be to uni or driving in the car, I would probably choose the Kogan. Because it sounds good and I don't have to worry about it being trashed and loose the resale value. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back