Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 1, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #63,467 of 64,190
Hey guys,

If I were to buy a magnetic planar IEM between the PR2, PR3 and CCA PLA13, which one would you recommend? Reason for mentioning these three is because I'm from India, and these are the three that are available here.

After reading up a lot, I know about the QC issues of PR3 and everyone is saying we don't know whether one will get a good set or a set with problems. Hence, I'm thinking of ruling out PR3. So now only the PR2 and PLA13 remain. I don't know which version of PR2 the seller has. I guess I can only come to know after I buy it and open it up.

What would you recommend?

About dongles, I have a JM6 Pro and a DC03 Pro, so I don't think I'll have a problem of powering any of these IEMs.

Thanks in advance for the help :)

Do you prefer treble or bass emphasis? CCA PLA13 is a basshead IEM, KZ PR2 is a much brighter tuning. :L3000:

I prefer Tin Hifi P1 Max or Tangzu Wu Zetian over both.

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #63,468 of 64,190
Wu Zetian and PR1 Pro are way out of my budget. I can't even find Wu Zetian here, and the PR1 Pro is double the price of PR2.

Another thing that I wanted to confirm was whether I should rule out PR3. PR3 is actually $12 costlier than PR2 here (in India), and I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake ruling out PR3.

PR2 is pretty good for the price it is now selling for. Foam tips will reign in the harshness in the top end if required. Most of the hate was generated by changes made after the initial release (and reviews).

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #63,469 of 64,190
PR2 is pretty good for the price it is now selling for. Foam tips will reign in the harshness in the top end if required. Most of the hate was generated by changes made after the initial release (and reviews).
I liked the PR3 better, they are much more balanced and have a more neutral sound

Feb 1, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #63,470 of 64,190
Thanks for the info. I was quite confused, and at the recommendations of a couple of friends, I went with PR1 Pro. They said it's the best. There were a lot of variations in PR2 and I wasn't sure which version I was going to get and whether it was going to be any good. I eliminated PR3 because I read that there were too many QC issues. If I got a problematic unit, it'll be a huge problem since I won't be able to do anything about it here in India.

Over here in India, PR1 Pro was $84, CCA PLA13 and PR2 were $49, and PR3 was $60. This is actually a lot of money, definitely the highest I've ever spent on IEMs. PR1 Pro choice felt logical given all the above issues. Ruled out CCA PLA13 because I read PR2 was better than PLA13.

But I'm also reading somewhere that some people are saying the PR2 and PR3 are better than the PR1 Pro and now I'm again confused whether I overspent on old tech :|

Would love to know your thoughts on this. Thank you!

Edit: I should receive PR1 Pro by tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I can return them if I want.

Edit II: In case it's important to know, I have a JM6 Pro dongle, iBasso DC03 Pro dongle. I also have Soncoz SGD1 dac with Acoustic Portrait Swara headphone amplifier, which I use to drive my Sennheiser HD 650. Not sure if I can use that amp to drive the planar IEMs but can definitely look into it.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #63,471 of 64,190
CCA Trio 1111 (Default Setting From Factory) with KZ Foam Tips (Blue), with Truthear Zero Long Nozzle, Wide Bore Tips (Red), with Starline Tips (Purple) Left-Right Average measured with MiniDSP Ears.

Quick subjective sound impressions with Truthear eartips: Very open sound (less cramped soundstage and imaging than my Castor Bass 0010 [my favourite setting] with same eartips; will have to remeasure) , non-fatiguing fizzy treble, really good detached, thick bass (contributes to soundstage height imo).

CCA Trio 1111 (Default Setting From Factory) with KZ Foam Tips (Blue), with Truthear Zero Long...jpg

Bass sounds great with this track

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #63,472 of 64,190
CCA Trio 1111 (Default Setting From Factory) with KZ Foam Tips (Blue), with Truthear Zero Long Nozzle, Wide Bore Tips (Red), with Starline Tips (Purple) Left-Right Average measured with MiniDSP Ears.

Quick subjective sound impressions with Truthear eartips: Very open sound (less cramped soundstage and imaging than my Castor Bass 0010 [my favourite setting] with same eartips; will have to remeasure) , non-fatiguing fizzy treble, really good detached, thick bass (contributes to soundstage height imo).

CCA Trio 1111 (Default Setting From Factory) with KZ Foam Tips (Blue), with Truthear Zero Long...jpg

Bass sounds great with this track

Truthear NOVA with KZ Starline Eartips (Green) and CCA TRIO 1111 Setting with Truthear Zero Long Nozzle Wide Bore Eartips (Orange) Left-Right Average:
Truthear NOVA with KZ Starline Eartips (Green) and CCA TRIO 1111 Setting with Truthear Zero Lo...jpg

Feb 2, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #63,473 of 64,190
Just got these this morning, but haven't listened to them yet. Just measured them.

Paid $23 Canadian taxes included with $3 coupon from Linsoul via Amazon

KZ EDX PRO X with KZ Starline Eartips (Green), KZ EDX Ultra with JVC Spiral Dot Eartips, KZ ZS...jpg

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #63,474 of 64,190
Just got these this morning, but haven't listened to them yet. Just measured them.

Paid $23 Canadian taxes included with $3 coupon from Linsoul.

KZ EDX PRO X with KZ Starline Eartips (Green), KZ EDX Ultra with JVC Spiral Dot Eartips, KZ ZS...jpg

So far I think the EDX Pro X is an upgrade in terms of treble presentation compared to EDX Ultra both using JVC Spiral Dot Eartips: not grainy, metallic, sufficient air and sparkle, not as biting

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #63,475 of 64,190
Thanks for the info. I was quite confused, and at the recommendations of a couple of friends, I went with PR1 Pro. They said it's the best. There were a lot of variations in PR2 and I wasn't sure which version I was going to get and whether it was going to be any good. I eliminated PR3 because I read that there were too many QC issues. If I got a problematic unit, it'll be a huge problem since I won't be able to do anything about it here in India.

Over here in India, PR1 Pro was $84, CCA PLA13 and PR2 were $49, and PR3 was $60. This is actually a lot of money, definitely the highest I've ever spent on IEMs. PR1 Pro choice felt logical given all the above issues. Ruled out CCA PLA13 because I read PR2 was better than PLA13.

But I'm also reading somewhere that some people are saying the PR2 and PR3 are better than the PR1 Pro and now I'm again confused whether I overspent on old tech :|

Would love to know your thoughts on this. Thank you!

Edit: I should receive PR1 Pro by tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I can return them if I want.

Edit II: In case it's important to know, I have a JM6 Pro dongle, iBasso DC03 Pro dongle. I also have Soncoz SGD1 dac with Acoustic Portrait Swara headphone amplifier, which I use to drive my Sennheiser HD 650. Not sure if I can use that amp to drive the planar IEMs but can definitely look into it.

Four things to bear in mind when looking at reviews.​

1/ When did it come out? If it's really soon after release, then it's often been sent out early for a review and may not reflect later products. Too soon after release and the review may have been rushed to meet timelines. I believe that burn in can make some difference in sound, to a varying degree depending on driver type. Manufacturers may also be reluctant to send those samples to anyone who will judge them critically. Lastly they will only be compared to other IEMs that have also been released at that time. Also consider that the surge of excitement following new releases consists largely of marketing hype exploiting people's FOMO.

2/ Everybody has different preferences, including reviewers. It's easier to be enthusiastic over something you like. What types of music you listen to will also come into play.

3/ Confirmation bias and buyer's remorse. While some people will scream in outrage seeking attention. Most of us don't like putting our hands up and say "They got me again! I was sucked in by slick marketing and they took my money.".

4/ The quality of audio products has been rapidly improving. Some of the differences between products are pretty minor and only become apparent in a careful back to back comparison. Enjoy what you have and don't fret too much about the small stuff. Diminishing returns is very real, and spending more money doesn't guarantee significant improvements.

Brain is faltering, need coffee!
☕

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #63,476 of 64,190
I fully agree with @Carpet. To add his advice I would say, among reviewers try to find the ones that seem to like similar sound signatures to yours.
This is not by any means full proof as people are also biased towards certain companies for a number of reasons but, reviewers with similar preference to your will often mean when they say a headphone or IEM is good, there’s a higher chance that you’ll also like it.

In time you’ll find the FR (I know it’s not everything) that works best for you, and then you’ll be able to make better buying choices.

Feb 3, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #63,478 of 64,190
So far I think the EDX Pro X is an upgrade in terms of treble presentation compared to EDX Ultra both using JVC Spiral Dot Eartips: not grainy, metallic, sufficient air and sparkle, not as biting

hows the vocals?
Female and male vocals sound correct imo - I listen to mostly 80s Citypop, recent Indie Rock tracks: clear, full bodied, not sibilant, not nasal sounding.

On a side note, the bass is much more cleaner and controlled compared to the EDX Ultra ( and my CCA CRA+with Spiral Dots - not graphed), contrary to what my graph show imo. Bass is not bloated and does not bleed much into the rest of the frequencies.

On another note, technicalities (to my understanding - soundstage, imaging, sound separation), tonality are better than my EDX Ultra, on par with ZSN Pro 2 both with JVC Spiral Dots. I think would I take EDX Pro X over ZSN Pro 2 overall because the treble is cleaner, less metallic, more organic. Outside KZ/CCA, I think the treble (and overall sound) is better than my 7Hz Zero OG, Tangzu Wan’er both with stock ear tips and even my recent Simgot EW200 with KB Ear 07 ear tips. But I should add these impressions are based on less than a day of overall usage. I probably spent more than 4 hours with the these iems on my BTR5 at home and on the go.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #63,480 of 64,190
Female and male vocals sound correct imo - I listen to mostly 80s Citypop, recent Indie Rock tracks: clear, full bodied, not sibilant, not nasal sounding.

On a side note, the bass is much more cleaner and controlled compared to the EDX Ultra ( and my CCA CRA+with Spiral Dots - not graphed), contrary to what my graph show imo. Bass is not bloated and does not bleed much into the rest of the frequencies.

On another note, technicalities (to my understanding - soundstage, imaging, sound separation), tonality are better than my EDX Ultra, on par with ZSN Pro 2 both with JVC Spiral Dots. I think would I take EDX Pro X over ZSN Pro 2 overall because the treble is cleaner, less metallic, more organic. Outside KZ/CCA, I think the treble (and overall sound) is better than my 7Hz Zero OG, Tangzu Wan’er both with stock ear tips and even my recent Simgot EW200 with KB Ear 07 ear tips. But I should add these impressions are based on less than a day of overall usage. I probably spent more than 4 hours with the these iems on my BTR5 at home and on the go.
EDXproX is at $7 in my place right now and you just make me really tempted to buy this barely marketed iem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back