Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 25, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #63,121 of 64,191
Don't buy anything upon first release

Learn to read manufacturers messages of "You must buy this, it is really good"
as "You appear to have money, we want it" :rolling_eyes:

Reviews and sales are your friends!:L3000:
Well that is right, but on the other hand, we are talking about KZ here. By the time there is a good sample size of reviews out there, the IEM you buy may be internally completely different to what the reviewers had in their hands. So it's a gamble either way.

Nov 25, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #63,122 of 64,191
Yep in Chifi Land, it is extremely common that an IEM is forgotten a mere one week after launch.

If it is still talked about in three months we have a winner.
yup, "a classic" in chifi is still being actively sought after after a year.
I'm only aware of these cheap chifi that reached those status
Moondrop Aria
OG QKZ VK4
TinHiFi T2
Blon BL-03

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #63,123 of 64,191
Moondrop Aria
OG QKZ VK4
TinHiFi T2
Blon BL-03
I think TRN V80 would somewhat fit in there, although it's not really being recommended today, often being called outdated (whatever the hell that means in this context), it used to be pretty popular, and it's unusual for a chi-fi IEM to be actively sold for so many years.

Nov 25, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #63,124 of 64,191
I liked PR1 and PR2, except that plastic where cable attaches crumpled for both of them.
I've ordered PR3 too, the price is not bad.
I'd like to get some of more hi-end planars, but price is issue.
I purchased the PR2 only to have the left monitor not work (straight out the box as well). Nightmare sending it back and getting a refund which has killed my KZ quest (for just now anyway).

Top quality hi-end planars you will find in the Monolith M1060 and M1060C. These are my recent purchases and OMG, they are end game for me personally. I know these are planar cans as opposed to iems and are not for portable use, but unbelievable price to performance ratio. Doubt you'll stretch your money as far else where.:L3000:

Nov 25, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #63,125 of 64,191
Top quality hi-end planars you will find in the Monolith M1060 and M1060C. These are my recent purchases and OMG, they are end game for me personally.
Thanks for the tip, although I mostly use IEMs, I'm also eyeing some closed-back cans to get in the future(right now only got cheapo Superluxes), so far got DT770 and DT700 on my list to choose from, may actually add M1060C to it after I go through some reviews.

Going back on topic though, I see you have both ZS10 Pro and ZS10 Pro X, which one do you prefer?

Nov 25, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #63,126 of 64,191
I purchased the PR2 only to have the left monitor not work (straight out the box as well). Nightmare sending it back and getting a refund which has killed my KZ quest (for just now anyway).

Top quality hi-end planars you will find in the Monolith M1060 and M1060C. These are my recent purchases and OMG, they are end game for me personally. I know these are planar cans as opposed to iems and are not for portable use, but unbelievable price to performance ratio. Doubt you'll stretch your money as far else where.:L3000:
I have M1070, but it's not my favorite tho. Takes loud levels to sound good for me.

Nov 25, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #63,127 of 64,191
Thanks for the tip, although I mostly use IEMs, I'm also eyeing some closed-back cans to get in the future(right now only got cheapo Superluxes), so far got DT770 and DT700 on my list to choose from, may actually add M1060C to it after I go through some reviews.

Going back on topic though, I see you have both ZS10 Pro and ZS10 Pro X, which one do you prefer?
ZS10 Pro X is a superior upgrade compared to ZS10 Pro: better imaging, instrument separation and soundstage. The clarity and instrument separation is so good, the mids don't feel as recessed for a V-shape tuned monitor. If paired with the right DAC amp/dongle, the holographic nature of sound is simply unbelievable for their price point but YMMV. DT770s are really good too btw - flat line neutral and tight bass.

Nov 25, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #63,128 of 64,191
PR3 arrived today. I have given it a quick listen via my Ruark R1 digital radio on Classic FM, a Beethoven piano Sonata. I have to say that it sounds very natural, not over-bright at all. Timbre seems spot-on with excellent detail and very easy on the ear. I also played this piece on my Samsung smartphone:

Again, a really smooth and natural sound, bass much better than I was expecting when reading the other early impressions. I will burn in and keep posting more thoughts but so far it's very positive.

Nov 25, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #63,129 of 64,191
Moondrop Aria
OG QKZ VK4
TinHiFi T2
Blon BL-03
Yeah, the legendary classic is mostly ToTL like SonyZ1R or MidFI adjacent like TanchJim Oxygen or Ikko OH10.

to note, that new VK4 might not longer part of the classic, as there is a stealth revision with altered FR.
so you might want to hunt for used iem

Nov 25, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #63,130 of 64,191
Yeah, the legendary classic is mostly ToTL like SonyZ1R or MidFI adjacent like TanchJim Oxygen or Ikko OH10.

to note, that new VK4 might not longer part of the classic, as there is a stealth revision with altered FR.
so you might want to hunt for used iem
I have bought the OG VK4s before they pulled that stealth revision fortunately IMG_20231125_221401.jpg

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #63,131 of 64,191
Tried the PR3 with my Aiderlot DC02 dongle, the extra power has brought out the treble sparkle and the soundstage is very good indeed. It'll be my DAPs next.

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #63,132 of 64,191
One should not expect very much depth from the PR series. It's present but the very tall stage gives it uneven holographic presentation. It could be the fault of the driver manufacturing I suppose. If we set our expectations, then we won't be disappointed.

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #63,133 of 64,191
One should not expect very much depth from the PR series. It's present but the very tall stage gives it uneven holographic presentation. It could be the fault of the driver manufacturing I suppose. If we set our expectations, then we won't be disappointed.
I don't know why, but I think Planar generally lacks good depth, even though they boast a good soundstage, fast bass, and details. Could it be because they lack physical pulses, unlike their counterparts - dynamic drivers and BAs?

Nov 25, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #63,135 of 64,191
Castor Harmon are very impressive. Best KZ I've heard since BA10. Using them with jcally jm25. Frank Ocean all around me. Sublime. So resolving. Some times the hype is right.
I agree, Castor Harman is very good. But so is Krila and AS16 Pro. BA10 is still right up there though. Presently burning in the PR3, very promising so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back