Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 24, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #62,446 of 64,167
Another day, another two or three KZ models...lol.

The Krila was the first KZ I have bought in years and I like it, I should stop looking at this thread because KZ keep manufacturing FOMO out of thin air.

Have you seen this KZ Bass Castor (2DD), KZ take on the recent 2DD hype complete with Bigboys BASS with mids and treble graph of Moondrop Variation for $12?

Traced...that big boi bass really intrigues me.

Or perhaps a hybrid IEM, CCA Pianist (1DD+2BA) who are armed with new generation bellsings BA with similar tuning with Simgot EM6L, for lowly price of $29?

Traced it, looks promising.. assuming they measured it with foam tips on, we can expect more peak with silicone tips.

yeah, FOMO is somewhat strong with KZ. the fact that majority of them are sub$50 makes FOMO worse

Attachments

• 1692934439206.png
    1692934439206.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #62,448 of 64,167
KZ Castor or CCA Pianist ?? it's confusing now

If you come back next week, it might be the Castor PRO or Pianist ULTRA/MAX LOL.

Aug 25, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #62,449 of 64,167
It's easy for me. I'd probably have a hard time hearing anything between 200Hz-1000Hz over the Harman IE like treble. So I want none.

Edit: And while on the subject of Harman. Are there any IEM out there that despite their form factor they're tuned after Harman OE instead?

And when people call the tuning of an IEM Harman-like. Should I always assume it's Harman IE abd never Harman OE for that matter?

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #62,451 of 64,167
btw Castor sales page is now live with Standard and Bass edition options

https://www.kztws.com/products/kz-castor
Confused: Is the black one a bassy version and silver a more neutral version?
Or are the two versions identical and it's just examples of what the tuning switches do?

Edit: Must be two versions. Don't think switches can change the curve that much.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #62,452 of 64,167
Aug 25, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #62,453 of 64,167
let me bite the castor bullet

Aug 25, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #62,454 of 64,167
let me bite the castor bullet
Two for me (with the second gangster-style control bullet of the "bassy" one; would their beat the Beats?) I just felt guilty for shipping costs of one $12 IEM to NA.
My take on this dilemma is to wait on a more refined KZ version of a hybrid IEM with more BAs (5-7), hopefully finally superseding ZAX&CA16 with a newer DD.
That's interesting, some people were talking about the original without the adapter being bad and how big of a difference it was with it. ASX and ASF were their biggest flops...beautiful disasters. Only nice to look at with those beautiful shells.
True.
Yet to me my modified ASX is still my main IEM rivallimg T800 (T800 surely have more proper, more refined sound, while being a source-demanding beast).
Being surprised by narrow TWS-style nozzles, feeling that sound is somehow striangulated, and taking what I learned from clarinet accoustics (namely, wide-bore (British-style) clarinets sounding more open), I dared to replace the nozzles with wider ones used before by KZ (non-reversible and messy operation, at least with my limited skills, so hard to recommend).
During the nozzle replacement I realized that the treble sound guide was firing directly to the rim of the narrow nozzle (likely some last- minute production replacement of the nozzle was unfortunate).
So with a very open nozzle, the bass became rampant and totally spill to the mids (virtual listeners of the tuning curves would be totally flabbergasted and wiped out). Then, 8 treble BAs. (4 TWFK-styled & 4 SWFK-styled) mightily spread the treble everywhere. Overall result: totally overwhelmed "V" became a bit straightened and feels very engaging, while resolving, and delivering music in all its drive to my ears (and I am not sure how much would it be universally preferred tuning by any means).
My second pair of ASX, that is in current use, has all in the glue scars from repairs of being heavily enjoyed, but still holding up (I have few more pairs).

Anyhow, that is why I love KZ IEMs in all their perfection and imperfections.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #62,456 of 64,167
whoa... that is a big boi bulgy bass o.o

wow i'm so glad to see KZ actually made the bass tuck tuning, was waiting for something like that and been wondering, the last one they did properly was their wireless KZ VXS a while back, this is unexpected and quite awesome to see and i wonder what they'll do with it in the future

Aug 25, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #62,457 of 64,167
My take on this dilemma is to wait on a more refined KZ version of a hybrid IEM with more BAs (5-7), hopefully finally superseding ZAX&CA16 with a newer DD.
Hi @PhonoPhi, @Atek2019 , I think the CCA HM20 is a interesting version with a new DD and 7 BA's.
I didn't buy (maybe later?), but according the youtube review of Jordan Oki, it's good (a smaller AS16 Pro), and it has much bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back