Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 17, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #63,001 of 64,191
Order the pr3 blind. 31 dollars. Never ordered direct from kztws website before. Has anyone any experience of recieving orders from them in Western Europe and Ireland?
In Hungary, yes, 3 times. All went well.

Edit: also ordered the PR3 :wink: .

Nov 17, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #63,002 of 64,191
Hello all,

October 14th I bought my first IEM, the KZ DQS. I was impressed that you could buy something for less than ten euros (on sale) that also sounds nice. After this I bought another set of ZST (still in the packaging) and Krila. I also like the Krila very much, and control the IEMs with a BTR7.

The PR2 HBB should arrive tomorrow, and the PR3 will be shipped in 2 days as it looks now.
I'm curious how the planars do, one is very positive and the other negative.

I have been working with audio for many years and have completed my sereo set last year. Finally done with trying, buying and trading in everything. I think the nice thing about KZ is that you can have a lot of fun for relatively little money.

Nov 18, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #63,003 of 64,191
I remember the days when KZ got me started with the IEM world during COVID until I found my end game IEMs.
I would love to thank KZ for introducing me to this lovely side of this world. Now, it's not so boring after all.

Nov 18, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #63,004 of 64,191
All are too expensive. Any other recomendation?
So the KZ are not very good in terms of being neutral for monitoring? I'm not really looking for isolation.
Get CCA CA16, BEST VALUE for neutral monitoring, very cheap too

Nov 18, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #63,005 of 64,191
AS16 Pro with 30 ohm adaptor continues to impress. This sounds magnificent:

Nov 18, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #63,007 of 64,191
Got my package :D

Attachments

• PR2.jpeg
    PR2.jpeg
    247.7 KB · Views: 0
Nov 18, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #63,008 of 64,191
Nov 18, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #63,009 of 64,191
Following my success with the AS16 Pro and 30 ohm adaptor, what other popular IEMs would benefit from using the adaptor?

Nov 18, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #63,010 of 64,191
Feeling like taking a photo of ESX and AS16 Pro today, here's what i've come up with, hope you like it ^-^

god the ESX look so freakin beautiful, i hope they bring back this sort of design again, love the open spacious soundstage on this set and the general sound of it, listening to this on the bed with a rain or thunder ambiance is unbelievably good, it feels as if it transported you to a different world, i used to give ESX a silly name like "Teleportation Device" or something once xD
ESX.jpg
ESX II.jpg
ESX IV.jpeg
ESX III.jpeg
ESX V.jpeg

i only took 2 pics on AS16 Pro since i realized the glass on my smart lamp caused a minor scratch on the underside of it just a little, ugh which is unfortunate haha, love this one a lot, awesome design and detailed stunning sound :beyersmile:
AS16 Pro II.jpeg
AS16 Pro.jpg

Nov 18, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #63,012 of 64,191
Following my success with the AS16 Pro and 30 ohm adaptor, what other popular IEMs would benefit from using the adaptor?
from my understanding, it should affect any multidriver iem, dynamic drivers not so much

*I suppose it could also be used to trigger high impedance mode on certain phones and daps

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #63,013 of 64,191

Anything with low impedance that sounds "off" with more powerful sources. BA sets mainly but fun to try and see. Often noticeable shift in frequency response as well as power requirements. It's almost like having a new DAC to try out. Finding out how different things sound on it. :ksc75smile:

Nov 18, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #63,014 of 64,191
Anything with low impedance that sounds "off" with more powerful sources. BA sets mainly but fun to try and see. Often noticeable shift in frequency response as well as power requirements. It's almost like having a new DAC to try out. Finding out how different things sound on it. :ksc75smile:
Thank you. I will try it with my BA10, AS12 and AST.
from my understanding, it should affect any multidriver iem, dynamic drivers not so much

*I suppose it could also be used to trigger high impedance mode on certain phones and daps
Thanks!

Nov 18, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #63,015 of 64,191
Thank you. I will try it with my BA10, AS12 and AST.

Thanks!
AST will definitely be the one to shine, since this IEM was also likely designed with incorrect values of the source impedance dialed, similarly to AS16 pro.
Opposite to AS16 pro, AST will regain more of the treble for more balanced and potent sound to my ears, it will give you a good idea where AS24 are at.

On another note, I have received KZ USB DAC (AM01, top left in the image) and compared it to my other 20+ simple DACs (some fitting into the picture shown below; and talk about hoarding, pardon hobby) and Sonata HD pro as a neutral reference, as well as few IEMs with an integrated USB DAC.
20231116_152451.jpg

To cut the story short, KZ DAC looks uneventful: no company logo, quite rigid cable, but feels ready to last and withstand some heavy use, perhaps.
The power provided by the KZ DAC is good: ca. 25% of volume on my old S10 needed for my normal listening with a good sensitive IEM, like ZAT, used in these tests. This power output is similar to the "louder" other DACs, such as Moondrop Click.
Power consumption of KZ DAC is reasonably low: 2 mA in idle, 16 mA when powered. The latter value is similar to the Apple dongle but KZ DAC provides significantly higher output power: 55% vs 25% volume, correspondingly.

KZ DAC is definitely tuned off neutral (unlike most of simple DACs) being a touch warmer and softer: to pair well with IEMs rich in treble, of older KZ, I guess.

P.S. To give a more general perspective on the current values: some USB DACs, like Muse M3 can consume upto 200 mA (1 Watt(!!) - data processing is energy costly! Good powerful USB DACs, like BHD pro draw 60-70 mA. Most simple USB DACs are under 23-26 mA, whiich is not much of a factor for modern phones.

If power consumption is your most important factor - use Samsung OEM buds (UrbanX) or Moondrop Droplet for more aesthetics - they both draw only 5 mA. UrbanX is noticeably louder, so one will get most "bang" per power consumed - Samsung/AKG know their engineering!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back