Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 28, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #62,717 of 63,882
Has anyone compared Castor Bass with MS1 Galaxy?
I got MS1 and Castor Harman. Don't know if it's worth getting Castor Bass as well, got too many IEMs. But if it's very different or much better than MS1 I'll probably pull the trigger.

Sep 28, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #62,719 of 63,882
Actually the castor bass switch (1 and 2) is about sub bass , the mid bass will stay the same.
If you turn off the bass setting 00XX they will be v shaped with mid bass focus instead of sub bass focus.
0000 setting : mid bass focus only, the most bass bleeding setting
1000 setting : increased sub bass level 1, mid bass is bigger
1100 setting : increased sub bass lv 2, become sub bass and mid bass boost (amount of the mid bass still the same like default that already big)
1110 setting : because of mid and trebles are increased, its perceived as if the bass quantity is lower, therefore they are more balanced.
1111 setting : more mids and trebles, which perceived as lower mid bass and decent sub bass, but high mids are too shouty, so I mod them with filter but using 1111 setting.

see my post few pages back with measurement to understand about switches.

so even if we turn off the bass switch (00XX), the mid bass will be always overwhelming. The way to "reduce" mid bass in with sub bass up, mids up, trebles up (1111) and the mid bass will stay on same level of db, so they will perceived as "reduced" mid bass and shifting the bass shelf

*edit : adding explanation about settings

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #62,720 of 63,882
Hi everyone, I have a pair of PR1 Balanced (the black ones) that I liked very much but the right side died. I'm looking to get a new pair of IEM; which of the following options would you recommend me to go with?
1) ZS10 Pro X
2) PR 2 x HBB
3) get another set of PR1 Balanced
4) recommend me!

Thanks!

To me, the PR2 x HBB sounds more refined and neutral than the ZS10 Pro X. The ZS10 Pro X is a bit more fun and v-shaped vs the PR2. ZS10 Pro X is more sensitive so it will be less affected by source than something like PR2, which benefits from more amplification/power. The ZS10 Pro X isn't quite basshead level though. It also has some good technicalities like image separation and layering but I think the timbre and resolution is slighly weaker compared to the PR2.

If memory serves, they seem to be around the same price bracket, $30 to $40-ish. I think the better bargain is the PR2 x HBB between the two of them.

If you want something with more bass, less neutral, it is said that there's a lot of competitors in that price range. QKZ x HBB. Blon x HBB. Kiwi Ears Cadenza. I haven't heard any of them.

I can't comment on the PR1 Balanced as I've never heard them either.

I keep saying that the PR2 x HBB is kind of a poor man's answer to the Letshouer S12. S12 does have a bit more bass but overall, they sound similar to my ears.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #62,721 of 63,882
Something for your hungry planars:

RDT_20230908_2100315313787805520720369.png

Link: https://www.amazon.com/promocode/AALR1RJ12M2C1

So, I've had the DS2 for a bit now, and quite pleased with it.

https://www.fosiaudio.com/product/dac/headphone-amplifier/ds2

It's well constructed, with a understated design in the charcoal grey model.

It's got a high and low gain switch, which I found useful, and the PR2 sounds noticeably more authoritative with high engaged.

The DS2 drives my PR2 impressively, and cleanly, even from its SE output which is rated at a potent 120mw@32Ω.

I've a balanced cable on the way, and then will be able to take advantage of the full 250mw@32Ω on tap.

Sep 29, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #62,722 of 63,882
So I've received the KZ Castor. I ordered the Bass Castor but they've sent me the Mid orientated Castor. No complaints though because the Mids are excellent. I've got some serious Bass earphones anyway, so they've done me a favour.
I immediately put on the nice 3.5mm KZ copper upgrade cable, that I use on the AS 16 pro's and a pair of L Azla Crystals, through the Shanling M3X. This is unquestionably the best DD KZ I've heard. I've got both Bass set to on and the last Mid switch to on. Tone and timbre are very good to my old ears. It's hard to believe these are $15. Bass is taking second place to the Mids, but they do the Mids well enough that the whole sound is punching above it weight. I'm assuming the DDs will burn-in over time, but they sound good out of the box. Mid orientated vocals like Kate Bush, Bruce Springsteen, Dire Straits all sound very good. 2 Pac Ambitionz Az A Ridah, lacks some bass impact, but instrumentals are really good.
Well done KZ(ee)

Sep 29, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #62,723 of 63,882
Hi everyone, I have a pair of PR1 Balanced (the black ones) that I liked very much but the right side died. I'm looking to get a new pair of IEM; which of the following options would you recommend me to go with?
1) ZS10 Pro X
2) PR 2 x HBB
3) get another set of PR1 Balanced
4) recommend me!

Thanks!
ZS10 Pro X and AS16 Pro are both a little more laid back than a planar and easier to drive. Good choices for more extended use. Most of the shipped PR2 were the V2 with different filters (and sound) from the the V1 that was well received by reviewers. There is some question as to whether more recently shipped PR2 have yet another revision of the tuning. PR1 Pro was the best version from KZ, but it is significantly more expensive than the PR2.

PR2 is okay, but the bait and switch between review and production units was dishonest and downgraded the product.

:L3000:

Sep 30, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #62,724 of 63,882
So I've received the KZ Castor. I ordered the Bass Castor but they've sent me the Mid orientated Castor. No complaints though because the Mids are excellent. I've got some serious Bass earphones anyway, so they've done me a favour.
I immediately put on the nice 3.5mm KZ copper upgrade cable, that I use on the AS 16 pro's and a pair of L Azla Crystals, through the Shanling M3X. This is unquestionably the best DD KZ I've heard. I've got both Bass set to on and the last Mid switch to on. Tone and timbre are very good to my old ears. It's hard to believe these are $15. Bass is taking second place to the Mids, but they do the Mids well enough that the whole sound is punching above it weight. I'm assuming the DDs will burn-in over time, but they sound good out of the box. Mid orientated vocals like Kate Bush, Bruce Springsteen, Dire Straits all sound very good. 2 Pac Ambitionz Az A Ridah, lacks some bass impact, but instrumentals are really good.
Well done KZ(ee)
Yes, the Castor is an amazing bargain. I have tried various switch combinations and was happy with 0000 to begin with.I then tried 1100 which was great for bass but the staging was not so good. 1111 was a little too much although very entertaining but then I tried 1101 and the results with my Hidizs AP80 Pro X and Faaeal Hibiscus cable were fantastic. The stage opened up and separation was superb. The treble became very extended and detailed. It worth a try although it will depend on source and cable used.

Sep 30, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #62,725 of 63,882
Yes, the Castor is an amazing bargain. I have tried various switch combinations and was happy with 0000 to begin with.I then tried 1100 which was great for bass but the staging was not so good. 1111 was a little too much although very entertaining but then I tried 1101 and the results with my Hidizs AP80 Pro X and Faaeal Hibiscus cable were fantastic. The stage opened up and separation was superb. The treble became very extended and detailed. It worth a try although it will depend on source and cable used.

I'm using 1101 too. Using them 4.4mm with a little oomph improves them more. Amazing £12's worth.

Sep 30, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #62,726 of 63,882
I'm using 1101 too. Using them 4.4mm with a little oomph improves them more. Amazing £12's worth.

1101 = 1111 = 0101 = 0111
No differences

If the 2nd switch is on (sub bass switch or mids-trebles switch), the 1st switch is overrode.

I agree, $13 never been worth better than this

Oct 1, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #62,727 of 63,882
To me, the PR2 x HBB sounds more refined and neutral than the ZS10 Pro X. The ZS10 Pro X is a bit more fun and v-shaped vs the PR2. ZS10 Pro X is more sensitive so it will be less affected by source than something like PR2, which benefits from more amplification/power. The ZS10 Pro X isn't quite basshead level though. It also has some good technicalities like image separation and layering but I think the timbre and resolution is slighly weaker compared to the PR2.

If memory serves, they seem to be around the same price bracket, $30 to $40-ish. I think the better bargain is the PR2 x HBB between the two of them.

If you want something with more bass, less neutral, it is said that there's a lot of competitors in that price range. QKZ x HBB. Blon x HBB. Kiwi Ears Cadenza. I haven't heard any of them.

I can't comment on the PR1 Balanced as I've never heard them either.

I keep saying that the PR2 x HBB is kind of a poor man's answer to the Letshouer S12. S12 does have a bit more bass but overall, they sound similar to my ears.
What is the level of separation and layering on PR2, compared to ZS10 pro x?

Oct 1, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #62,728 of 63,882
What is the level of separation and layering on PR2, compared to ZS10 pro x?
in PR2 and Castor-H, PR2 might have edge on resolution
but bass to mid separation is still better on Castor-H which is understandable since it was 1 Planar vs 2 DD.

I don't have ZS10ProX, but If i remember it right,
ZS10ProX is a unique case of older tuning method that aimed to give good coherence with 1 Main DD + 4 Support BA setup.
It will still give great layering, however separation might be not as great as 5 driver with proper crossover.
but against a single planar...
---
additional details on KZ ZAT
The iems,

1696220519271.jpeg

Official graph

1696220633919.jpeg

new DD

1696220578904.jpeg

Balanced Armature sets,

1696220614773.jpeg

3D printed resin shell

1696220653838.jpeg

EQ Switch setup

1696220788401.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #62,729 of 63,882
in PR2 and Castor-H, PR2 might have edge on resolution
but bass to mid separation is still better on Castor-H which is understandable since it was 1 Planar vs 2 DD.

I don't have ZS10ProX, but If i remember it right,
ZS10ProX is a unique case of older tuning method that aimed to give good coherence with 1 Main DD + 4 Support BA setup.
It will still give great layering, however separation might be not as great as 5 driver with proper crossover.
but against a single planar...
---
additional details on KZ ZAT
The iems,

1696220519271.jpeg

Official graph

1696220633919.jpeg

new DD

1696220578904.jpeg

Balanced Armature sets,

1696220614773.jpeg

3D printed resin shell

1696220653838.jpeg

EQ Switch setup

1696220788401.jpeg
Oh the new tube system in new on KZ, and the new BA design looks good, still wish they have more extension past 8khz, maybe next 1+8 driver with better extension

Oct 2, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #62,730 of 63,882
Oh the new tube system in new on KZ, and the new BA design looks good, still wish they have more extension past 8khz, maybe next 1+8 driver with better extension
I suppose KZ ZAT could have the two edition like castor
the "fun" tuned and the "analytical" tuned.

I was a bit worried with the tuning when i see Paul's graph
but if the actual product is closer to the official graph than pauls (or with mild setup changes, it reach that) it would be pretty decent offering.

possibly the 8k+ tuning is to avoid that metallic/sibilant sounds.
It was noted by Hifri that Bellsing Mid BAs is getting a lot better and pretty close with Knowles with proper setup.
but Treble or high freq, there is still gap between Bellsings with Knowles (and obviously Sonion).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back