Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 21, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #62,416 of 63,916
Krilla is cool and all but c'mon...

Krilla is as good as D-Fi imo and it can compete with $50 IEMs and that's all. Comparing it with a $1000 old western-fi? Lmao

KZ PR is not helping.
Comparing with $1000 IEMs is definitely an implied exaggeration, and I agree with you that Krila rather compete well under $50, or even $30, but then it does very-very well there - the resolution and cheerful engaging V plus the switches is something!
Then, the DD of Krila is nice, and it is really very nicely upgraded ZSN (and ZSN pro and CCA CA4).
I got (somehow, do not ask) TRN BA15, which I started to appreciate as "super ZSN" with two old 30095 in the nozzle :)
Krila definitely competes with BA15.

I sincerely do not understand what can be wrong offering Krila - for $1 (or free) for a good review. Many can appreciate it, for whom $16-20 is some money and for good creative writing exercise.

I offer my short Krila review purely for KZ appreciation :):

Krila are stunningly great, engaging, musical. Their dynamic driver is fast, punchy and tactfully not overwhelming. The third generation of 30095 is still fun, but notably gentler comparing to good old ZS10 pro (the pinnacle of the engaging "V").
Great job KZ! Many people will quietly appreciate your work enjoying their music, while whiny reviewers will cry out loud in their piranha tank :)

Aug 21, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #62,417 of 63,916
If you’re interested with something recent with a magnetostatic driver, I recommend the Lafitear LM1. It has a nice sparkly treble (love it with 80’s Japanese Citypop) and overall sound I like. Don’t let the FR graphs out there (very V-shape) discourage you, this is one of those cases I’d ignore them. For less than $20 USD, it’s worth a try imo.
oh wow, i've heard Lafitear before but never really checked them, i really didn't know they also focuses in the budget segment too, very interesting, really like their designs as well

don't worry, i'm not really into judging IEMs by it's graph and i found myself to like other sound signatures as well (V-shape, U-shape or straight up neutral), as long as it doesn't have any real hardcore resonant peak lasering in my ears xD (that's when eq comes in) but my favorite target is the one by Banbeucmas

and hey that's awesome to know, i appreciate it man ^v^

Aug 21, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #62,419 of 63,916
Just sharing.

For those who want to get or curious about Krila, there is a competition going on in kztws.com in which they will give you Krila for $1 in exchange of a comprehensive review.

https://www.kztws.com/products/kz-krila-1
Screenshot_20230821-202947_Opera.jpg

In all honesty this is a risky move by KZ..

For why am I scrolling through kztws..I'm waiting for the Castor magnitude
response..😶🤸‍♂️
The problem with this is that they are not telling what criteria Judy will be using to establish whether there is a problem or not about IEMs you have.
This is a very bad idea.

Aug 22, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #62,421 of 63,916
They were actually fixing their tuning issue (of purportedly, the impedance dialed incorrectly during tuning that, I speculate, affected AST and ASX/ASF previously, as well).
Adding an impedance adaptor, approximates it reasonably, but the high-impedance version was released with different circuitry and the same drivers.

Having said this, I have all three variations (green, black, black high impedance) - I love AS16 pro in all shades :)
To me, removing the mesh from the nozzles eliminates some veil from the treble and let it breath, with no more adjustment needed to my ears for somewhat warmer original tuning.
The difference of the high-impedance version is not that prominent, yet it is the same price and can be a good option to get one's first AS16 pro, especially if one have more powerful sources.

ZAX and CA16 (warmer/analoguish one) are still my favourite hybrid duo.
Then KZ went to some different tunings (perhaps, figuring out impedances :)). Now, I am looking forward to Krila flying at a higher level with more BA for mid smoothness and balance.

KZ seems to be seriously after Crin :)
Well, fierce competition brings better products!
That's interesting, some people were talking about the original without the adapter being bad and how big of a difference it was with it. ASX and ASF were their biggest flops...beautiful disasters. Only nice to look at with those beautiful shells.

Aug 22, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #62,422 of 63,916
I also hope that, though the chance is slim. I have never seen any KZ product that has that kind of Truthear/Variation bassline.
It is sad, because KZ isn't giving any reason for a person that has Aria/Titan S/Olina SE a reason to buy a beater IEM from them.

I'm hoping they do something in line with the other Dual-DD IEMs to buy it. I want something good enough to not EQ it and use it in a gym or something like that. If Castor doesn't have that, I would prefer to use D-Fi (switchless) in this particular use-case or even wait to buy Galaxy Buds 2 in some sale.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #62,423 of 63,916
It is sad, because KZ isn't giving any reason for a person that has Aria/Titan S/Olina SE a reason to buy a beater IEM from them.
I'm buying almost every release with nice fr graph from KZ/CCA. Cuz why not not to get nice tuned iem with fraction of cost of Simgot or Tripowin Olina SE. I had a lot of more priced iems but I wasn't feeling fine with their price to performance ratio. So I selled them.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #62,424 of 63,916
I'm buying almost every release with nice fr graph from KZ/CCA. Cuz why not not to get nice tuned iem with fraction of cost of Simgot or Tripowin Olina SE. I had a lot of more priced iems but I wasn't feeling fine with their price to performance ratio. So I selled them.
Yeah, if they perform as good as your more expensive IEMs, why not sell it (before they lose their aftermaket price)?

I don't sell my Aria because the paint chipped out (classic Moondrop) severely, and they are good enough for EQ. By default, I prefer D-Fi tuning, but Aria responds better to EQ imo.

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #62,426 of 63,916
I'd rather buy kz than spend up to $300 on marginal differences. ever since d-fi, they've been on a hot streak. i run them on my wm1a and it's pretty much endgame for me. spend the rest on quality tips.
As much as i want to buy more mid-fi gears,

i use my IEM with my fieldworks and commuting.
I rather have a good budget earphone that won't cause me to break cold sweat in the middle of commuting because suddenly it develop channel imbalance.

and for home use, i use my openback headphone for good sound and the ability to be able to hear other people in the house.
thats why KZ and their sub $50 iems are my go to.
and i'm pretty exited that now many mid-fi companies is entering sub-$50 segments with various IEMs

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #62,427 of 63,916
As much as i want to buy more mid-fi gears,

i use my IEM with my fieldworks and commuting.
I rather have a good budget earphone that won't cause me to break cold sweat in the middle of commuting because suddenly it develop channel imbalance.

and for home use, i use my openback headphone for good sound and the ability to be able to hear other people in the house.
thats why KZ and their sub $50 iems are my go to.
and i'm pretty exited that now many mid-fi companies is entering sub-$50 segments with various IEMs

the older i get, nowadays i prefer cheaper TWS or AZ09 pro dongle with cheap KZs/CCAs/QKZs for everyday uses:
>ANC for riding, gym, and gaming/movies
>open/earbud style for home and in-bed listening to podcast/youtube
>headphones for recording/mixing at home

i only whip out my wired earphones if I'm going to listen to a full album

Aug 22, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #62,428 of 63,916
Yeah, if they perform as good as your more expensive IEMs, why not sell it (before they lose their aftermaket price)?

I don't sell my Aria because the paint chipped out (classic Moondrop) severely, and they are good enough for EQ. By default, I prefer D-Fi tuning, but Aria responds better to EQ imo.
Most of times I doing that - selling them before they lost price, but there's sometimes unique tuning and I wanted to keep them as long as it's possible (before completely devalued).

Nowadays I have quite big collection, too much good gear, which I can't leave, it's too cheap to sell, and too good tuned.

I haven't got Aria, but I have Kanas Pro, and before that I had Kanas (without pro) which I regret that I sold.

In my opinion KZ still need to work on timbre and resulution this two factors makes real legends. - Maybe some piezo drivers?

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #62,429 of 63,916
What would be really funny to see is that kz really finally managed to make one set of IEMs that competes with kilobuck ones(that seems quite impossible).

However, the way they handled their campaign raised too much reaction and antipathy that the whole audiophile community would shoot the first reviewer guy in the head if somehow claims that kz is right lol.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #62,430 of 63,916
What would be really funny to see is that kz really finally managed to make one set of IEMs that competes with kilobuck ones(that seems quite impossible).

However, the way they handled their campaign raised too much reaction and antipathy that the whole audiophile community would shoot the first reviewer guy in the head if somehow claims that kz is right lol.
That actually true, it would be so difficult for any reviewer to be able to say “they’ve actually done it”, would probably need to check in with what others have been hearing first before publishing 🤣🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back