Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 25, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #63,137 of 63,916
Nov 26, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #63,139 of 63,916
Ian Fann was doing live measurements and comparison with other planars, I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but at least the imbalance was nowhere near as bad as TDM's (there's still some though).

It was a very worthy video. But not very riveting. He said the PR3 is a very good value iem. But he placed it's raw sound behind the s12 and timeless AE but above the Stellaris but said it's technicalities were only second to the s12.

I couldn't force my self to watch the comparisons to previous KZ planars. I think he said it was similar to the to the pr2 on terms of base but had more brilliance.

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #63,140 of 63,916
I couldn't force my self to watch the comparisons to previous KZ planars. I think he said it was similar to the to the pr2 on terms of base but had more brilliance.
His PR1 Pro measurement in the video is interesting, one of the IEMs seems to have failed in an interesting way, the FR is a completely flat line up to 1kHz, but after that it's completely fine and same as the other ear. How does that even happen? What can fail for something like this to happen?
Doesn't seem to be a problem with his setup, as he repeats it, and then moves on to other iems and it works just fine.

Nov 26, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #63,143 of 63,916
Salnotes are to bright for me. Against better judgement I ordered the PR3. Probably sound like crap but I couldn’t help myself. Guess I’ll never learn…
*edit* did head fi automatically changed the word s*it in to crap??? 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #63,144 of 63,916
Salnotes are to bright for me. Against better judgement I ordered the PR3. Probably sound like crap but I couldn’t help myself. Guess I’ll never learn…
Whyyyyy :raising_hand:? To be honest, Salnotes isn't very bright for me. But I understand that others who want to feel the beat/bass, need to crank up the volume, and this brings more brightness.

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #63,145 of 63,916
Salnotes Zero 2 update consist of *check notes*, making it less bright, give it more bass/body, and new driver with upgrade in bass and mids technicality.
so, i think its not just you that have issue with OG salnotes Zero

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #63,146 of 63,916
Salnotes Zero 2 update consist of *check notes*, making it less bright, give it more bass/body, and new driver with upgrade in bass and mids technicality.
so, i think its not just you.
that's a pass from me too then :smile:

Nov 27, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #63,147 of 63,916

KZ PR2 was painfully bright, much more than 7Hz Salnotes Zero. By the graphs we've seen, PR3 will achieve a similar amusing tuning. :triportsad:

Head fi has a few other spell checking surprises!:ksc75smile:

Nov 27, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #63,148 of 63,916
I am testing the PR3 at the moment and I am experiencing a very different sound from other earlier impressions posted here. I am finding it very smooth with no undue treble emphasis at all. The bass is warm and rich, not as fast as a BA but very natural. The same applies to the mids which are similar to that on the TRI i3 which is an achievement. The treble is deceptively extended but very gentle. Staging and imaging are also very good. I am impressed so far. I am using the medium Starline tips, the stock cable and an Xduoo X20 DAP. Timbre all round is very nice, string instruments especially and the PR3 is fairly power hungry, I am at 66% volume on the X20. It's a good one.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #63,150 of 63,916
I have the PR2, and am thrilled.
However, I have the new version without damping on the driver.
Therefore I have to lower the treble. Here's a measurement:

g4EKRsu.png

I'm going to try the PR3 now. They shouldn't have treble emphasis at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back