Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 3, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #62,506 of 64,160
Anyone have ZAR here ? Any advice on how to improve them / soundstage and/or highs ?

I am quite liking them lately and preferring for many genres to the ZAS , just need to know what cable/source/tips if anyone knows them and how to slightly upgrade stage and highs profile

They have the absolutely best organic & warm sound of all KZ tried up to now , general refinement is nicer on this pair, need to improve slightly those areas..i am eqing them -not slightly, hopefully a full burn in brings something missing to the table too

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #62,507 of 64,160
Listening to hires "Damnation' ( Opeth / acoustic/folk album ) with ZAR through v60 , is quite the thing , bass is nearing perfection here...there -s dryness in sub bass , 'advanced' separation , warmness in midbass , texture, a guttural shape on the deep frequencies , and its speed is spot..

I have many heapdhones and some daps >in the 1 2 3k range too.

Pleased from KZ at sub 100$ for portable use. No fool hype and no joke with the ZAR at this price if speaking bass rendering and organic tone, Olina SE which have a little better wholefrq resolution might be a touch more tactile in bass but they loose significantly on deepness texture slam and speed

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #62,508 of 64,160
CCA Pianist early impression by Chris Love,
He is usually the earliest one to give early impression but relatively going a bit "soft", so grain of salt and all
but regardless the softness, it still can give decent info on vocal positioning and some technical aspect

This is going to be a quick rundown of what I hear between the 20's and even before burn-in so things could change.

I'll be honest I don't hear any BA timbre here. I hear a mostly organic sound with a very good balance across the spectrum.

The sound is very clean with very nice resolution. The Pianist is slightly brightish, yet comes across pretty natural in tonality and timbre and has nice musicality... with tiny caveats. There's nothing too shouty to me yet (so far) though the sound is on the brighter side of the scale just past the midrange.

The sound is also pretty cohesive between the DD and the BAs as the low end is not the most robust and sonorous. There is a healthy dose of low end but it is most certainly not a focal point. Remember this set is called the "Pianist". I would never think a set with this name is tuned to bust ear drums with bangin BASS. The bass isn't left out either, it can slap but it's just toned down.

I would say the Pianist is a mid-centric set... to a degree, with very nice vocals. Both male and female sound crisp and pronounced. They are forward but not so much that things sound unnatural. The treble is snappy, has some bite too. The treble uplifts the entire mix as well.

Now, we have to remember that this is a $29 set so... Render your expectations. Technically the Pianist stands out as having very nice detail retrieval yet is isn't a flat sounding and dry/analytical sound. The stage won't blow your mind but it's appropriately and proportionally sized. Not bad at all. I'm curious to hear how this set does against the Krila, D-Fi and some other sets outside of KZ. I suppose we shall see.

Sep 3, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #62,509 of 64,160
Not PR2 by any means!
That was my big disappointment with KZ bundling PR2 with AS24, with little flexibility to unbundle this totally "no-go" for me, even as a "free gift".
I did eventually get AS24 and do have PR1. Planars and all-BAs are really very different, and not straightforward to compare.

Speaking of AS24

Based on AS24, KZ now mastered the impedance really well.
Variations by switches are from 20 to 50 Ohms (great range and values!), and I was really impresed by precise channel matching to 0.1 Ohm (!) in all switch positions that I measured.

The difference in measured frequency responses is definitely due to tips, insertion depth and seal. The latter is likely the main culprit for the discussed case, IMO.

Finally, few words about AS24, that I am just starting to explore.
It suits my preferences amazingly well: in extreme switch positions - it is a bit too lean and too bassy, respectively - so it covers my preferences. Then together with Kuang Pai Plus 4 with 11/12 rendering flavours - there are quite a bit of combinations to enjoy/explore.

I do not believe in totls and endgame, but that will occupy me for a while, and I may even stop there :)

Yep I agree on your take on PR2. That's a no go. They were very shouty to me, not just treble, but also the mids, simply unbearable YMMV. Surprised by the outcome as I thought they were the same drivers as PR1. I also had PR1 (silver). Despite weird instrument timbre, they were a lot more tolerable, significantly more bass as well.

I'm waiting KZ to make another ZS7, BA10 unique shaped all metal buds. Not sure I'd touch another KZ this year after PR2 disappointment.

Sep 3, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #62,510 of 64,160
Yep I agree on your take on PR2. That's a no go. They were very shouty to me, not just treble, but also the mids, simply unbearable YMMV. Surprised by the outcome as I thought they were the same drivers as PR1. I also had PR1 (silver). Despite weird instrument timbre, they were a lot more tolerable, significantly more bass as well.

I'm waiting KZ to make another ZS7, BA10 unique shaped all metal buds. Not sure I'd touch another KZ this year after PR2 disappointment.
My PR2 (V2) is very nice.
Still my daily driver with Dunu S&S eartips and for $34 that i paid for it, its great.
One distinct difference between PR1 Pro and PR2 are PR2 is definitely harder to drive, but it also came with a bit more forward vocals with a touch more body which is something that i seek. I was hoping for smoother treble compared to PR1Pro, but i dont think i hear significant difference in treble in my unit

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #62,511 of 64,160
My PR2 (V2) is very nice.
Still my daily driver with Dunu S&S eartips and for $34 that i paid for it, its great.
One distinct difference between PR1 Pro and PR2 are PR2 is definitely harder to drive, but it also came with a bit more forward vocals with a touch more body which is something that i seek. I was hoping for smoother treble compared to PR1Pro, but i dont think i hear significant difference in treble in my unit

I sold my PR2 within a week. I was expecting a upgrade for my PR1 (non pro, balanced edition) but they weren’t. IMHO the PR1 is much better, maybe that’s why they are still selling them.
BTW the Krila sounded like crap and still I could not resist ordering the Castor bass edition. I also bought the Moondrop Chu 2 and they sound awesome so it is possible to make a good IEM for 20,- bucks.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #62,512 of 64,160

+1 for new ZS7 and BA10. Original shells. With Xun DD and new generation BAs, of course!

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #62,513 of 64,160
+1 for new ZS7 and BA10. Original shells. With Xun DD and new generation BAs, of course!
The last proper ZS series is the ZS10Pro-X who are still following the old 1 Main DD + 4 Flavouring BAs.
It was very well recieved but the world didn't go as crazy for it like the old ZS10Pro did.

IF the next ZS series have 1DD+4BA, latest XunDD, new gen bellsings BAs, DLP sound tube shells, proper crossover for seperation of duty on each drivers, maybe semi openback like ZS7 but that may clash with the soundtube...
should be pretty awesome.

CCA Pianist feels like a more budget approach on concept above.
KZ is retreating to budget segment for safety after the last drama.

hopefully, the next one will be another proper ZS-series successor.

Sep 4, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #62,514 of 64,160
Went ahead and joined the Castor bass edition train. Really curious to see what the unit variance is like since the switches seem to be very fine in tuning.

Currently using Truthear Hola as a burner iem, with whizzer ss20 eartips. In my experience these are neutral eartips with shallow fit that retain subbass well but reduce midbass - might be good with 2 switch or 4 switch ON mode

Last KZ iem I tried was ZSN Pro X. Was OK. Expectations are tempered.

Sep 4, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #62,516 of 64,160
no review of Castor until now
I know some have their hands on Pianist but refrain from giving review before testing for a week or so.
one early impression would from Chrislove above

but no info on Castor till today (05-09-23)
i know several people in headfi buying it, no news yet. possibly still in delivery or something

Sep 5, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #62,517 of 64,160
Anyone have ZAR here ? Any advice on how to improve them / soundstage and/or highs ?

I am quite liking them lately and preferring for many genres to the ZAS , just need to know what cable/source/tips if anyone knows them and how to slightly upgrade stage and highs profile

They have the absolutely best organic & warm sound of all KZ tried up to now , general refinement is nicer on this pair, need to improve slightly those areas..i am eqing them -not slightly, hopefully a full burn in brings something missing to the table too
I've put my hands on foam tips and it seems that experimenting tips holds surprises -honestly I would pay someone else to do it in my place and just return the best results.. given the number of options ..🥴

I've decided to return the ZAS , I find them balanced and well behaving across a number of sound factors ( bass!, separation, image) but just a bit short of personality.

So ZAR with their warm dark analogue character and 10 pro X with their subbass fun monster pounding ( and price ) are in the house now.

Ast24 coming later today for comparison 👌

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #62,518 of 64,160
I now have sold both ZS10 Pro and ZS10 Pro X after I got the ZAX. Then I wanted to see how low I could go in price in the KZ range and still be exited with the sound but neither the EDXS nor the Krila are no where near the ZAX in details and soundstage. The EDXS was the biggest disappointment. I know it is tuned to be neutral and it is but still without any sparkle or details like an Etymotic ER4 with a tuning that is supposed to be in the same ballpark.

The Krila is not that bad but sounds best with the setting on lowest bass (all switches off) to my ears. When turning on the bass, Krila sounds too soft and not tight and punchy as the ZAX in the bass region.

Sep 6, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #62,520 of 64,160
I've put my hands on foam tips and it seems that experimenting tips holds surprises -honestly I would pay someone else to do it in my place and just return the best results.. given the number of options ..🥴

I've decided to return the ZAS , I find them balanced and well behaving across a number of sound factors ( bass!, separation, image) but just a bit short of personality.

So ZAR with their warm dark analogue character and 10 pro X with their subbass fun monster pounding ( and price ) are in the house now.

AST coming later today for comparison

----- The AST ------------------------------------------------

PROs

- overall the most technically competent of all KZ I tried
- timbral accuracy is much better then rest of KZ across all spectrum of frqs and for a large part of instruments ( from guitars to piano to strings to drums to flutes and violins and voices : the sound is more sweetly fletched and parented with original instruments );
- the mids are the less recessed and more nuanced of any other KZ I tried;
- voices ( both females and males ) sound textured detailed and natural, I have to say I really loved voice natural and detailed airy portraits here..
- the micro details are done better( i.e. subtle voice details or drums decay or portraying different simultaneous tones while preserving them );
- the highs are the less harsh of all KZ ( so you can 'pump them' on eq and not find distortions easily like in the other KZ)no hints of sibilance , metallic edge or haze: zero . If anything highs are natural and slightly sweet sounding ( opposed to edgy )
- mids are very smooth ( more then any other KZ ..again....) , also very nicely rich : nuanced detailed and i would add even 'fresh'
- space effects ( L/R , image ) are nicely precise and done with very smooth organic micro transitioning , not overdone or bold ( think 10PRO X😝)
- the tones are more solid then any other KZ I tried
- there's more 'going on' in same music compared to all others KZ I tried ( details , and display of music is better)

CONs

- the bass is there..as it should obviously , there' s nice separation texture and decent speed . But is not authoritative and physical ( ZAR ): even when music'd want and call it to be . So impact may be missing and soft depending on your gears and taste , not awe-fun ( as 10 Pro x, or think Sony-Z1R if you dare ) . Also I wouldn't call speed or prat exciting , so not a typical fun/bass kz iem . A flat textured separated bass with hint of sub base : good enough for some , not enough for others .
- the overall tone is warmish/sweet , with a choice for more decay on notes , giving this set a better insight on details and a subtly romantic drive , but rithmically not enormously fun..
-they have less of a 'special character' ( colour?v shape?u shape? you call your favour ) like other KZ sets , so they can sound equally very good but a tad uninspired depending on your mileage ..for same reasons the "cons" could also read as "pros" depending on what use or joy in the music you have

I'd give them 4 stars
factoring in the price it could be easy a 5 for manys: sure they are technically and timbrally proficient and it is fast thing to tell when on ears

----- The ZAR --------------------------------------------------

CONs (vs AST)

-they loose on them in soundstage (widely ) , in detail / timbral accuracy and highs - which are more supressed , less smooth and more metallic albeit not as much as in the other KZ' iem or more distorted when with eq' ; and surprisingly -had to double check number of times..- they sound somewhat thinner then the AST24 , I wouldn't tell it in first tests but AST are richer and more upfront in mids and this fills it up slightly better imo then ZAR organic warm character

PROs (vs AST)

- the bass is a brick, often solid as dark matter , authoritative , hits supported by a deep-but-tight sub bass dry enough ( no 10Pro X here ) , and can be felt instead of heard wich - even though it preserves some of its nuances to come atop the feeling - I much prefer

-the tone is warm/dark 'down to earth' with a more organic drive on bass/mids ( it is more stagey , airy, sweet and marginally more suspended on AST )
-the speed is definitely better and more fun , you loose a tad of tact in articulation( not much / depending on tunes ) but you gain on prat and impact here.
-the background is blacker : the AST play in the upper atmosphere , rade enough no blacks behind though ; the ZAR play nearer to the black space ( just a hint of air when you eq' highs , and dead black behind )
-overall signature is funnier but more relaxing , it is still interesting to hear the music but you feel flow and fun more then on AST where you tend to look on what's happening in stage a bit more ..obviously mileages may vary here so take these words and considerations as personal

I wouldn't ever say the ZAR are superior to the AST , they are not : and it is evident . But.. some *important* sound things are more in line with my favor on them , and eventually I prefer them over AST...and that brick-bass landing down like a no-sweetener black coffee monolith from the sky (when record allows for it of course ).

I'd give them 4 stars
as they need improving in 2 areas on all : stage and highs show; as well I have to already tell my favour as their overall sound profile and flavour is something special and more solidly akin to my taste

True that if they had better stage and highs i'd be willing to pay them more then AST. And if they had better stage/highs and AST timber , i'd pay them much more..but i assume that at that point some dark brick magic wet of them would be lost or sacrified , they are refined but you have to like a darkish presentation here (> coloured ) , AST warm/sweetish tones are also there but not as evident

----- THE ZS10 PRO X -------------------------------------------

The best fun if valuing bang for bux : ZS10 PRO x
It's behind both by a fair margin on technicals , and doesn't even approach by far being hiend or audiophile thing, but..it would be my choice if I had to select only 1 and on budget and looking for fun on the go, they sound abit hipy not particularly linear, nor silent black behind , but that sub presence and mellow mids are entertainingly fun, with decent enough highs : overall more then decent for providing nice company and portable fun .. super for the price they sell though

My 2c..hope that helps 👌
I will be living with ZAR and AST swapping them as my 2 portables of choice for some time, then ..I will update
👌

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back