Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 31, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #62,866 of 64,382
Using extensively home /outside / pockets / gym etc both AST and ZAR , some months now.. in and out ears, swapping cables etc..
Not a problem .

Mind that they are 'premium' KZ late models.., so they suffer less from QC then budget models and early models.

Mind that also kilobucks luxury IEMs suffer from QC and fail.

There's been report of 30$ iem/buds failing ? Sure..i checked sales , they were sold in thousands units too ( not exactly your 'normal' hundred+ sale, or limited edition 5k$ Oriolus Traillii )
Moondrop are quite notorious for its QC issue,
the last case i heard is aboutDark saber. Its a $800 iem, its 2 pin slot broke after less than a month and Moondrop ask for $300 to repair it.

Surely, supposedly, there is difference with Sub $30 KZ and a $800 Moondrop expectancy with QC.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #62,867 of 64,382
About KZ , I am thrilled to see and enjoy such sound at such pricings ( 120$ for 12BA? Or 50$ for 7BA+DD,.. - crazy prices or quite ) , they are not endgame iems but comparing to the early models I see that KZ got closer to the game ; problem will be they won't likely compete in that luxury iems market and prefer to stay into mass appeal , therefore research materials and investments will probably follow this path and not aim to excellence or pioneer designs and tunings , like other iems brands

Besides this I am enjoying largely two of their models ( as others are doing too ) , I definitely wouldn't be so hard on them but rather appreciate their existence in the IEM galaxy , sure a 5k$ IEM makes me rise my eyebrow more .

To be honest I would pay 200$ or more for an AST with same mids/voice rendering , airy soundstage and sweet manners through highs..but the added ZAR bass , I hope this to happen a day ; meanwhile i know they will keep aground servicing the mass market with absolute bargains that eventually improves slightly from previous models and keep the mass odiens following

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #62,868 of 64,382
I hope so to but I think I just wasted 32,- 😂. Anyway thanks 😊

*based on your input I cancelled them and AliExpress accepted. I dodged (a small) bullit there*
I don't know but for my $32 I can always gift them away to a friend if I can't cable, tip roll and put the right amp section to them. One can over come stated deficiencies (wonky Mids) with some tweaking which is why I think KZ iem's are fun to play with for the price to performance ratio :wink: Their was so much negative vibes on the BA10 when released especially the fit but they ended up being the best all BA iem I own and I have quite a few. To me KZ is into output a lot of times and if they really drilled into all the best support items like cable and tips more would be awesome hits from the get go but once again that ijmo:rolling_eyes: And we all know what has been said about that:grin: Back in the day you could buy either of these rigs for under $40 and $30 respectively and have a killer 8GB setup once again imo! Of course both these KZ's benefitted from Benjie's incredible and cheap DAP (S5):v: I can't tell you how many of these setups I gave friends for Christmas and Birthdays and most are still gettin' it:beerchug:

Budget Duo.JPG

Oct 31, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #62,869 of 64,382
AS16 Pro arrived today. Ordered on 26th October from Ali Express for £26. Very impressed so far, the immediacy and transient attack is great. Using Hidizs AP80 Pro X with KBEAR Limpid Pro pure silver cable, stock medium Starlines. This track sounds amazing. Check out that guitar:

Oct 31, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #62,870 of 64,382
AS16 Pro arrived today. Ordered on 26th October from Ali Express for £26. Very impressed so far, the immediacy and transient attack is great. Using Hidizs AP80 Pro X with KBEAR Limpid Pro pure silver cable, stock medium Starlines. This track sounds amazing. Check out that guitar:

Nice which means mine are close, saw they cleared customs already :grin: I'm sure the Limpid is helping and of course the Hidi has an awesomely clean amp section so are you hearing issues in the mids? I can't tell from listening here because I'm on this!

IMG_5928.jpeg

:rolling_eyes:

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #62,871 of 64,382

Ordered mine on the 16th, still not here. :frowning2:

Oct 31, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #62,872 of 64,382
I don't know but for my $32 I can always gift them away to a friend if I can't cable, tip roll and put the right amp section to them. One can over come stated deficiencies (wonky Mids) with some tweaking which is why I think KZ iem's are fun to play with for the price to performance ratio :wink: Their was so much negative vibes on the BA10 when released especially the fit but they ended up being the best all BA iem I own and I have quite a few. To me KZ is into output a lot of times and if they really drilled into all the best support items like cable and tips more would be awesome hits from the get go but once again that ijmo:rolling_eyes: And we all know what has been said about that:grin: Back in the day you could buy either of these rigs for under $40 and $30 respectively and have a killer 8GB setup once again imo! Of course both these KZ's benefitted from Benjie's incredible and cheap DAP (S5):v: I can't tell you how many of these setups I gave friends for Christmas and Birthdays and most are still gettin' it:beerchug:

What are these benji's ref ?

Oct 31, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #62,873 of 64,382
Nice which means mine are close, saw they cleared customs already :grin: I'm sure the Limpid is helping and of course the Hidi has an awesomely clean amp section so are you hearing issues in the mids? I can't tell from listening here because I'm on this!

IMG_5928.jpeg

:rolling_eyes:
Well, if you think forward, resolving mids with excellent timbre is an issue, then yes! I think the BA10 finally has a competitor for best all BA in my collection.

Oct 31, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #62,874 of 64,382
How can I modify my PR2 to sound like the original intended version? I saw some posts here on filter mods and such but they were confusing for me, I have never done a physical mod like that before. But I would rather do this than EQ. Can someone kindly point me to what filters or foams to install?

Oct 31, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #62,875 of 64,382
What are these benji's ref ?
What you see here are the old Benjie S5 MP3 DAPs, these back then along with the T6 were excellent DAPs for the money. Different sellers called them different names for the same unit. Here is the Benjie K1 or as mine is marked T6 which must have had the same amp section as the S5's.

Benjie K1T6.JPG

I feel the newer and improved Benjie's are the M3 & X5 and both can be searched on AliEx. Here is a shot of the S5 along side the new X6 (Also known on AliEx as X1 or X5).

Benjies S5-X6.JPG

Matter a fact if your eyes are good the new X models are very good with video :grin:

As-DM-Gard.JPG

Nov 2, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #62,877 of 64,382
How can I modify my PR2 to sound like the original intended version? I saw some posts here on filter mods and such but they were confusing for me, I have never done a physical mod like that before. But I would rather do this than EQ. Can someone kindly point me to what filters or foams to install?

It's just my opinion, there's no such thing as intended edition. Some folks acted like the change of filter made a 'night and day' difference. It was quite amazing seeing bunch people acted KZ've done Collab influencer dirty without actually AB-ing two alleged sets themselves.

The reality is, if it's not your tuning, it's probably not for you. I couldn't bear listening PR2 for more than 5 minutes, pure shouty mids. They shared same characteristics of OG PR1 but less bass, that's about it. You can simply add a couple layers of white film filters on the nozzel. I don't question a warm source can possibly do the trick for you, but it wasn't for me.

Nov 2, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #62,878 of 64,382
Moondrop are quite notorious for its QC issue,
the last case i heard is aboutDark saber. Its a $800 iem, its 2 pin slot broke after less than a month and Moondrop ask for $300 to repair it.

Surely, supposedly, there is difference with Sub $30 KZ and a $800 Moondrop expectancy with QC.

Any 2pin can break when they're made of plastic... I've seen plenty of expensive IEMs with cracked 2pin base. So far I had no problem with any KZs or Moondrop. Also people do use their IEMs with different level of care YMNK. I do agree they didn't offer a good will for the case you mentioned. I figured they'd offer 'Shipping only' repair for a purchase under a month. Couldn't the electronic receipt acted as some sort of warranty?

Nov 3, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #62,880 of 64,382
I've a budget of 80 euro and haven't bought an iem since my zs10 pro X last Christmas and 11/11 is just around the corner. What, in your opinion, is the quintessential must have iem of 2023?

If you like a bright technical signature, the Simgot EA500 is something to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back