Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 26, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #62,687 of 64,160
Around 2 weeks ago, Dan's Audio Reviews also got himself a pr2 and his impressions were similar to yours. At first i didn't take it too seriously but after he posted the measurements of his pr2, i thought maybe they indeed retuned it again. The pr2 v3? one is Dan's measurements.

There are clearly two dips at 7k and 13k on Dan's unit that are not present on the v2. Looks like they tried to tune it closer to the mesh verison. This is what they should've done with v2 actually, insted of removing the mesh and leaving customers with intense treble.
I listened to some of his sound bites recording, but I also didn't take that seriously because what I heard was rumbling sub-bass. Looking at the graph, V1 is still the best one.

I changed the external grill/filter, looks like KZ is trying to eliminate all the treble, the default one is very thicc. I couldn't stand the excessive sub-bass and laid-back sound so I had to replace it with 3rd metal mesh... The tonality is better but not as lean as the Castor Standard.

Attachments

• IMG_20230925_164249.jpg
    IMG_20230925_164249.jpg
    693.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230926_190313.jpg
    IMG_20230926_190313.jpg
    680 KB · Views: 0
Sep 26, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #62,690 of 64,160
KZ ZAT (1DD+8BA) early impression from ChrisLove in FB.
while ChrisLove have tendency to be a bit soft on his review, this should be decent for getting feel for the tuning direction.

I came home today to this latest KZ Earphones sitting at my door. To be honest I had no clue this set even existed. That set is the KZ ZAT. Friends, I had no idea that the "ZA" series was adding another set? Honestly.... Sweet! I think they look tough with the metal diamond plate pattern, dark blue on silver, it's a cool look. These are basically the identical size as the KZ AS24 with the same exact shell shape. Once again KZ added tuning switches as there is a total of "4" which is a much needed reduction from the "8" installed into the AS24.

🎧
Quick 1st Impressions
🎧

I won't go into alot of detail because I am going to review this set and also... I've spent a total of about 45 minutes with them so... Everything is subject to change and even these thoughts are mildly irresponsible. Anywhoo... Right out the gate I can tell that this is a nicely open and airy sound with a penchant for detail retrieval and a tidy and tight slam which will give you some moderate to nice slam based on your switch settings. The midrange is not overtly recessed and has nice presence in the mix. The treble sounds forgiving but not lacking with a tad bit of bite and enough lift to balance out the frequency. I hear a very slight V-shape to a U-shaped sound which you'll find out when you play with the switches. The tonal coloration is warmish/neutral and note weight is on the lean-lush side of the aisle. Not overly heavy, warm or thicky-thick but also not at all super lean or dry. The stage is a nice size thus far and I don't want to say anymore for fear I'll regret it. They sound nice folks.

KZ has really dialed in the tuning of their earphones. They just have friends. Is it perfect? Of course not. Nothing is perfect for anyone. So, in my review I promise to explain my thoughts as well as possible. I hope you all are doing great and hope your week is a nice and rewarding one. Take care folks.
Thank you to Tyvan Lam & KZ Official Store
Also, no the cable pictured is not the included cable. I am using an 8-core Fedai balanced cable for balanced sources. Once again KZ offers the same white opaque KZ cable. Oh well.

1695780635275.jpeg
1695780650089.jpeg

1695780661334.jpeg

---
in another news, i rebought a BTR5. Its the 2021 edition this time.
and i realize that my Castor-Harman have better synergy with my Dragonfly Red than my BTR5 (3.5mm)
vocals a bit warmer and touch more volume in DFR vs the cleaner and colder BTR5.
Bass is slammier in DFR vs the cleaner but abit quiter in BTR5

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #62,691 of 64,160
KZ ZAT (1DD+8BA) early impression from ChrisLove in FB.
while ChrisLove have tendency to be a bit soft on his review, this should be decent for getting feel for the tuning direction.

---
in another news, i rebought a BTR5. Its the 2021 edition this time.
and i realize that my Castor-Harman have better synergy with my Dragonfly Red than my BTR5 (3.5mm)
vocals a bit warmer and touch more volume in DFR vs the cleaner and colder BTR5.
Bass is slammier in DFR vs the cleaner but abit quiter in BTR5

what cable do you use? if you have the Faeall Hibiscus cable, give it a shot, it is a full copper that lush and have weight while giving extra space on other end. Not a fancy and expensive cable but IMHO the one of the best budget cable I ever had. I even bought the spare for it and nice pairing with Castor

20230927_102735.jpg

Sep 27, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #62,692 of 64,160
what cable do you use? if you have the Faeall Hibiscus cable, give it a shot, it is a full copper that lush and have weight while giving extra space on other end. Not a fancy and expensive cable but IMHO the one of the best budget cable I ever had. I even bought the spare for it and nice pairing with Castor

i need to re-buy faeeal hibiscus,
my Faeeal Hibiscus 2.5mm jack broke when it was pressed against my car door in unfortunate moment.
i'll update once i bought it.

currently using budget KBEAR 16core copper 2.5mm cable.
while this might be placebo, but i think hibiscus sound fuller.

1695788321568.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #62,696 of 64,160
Are KZ trying to improve their Duo? This one has a bit more bass with less shouty tonality and a calmer treble. The other switch combination seems too weird. They should not provide the tunable option and focus more on tuning tbh.

i imagine they use similar BAs too. new gen bellsings but with different crossover boards and moar drivers

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #62,697 of 64,160
My pair od Castor (Harman) arrived today.. and I'm very impressed.

Today also Tony (Akros) published his very interesting (as usual) review

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #62,699 of 64,160
the current phase of KZ being the more neutral one, is somewhat weird and interesting

1695800972925.png

trying to find similar FR as i think i have seen something similar,

1695801060126.png

but yeah, 1DD vs 1DD+8BA would sound very different.
graph.png
I don't like this way of mid/highs presentation. It's not engaging, and artificial. Edxs was disappointment for me.

Sep 27, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #62,700 of 64,160

I don't like this way of mid/highs presentation. It's not engaging, and artificial. Edxs was disappointment for me.
i forgot the timeline and which one comes first,
but is EDXS is a failed attempt on doing Linlong but in IEMs form?

1695801800571.png

that spike difference,
the linglong is pretty highly praised, EDXS.. don't hear much from it.

---

1695802072175.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back