Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 10, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #63,961 of 64,160
I took my AS24 out on a walk yesterday, it had been on my DAP playing for about 20 hours, without being in my ears, just on the table next to me. My wife and I got a bad head cold, so didn’t feel like listening for a couple of days.

When I listened yesterday, wow, it sounded amazingly good. ( Could have been the cold medication working). It sounded fine out of the box, but with about 30 hours on it , it started to sing, sounded a lot warmer, very detailed, amazing highs, detailed and sparkling. Tight bass, not a bass head bass, can’t match the KZ AST, but definitely nice. I bought it on sale at AliExpress, was a chance purchase because my AST was losing the left ear connection.

Glad I bought it, if you like a nice neutral IEM, balanced and a great price, I highly recommend it.

May 10, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #63,962 of 64,160
* Is the Trio a rebadged DQ6 with flippy bits? I gave those away and kind of missed the little buggers after the fact. The cut-away sales graphics seem to infer a different driver arrangement than DQ6. Might the new trio excel in Jazz where the DQ6 fumbled? Will they still rock an AC/DC or a Poison album as deftly as a late 80s vintage boom box? My tiger striped spandex leggings are very intrigued, even if the rest of the world would have me shot dead on the spot for wearing them.
Hi and welcome back :raised_hand:. I reckon the Trio would be great for the music you describe. I bypassed the DQ6 but this is from @IEMbiker below:
I think you can skip the DQ6s and get the Trio. I got my at USD 20. I own the og DQ6 and the Trio is all round better then the DQ6, especially the bass quality.

May 10, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #63,963 of 64,160
I just got a Castor Harman in an AE promotion, for less than 7€. This is insane value!

One thing I noticed about this Castor in comparison with the improved bass (IB) version, it's that the Harman does not come with a foam tip, which is a shame, as I love the foamies that came with the IB.

I did not tinker yet with the Harman's crossover dials. What do you recommend?
It's possible my Castor Harman was a bad set, but I didn't find any settings that had acceptable bass. OTOH I just got the Castor Bass and I'm enjoying it quite a bit with UUDU or UDDU, in case you haven't played with your Castor Bass settings. :)

May 10, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #63,964 of 64,160
* Castor / Merga - dual 10mm/8mm driver. Too cheap to ignore? If the connectors break, what can we expect of dipswitch assemblies? My hopes are not high and since I EQ, the Merga is high on the list.

* CRA Pro: KZ being the trends chaser they are had dug in to the super thin / rigid diaphragm story. I don't expect them to replace my Heart Mirrors (which died *mad grief*, different thread), but might these out-resolve the normal CRA, or do we just have here some prototypical marketing embellishment from our friends? They look a bit premium and I'm genuinely curious if these might tick a few boxes for me.

* Planar sets: The PS1 seems well received and I like the cut of that top-end jib. In reality I don't think these will do anything better than my BA10 or GK10. Still, I can't help but to wonder what the PR3 sounds like if it were massively over driven on a balanced cable. Since switching to *coughs* Windows 11, I discovered that the Linux driver was robbing me from a lot of power in the E1DA PowerDAC 2.1. That thing - lordy lordy lordy. It was loud before, but now it's just out of control! I can't use the PowerDAC with more than about 8% volume on a balanced cable (if I'm pushing it). I think I'm ready to sink some guitar driven ear claws into a pair of these and play with my food a bit.

* CCA Pianist: I know. I'm a complete sucker for CCA, but this does look interesting ... are two BAs enough to break the cycle of mediocrity that flows down the brackish and polluted waters of previous KZ 1+1 offerings?

* any notables I missed?

Maybe it was my set, but Castor Harman = trash and Castor Bass = good/very good. The bass is PHAT but not tubby. The super treble is... eh. They sound great with metal/rock (I use T-Ride and Leprous as my reference) and classic hip hop (Dr Dre and Public Enemy).

May 10, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #63,965 of 64,160
I took my AS24 out on a walk yesterday, it had been on my DAP playing for about 20 hours, without being in my ears, just on the table next to me. My wife and I got a bad head cold, so didn’t feel like listening for a couple of days.

When I listened yesterday, wow, it sounded amazingly good. ( Could have been the cold medication working). It sounded fine out of the box, but with about 30 hours on it , it started to sing, sounded a lot warmer, very detailed, amazing highs, detailed and sparkling. Tight bass, not a bass head bass, can’t match the KZ AST, but definitely nice. I bought it on sale at AliExpress, was a chance purchase because my AST was losing the left ear connection.

Glad I bought it, if you like a nice neutral IEM, balanced and a great price, I highly recommend it.
IDK where I heard this, but WAY back in the 20teens when BAs began to get popular (and me and my friend tried some Klipsch BA earbuds which were passable at best,) that BAs don't need to be "burnt in" like DDs do. hmm...

May 10, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #63,966 of 64,160
Interesting. It was a short catchup after roughly two years of letting my chifi collection simmer down to favorites and survivors. I think around the time of the YT tuner drama broke out is when I put my credit card away and got back to work.

2 Year KZ / CCA Set Update

Permanently Deceased:

CCA NRA. I missed these but not enough to replace them. I had to admit at the time that the ZEX Pro was better, but those too developed connector issues around the same time. More on that later.

Revived from the Dead:

CCA CRA: these have died and been resuscitated like 3 or 4 times in my rotation. They get relegated to a dark corner but I keep coming back, like a schmuck. Why? They're a great pair of beaters, that's why. They suffered a small channel imbalance which caused me to write them off, but later I managed to correct this out on my btr3k at just "L2" (out of a possible L30 something) and the CRA have soldiered on faultlessly ever since on their stock cables. Resolution isn't very good when the music gets busy and ... oddly enough, sometimes it feels like the bottom end has dropped out of mine. Weird. The venting is also a little whacky - sometimes it sounded like the left shell had been split open, but taping over the vent made this sensation go away ... mostly. Vent on the right channel is clear but sounds more closed. I think I got a janky pair of these given the hype but they keep ticking.

ZEX Pro (sans cursed crin badge): Love/Hate. Out of the box, they're just so soooo ... perfunctory. Around the same time that the connector pin on my NRAs experienced a rapid unscheduled disassembly, I hate-tossed the ZEX Pro into a box alongside of them and quickly forgot about the whole mess whilst listening to Wagner on the GK10s and imagining dirt being tossed into a grave from the perspective of someone being buried alive. Like the CRAs, these developed a channel imbalance, and the pin connector was damaged so I wrote them off and did what needed done. *dusts off*

So after getting scratched up and bouncing around in my junk box for nearly two years, I exhumed these from the cardboard grave. A factory KZ cable and some precision crimping from a very finely pointed set of needle nose pliers brought the little bastards back to life. Mysteriously, the channel balance seems to be diminished ... it's not totally gone but corrects out with just a slight adjustment. Before you point out the obvious, the connector damage was to the right piece, but the volume drop was on the undamaged left.

The ZEX Pro are just as I remembered them. Preeeetty good. Not great. But pretty good. On a challenging track (hey Nadine even penned a lyric with Pokemon in there) the ZEX Pro sparkle and show off their resolution, separation, and so-so staging. Drums, two styles of vocals, strange things happening above 12k, and a driving bass line: this track is a pop driven sonic torture test.

As some of you may recall, I'm a shameless EQ'er and the ZEX Pros need a significant lift on the upper end for me to enjoy. Out of the box I just don't like the tuning at all. I will likely hang them back up and leave them to zombie around some more until I have some need to compare the great tuning viral outbreak against something else.

Long Term Update:

KZ ZAX. these are almost 4 years old now and are still my spouse's daily drivers that I occasionally borrow without consent. The ZAX have been a real set of troopers. These are KZ OGs. When pushed the bottom end is just a lil' soggy but everything else is so sweet. She spends most of her time with them watching the streamers so crisp dialogue and nice rumbling sound tracks don't cause these to break any sweat. I marginally prefer the ZAX to the CCA C12, but I think they are very similar, truth be told.

My KZ BA10s and CCA C12's are still in impeccable working order but I don't spend a lot of time with either set since those cheapo AKG K52 are nearly welded onto my head when I'm at my desk. This admission is just as demeaning and unholy as it reads. The BA10s are still probably the best sounding pair I own. Since I WFH, the sound isolation can be a bit too much and I sometimes miss the calls for a honey-do or a scratch at the door from Doggo who would rather burst and die than to besmirch his favorite rug, which is all of them. Last but not least, I've found that I'm vulnerable to sneak attack while wearing these which is less than favorable to my aging and faded cardiovascular system. sidenote: CRA are really good at blocking out just enough noise to concentrate while not being completely shut out to the room. As a result of this unfortunate bundling of high quality materials, the BA10s and C12's stay coiled up in a dark canister away from UV most of the time.

I noted that the BA10 have disappeared altogether from AliExpress. I remain too poor for enjoying single malt in private behind a locked door, but some fine day, my pair of BA10 will be in great shape to enjoy it. *wipes cold coffee slobber from chin* OK. Enough chitter chatter, it's time for serious business.

Pokemon Shopping Questions

Because it's been too long, I have to flush some money I don't really have down the toilet. Luckily, since I love the KZ brand and everything they're about unapologetically and without reservation, I know that it's gonna be a 1 button eco-flush.

* Is the Trio a rebadged DQ6 with flippy bits? I gave those away and kind of missed the little buggers after the fact. The cut-away sales graphics seem to infer a different driver arrangement than DQ6. Might the new trio excel in Jazz where the DQ6 fumbled? Will they still rock an AC/DC or a Poison album as deftly as a late 80s vintage boom box? My tiger striped spandex leggings are very intrigued, even if the rest of the world would have me shot dead on the spot for wearing them.

* Vader triple. "High Resolution" - TBD.

* Castor / Merga - dual 10mm/8mm driver. Too cheap to ignore? If the connectors break, what can we expect of dipswitch assemblies? My hopes are not high and since I EQ, the Merga is high on the list.

* CRA Pro: KZ being the trends chaser they are had dug in to the super thin / rigid diaphragm story. I don't expect them to replace my Heart Mirrors (which died *mad grief*, different thread), but might these out-resolve the normal CRA, or do we just have here some prototypical marketing embellishment from our friends? They look a bit premium and I'm genuinely curious if these might tick a few boxes for me.

* Planar sets: The PS1 seems well received and I like the cut of that top-end jib. In reality I don't think these will do anything better than my BA10 or GK10. Still, I can't help but to wonder what the PR3 sounds like if it were massively over driven on a balanced cable. Since switching to *coughs* Windows 11, I discovered that the Linux driver was robbing me from a lot of power in the E1DA PowerDAC 2.1. That thing - lordy lordy lordy. It was loud before, but now it's just out of control! I can't use the PowerDAC with more than about 8% volume on a balanced cable (if I'm pushing it). I think I'm ready to sink some guitar driven ear claws into a pair of these and play with my food a bit.

* CCA Pianist: I know. I'm a complete sucker for CCA, but this does look interesting ... are two BAs enough to break the cycle of mediocrity that flows down the brackish and polluted waters of previous KZ 1+1 offerings?

* any notables I missed?

I've owned many KZ pairs, mostly REALLY old ones from the 2010s, and never, ever have I had a 2-pin connector break. And I change out cables, and/or try them with Bluetooth adaptors not infrequently. The most sketchy ones were the ZS5 and 6, but even they haven't broke so far lol.

May 11, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #63,967 of 64,160
Interesting. It was a short catchup after roughly two years of letting my chifi collection simmer down to favorites and survivors. I think around the time of the YT tuner drama broke out is when I put my credit card away and got back to work.

2 Year KZ / CCA Set Update

Permanently Deceased:

CCA NRA. I missed these but not enough to replace them. I had to admit at the time that the ZEX Pro was better, but those too developed connector issues around the same time. More on that later.

Revived from the Dead:

CCA CRA: these have died and been resuscitated like 3 or 4 times in my rotation. They get relegated to a dark corner but I keep coming back, like a schmuck. Why? They're a great pair of beaters, that's why. They suffered a small channel imbalance which caused me to write them off, but later I managed to correct this out on my btr3k at just "L2" (out of a possible L30 something) and the CRA have soldiered on faultlessly ever since on their stock cables. Resolution isn't very good when the music gets busy and ... oddly enough, sometimes it feels like the bottom end has dropped out of mine. Weird. The venting is also a little whacky - sometimes it sounded like the left shell had been split open, but taping over the vent made this sensation go away ... mostly. Vent on the right channel is clear but sounds more closed. I think I got a janky pair of these given the hype but they keep ticking.

ZEX Pro (sans cursed crin badge): Love/Hate. Out of the box, they're just so soooo ... perfunctory. Around the same time that the connector pin on my NRAs experienced a rapid unscheduled disassembly, I hate-tossed the ZEX Pro into a box alongside of them and quickly forgot about the whole mess whilst listening to Wagner on the GK10s and imagining dirt being tossed into a grave from the perspective of someone being buried alive. Like the CRAs, these developed a channel imbalance, and the pin connector was damaged so I wrote them off and did what needed done. *dusts off*

So after getting scratched up and bouncing around in my junk box for nearly two years, I exhumed these from the cardboard grave. A factory KZ cable and some precision crimping from a very finely pointed set of needle nose pliers brought the little bastards back to life. Mysteriously, the channel balance seems to be diminished ... it's not totally gone but corrects out with just a slight adjustment. Before you point out the obvious, the connector damage was to the right piece, but the volume drop was on the undamaged left.

The ZEX Pro are just as I remembered them. Preeeetty good. Not great. But pretty good. On a challenging track (hey Nadine even penned a lyric with Pokemon in there) the ZEX Pro sparkle and show off their resolution, separation, and so-so staging. Drums, two styles of vocals, strange things happening above 12k, and a driving bass line: this track is a pop driven sonic torture test.

As some of you may recall, I'm a shameless EQ'er and the ZEX Pros need a significant lift on the upper end for me to enjoy. Out of the box I just don't like the tuning at all. I will likely hang them back up and leave them to zombie around some more until I have some need to compare the great tuning viral outbreak against something else.

Long Term Update:

KZ ZAX. these are almost 4 years old now and are still my spouse's daily drivers that I occasionally borrow without consent. The ZAX have been a real set of troopers. These are KZ OGs. When pushed the bottom end is just a lil' soggy but everything else is so sweet. She spends most of her time with them watching the streamers so crisp dialogue and nice rumbling sound tracks don't cause these to break any sweat. I marginally prefer the ZAX to the CCA C12, but I think they are very similar, truth be told.

My KZ BA10s and CCA C12's are still in impeccable working order but I don't spend a lot of time with either set since those cheapo AKG K52 are nearly welded onto my head when I'm at my desk. This admission is just as demeaning and unholy as it reads. The BA10s are still probably the best sounding pair I own. Since I WFH, the sound isolation can be a bit too much and I sometimes miss the calls for a honey-do or a scratch at the door from Doggo who would rather burst and die than to besmirch his favorite rug, which is all of them. Last but not least, I've found that I'm vulnerable to sneak attack while wearing these which is less than favorable to my aging and faded cardiovascular system. sidenote: CRA are really good at blocking out just enough noise to concentrate while not being completely shut out to the room. As a result of this unfortunate bundling of high quality materials, the BA10s and C12's stay coiled up in a dark canister away from UV most of the time.

I noted that the BA10 have disappeared altogether from AliExpress. I remain too poor for enjoying single malt in private behind a locked door, but some fine day, my pair of BA10 will be in great shape to enjoy it. *wipes cold coffee slobber from chin* OK. Enough chitter chatter, it's time for serious business.

Pokemon Shopping Questions

Because it's been too long, I have to flush some money I don't really have down the toilet. Luckily, since I love the KZ brand and everything they're about unapologetically and without reservation, I know that it's gonna be a 1 button eco-flush.

* Vader triple. "High Resolution" - TBD.

* any notables I missed?

I love my BA10. The best KZ in my collection. So well tuned and the old 30095 BAs are smooth and clean. Listening with NiceHCK Black Cat and Xduoo X20. This is excellent:

May 11, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #63,968 of 64,160
Hi and welcome back :raised_hand:. I reckon the Trio would be great for the music you describe. I bypassed the DQ6 but this is from @IEMbiker below:

Thanks! It's nice to see familiar usernames still haunting here and the Discovery thread. :wave: Trio is a definitely a strong contender and I see a shop unloading them for 20 euro rn on AliE. Nimweth's review paints these as being very good but a little on on the warm side where I tend to reach for cold/analytical with bright treble. The profile is certainly getting high marks from people with much more expensive sets who tend to value "smooth treble" which I take to mean that these have good coherency and would be a great choice for all-day pair.

These are interesting because I don't really have a pair that match that particular profile. Before pulling the trigger I'm going to wait to see more detail on the Vaders, which look to be the KZ version of the CCA Trio.

Maybe it was my set, but Castor Harman = trash and Castor Bass = good/very good. The bass is PHAT but not tubby. The super treble is... eh. They sound great with metal/rock (I use T-Ride and Leprous as my reference) and classic hip hop (Dr Dre and Public Enemy).

Thanks, Scrofulous! yeah the 10mm XUN looks real interesting! I think these look perfect for that all-day low volume lofi / ambient / wave / electro soundtrack I tend to use as background noise.

I've owned many KZ pairs, mostly REALLY old ones from the 2010s, and never, ever have I had a 2-pin connector break. And I change out cables, and/or try them with Bluetooth adaptors not infrequently. The most sketchy ones were the ZS5 and 6, but even they haven't broke so far lol.

Yeah to be fair, my breakage is limited to CRA, ZEX Pro, and NRA, and I'm still using 2 of the 3. The plastic just crumbled around the metal female tubes starting from the top, and the NRA just plain broke off while also crumbling. I only use .75mm QDC cables and don't mix between my non-KZ/CCA pairs.

May 11, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #63,969 of 64,160
I love my BA10. The best KZ in my collection. So well tuned and the old 30095 BAs are smooth and clean. Listening with NiceHCK Black Cat and Xduoo X20. This is excellent:

:100: For some reason the BA10's sound like BA20 compared to ZAX or my C12. Less was clearly more with that set! Did you have a chance to review the Krila's "revised" 30095? This same driver is in ZEX Pro and it bothers me because I thought that set should have much better resolution than they do.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #63,970 of 64,160
Thanks! It's nice to see familiar usernames still haunting here and the Discovery thread. :wave: Trio is a definitely a strong contender and I see a shop unloading them for 20 euro rn on AliE. Nimweth's review paints these as being very good but a little on on the warm side where I tend to reach for cold/analytical with bright treble. The profile is certainly getting high marks from people with much more expensive sets who tend to value "smooth treble" which I take to mean that these have good coherency and would be a great choice for all-day pair.

These are interesting because I don't really have a pair that match that particular profile. Before pulling the trigger I'm going to wait to see more detail on the Vaders, which look to be the KZ version of the CCA Trio.

Thanks, Scrofulous! yeah the 10mm XUN looks real interesting! I think these look perfect for that all-day low volume lofi / ambient / wave / electro soundtrack I tend to use as background noise.

Yeah to be fair, my breakage is limited to CRA, ZEX Pro, and NRA, and I'm still using 2 of the 3. The plastic just crumbled around the metal female tubes starting from the top, and the NRA just plain broke off while also crumbling. I only use .75mm QDC cables and don't mix between my non-KZ/CCA pairs.
For me again: the ZEX, ZEX pro, CKX, AST and many others. QDC connectors at KZ/CCA were cracking like ice on a lake in spring.

May 11, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #63,972 of 64,160
:100: For some reason the BA10's sound like BA20 compared to ZAX or my C12. Less was clearly more with that set! Did you have a chance to review the Krila's "revised" 30095? This same driver is in ZEX Pro and it bothers me because I thought that set should have much better resolution than they do.
I haven't listened to the Krila for a while. I will have to get them out and see what I think.

May 11, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #63,973 of 64,160
Akros said that the Tangzu Xuan NV isn't as good as the Trio which has me screaming internally because I BADLY want that lovely red IEM over the rather ugly gray Trio... hmm.

May 11, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #63,974 of 64,160
Really enjoy my Castor Harman with CP100+ tips (I'm not a basshead, so I didn't pick the Bass version). When I'm in the mood for nightcore I turned on 1 and 2 switches, off the others. Usually I turned off all the switches or turn on only the third. Btw is the ZS10 Pro 2 or Vader high-resolution worth the upgrade? Thinking about grabbing another one a few months later

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #63,975 of 64,160
Really enjoy my Castor Harman with CP100+ tips (I'm not a basshead, so I didn't pick the Bass version). When I'm in the mood for nightcore I turned on 1 and 2 switches, off the others. Usually I turned off all the switches or turn on only the third. Btw is the ZS10 Pro 2 or Vader high-resolution worth the upgrade? Thinking about grabbing another one a few months later
Haven't heard the Castors, but I'm loving the ZS10 pro 2s.. They have have a lot of treble though, but more refined than the old ZS6. Can be a bit sibilant on some songs prone to it, unlike the AS24.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back