Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 17, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #62,056 of 63,916
Try this EQ, preferably with foam ear tips and let me know what you think. I've been listening and tweaking this EQ for days and IMO these are better than my blessing 2 now.

My only concern with EQing these is after 2000hz everyone's seem to measure a bit to a lot different. So I do think unless you can get your own set measured then after making EQs using other people's graphs a bit of time spent tweaking is well worth it.
I somehow got used to the treble. 6-9k doesn't bother me so with your EQ I'm missing energy there now. While many complain about 8k with their v2, I actually boost it and it seems like my set is hot at around 15k. But I need more testing and better understanding of EQ to say for sure.
I've got the same dongle, but trust me, You're not powering them no problem. I've got a shio dongle, and on normal gain they sound like that one, but when I flip to high gain the pr2s open up massively
Do you think something more expensive and powerful like dc04 pro would open it up even more? I'm eyeing Shio, FC4, q11 and dc04 pro and wondering which one is the soundstage size/$ sweet spot for such planars.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #62,057 of 63,916
I somehow got used to the treble. 6-9k doesn't bother me so with your EQ I'm missing energy there now. While many complain about 8k with their v2, I actually boost it and it seems like my set is hot at around 15k. But I need more testing and better understanding of EQ to say for sure.

Do you think something more expensive and powerful like dc04 pro would open it up even more? I'm eyeing Shio, FC4, q11 and dc04 pro and wondering which one is the soundstage size/$ sweet spot for such planars.
Add Tanchjim space and E1DA 9038s to your list

Jun 17, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #62,058 of 63,916
This!

Just look up on that thread how to trigger Aux Mode (or High Impedance if you must) in V30 and you'll be fine.
If you are using an impedance adapter to trick HI mode be sure to understand the procedure and remove it from the chain after triggering HI and before start listening. The impedance adapter left in the chain will alter the sound profile, maybe for the worst.

I'm using PR2 v2 + Starlines + V30 in Aux Mode (at vol step 40 it's just about right) and it works very well.
I don't feel like eq'ing mine. Possibly unit variation or my ears/age tolerance.
I will be trying my replacement PR2s with my V30 and V40 for sure, so this is good to know. I tried my V30 the otber day with the ASTs and it made for a great listening session. No HI or AUX modes required. What a synergy:

V30/UAPP/Off the Wall (Michael Jackson)>>Tripowin Zonie cable>>KZ AST

Jun 17, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #62,060 of 63,916
https://twister6.com/2023/06/13/the-dongle-olympics/
This guy gives a different picture.
Tempotec's new BHD pro is also out in aliexpress. Unfortunately, they don't shop to India. Only few sellers ship to India via Hong Kong as many Chinese products are banned to sell directly here.
I had to get my PR2 v1 via Hong Kong from kztws.com.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #62,061 of 63,916
Hi, I have quite powerfull E1DA 9038s (balanced) and it is not enough to drive PR2 properly (treble peaks, bloaty bass,...). I have to add external powerbank into the setup (this is advantage of dongles without a tail), now PR2 takes as much power as it needs.

I'd suggest properly EQing the PR2 to accommodate your anatomy (i.e. HRTF) and preference before wasting money on another hardware component. The 9038S is more than powerful enough to deafen you as is.

Something as simple as a poor seal of the eartips can throw frequency response all over the place, and it always skews the bass and treble. So, different eartips may be in order.

Jun 17, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #62,062 of 63,916

It doesn't surprise me, these units seem to be all over the place after 2k between units. You're unit is probable less peaky than mine. It could also be power as well possibly, mine sound soft and slow until I turn the amp the high gain then the driver comes alive. I can actually take the region past 2k down another decibel or two and the sounds really relaxed, but like you said, I didn't want to take away the qualities of the driver completely. However I can't handle it more boosted than I have it now, it gets fatiguing.

I would try to at least EQ out the splashyness you mentioned though, mine had the same and now they sound super tight on the top end.

Jun 17, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #62,063 of 63,916
The more I listen to these the more im convinced planars are the future for iems. These drivers are outstanding for the money when given enough power. I honestly think in a few years when they've got the production consistency and tuning issues sorted we'll be seeing $100/$200 plants that are beating everything else up to like $800.

The only issue for me with planar is they keep trying to make them more efficient with single sided magnets and thinner membranes and this takes away some of their strengths when, especially with iems, where weight isn't and issue, it might be better to just give them more power with balanced cables and better DAC amps.

Jun 17, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #62,064 of 63,916
Sometimes you just gotta do something out of your norm.

Have a look at this Cursed EQ -
1687017144292.png

It almost feels like my arms are shaking when the bass hits.

The best part? There's no loss of bass quality, or control. It's still fast and accurate. These planars are best drivers for such crazy EQs

Jun 17, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #62,065 of 63,916

Have a look at this Cursed EQ - 1687017144292.png

The best part? There's no loss of bass quality, or control. It's still fast and accurate. These planars are best drivers for such crazy EQs
Yeah with enough power the bass is outstanding on them. Hans Zimmer tracks at full volume and a high bass shelf are awesome with these and no detail gets lost

Jun 17, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #62,066 of 63,916
Try this EQ, preferably with foam ear tips and let me know what you think. I've been listening and tweaking this EQ for days and IMO these are better than my blessing 2 now.

My only concern with EQing these is after 2000hz everyone's seem to measure a bit to a lot different. So I do think unless you can get your own set measured then after making EQs using other people's graphs a bit of time spent tweaking is well worth it.

Better than what I had, thanks. I am running them (V2) from a Fiio M11 with Comply T500 tips (the included foams didn't seal and they were treble monsters). Although with the foam tips, I was reasonably comfortable without any EQ. This EQ is a little "fuller" than the one I had settled on previously.

Jun 17, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #62,067 of 63,916
Better than what I had, thanks. I am running them (V2) from a Fiio M11 with Comply T500 tips (the included foams didn't seal and they were treble monsters). Although with the foam tips, I was reasonably comfortable without any EQ. This EQ is a little "fuller" than the one I had settled on previously.
That's exactly it, male voices lacked fullness and texture, the sub bass was good but there was no mid bass and the treble is splashy, the treble really reminded me of the old days when I had grados.

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to globally EQ these because they are very inconsistent unit to unit.

I'm still tweaking my EQ. I've been playing with different bass shelf's because these drivers can produce a lot of bass with enough power

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230617-185733.png
    Screenshot_20230617-185733.png
    181.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230617-185738.png
    Screenshot_20230617-185738.png
    192.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230617-190852.png
    Screenshot_20230617-190852.png
    242.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #62,068 of 63,916
"Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to globally EQ these because they are very inconsistent unit to unit."

With the PR2 v2's frequency response now being controlled entirely by electronics and a nozzle filter, unit variation will be reduced to an absolute minimum. PR2 v1 would exhibit more unit variation because of the greater potential of misalignment of the filter over the driver. This greater potential was due more room for filter movement leading to a loser tolerance.

It's not possible to create a universal EQ, which is something that even Harman doesn't attempt to do, because of Head Related Transfer Function and personal preferences.

Here's an example of the shelving filters used in Harman's research:

1611753616263.png

These are variances on the order of ±10 dB!

Dr. Olive, one of the principle researchers of the Harman targets, can be found discussing it himself here.

Regarding HRTF, it is "a response that characterizes how an ear receives a sound from a point in space. As sound strikes the listener, the size and shape of the head, ears, ear canal, density of the head, size and shape of nasal and oral cavities, all transform the sound and affect how it is perceived, boosting some frequencies and attenuating others. Generally speaking, the HRTF boosts frequencies from 2–5 kHz with a primary resonance of +17 dB at 2,700 Hz. But the response curve is more complex than a single bump, affects a broad frequency spectrum, and varies significantly from person to person." - Wikipedia - Head Related Transfer Function

When both unit variation and especially HRTF are taken into account, the futility of attempting to create a universal EQ profile for the PR2 becomes glaringly obvious.

So, we start with a baseline, which is whatever target response curve one generally finds to be the most pleasing - with the PR2 this was what the collaboration between KZ and HBB came up with - and we personalize it from there.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #62,069 of 63,916
Hey guys, I'm feeling the itch again - out of all the units I've tried so far, my favorites are the CCA C12, CCA C10 and KZ ZS7.The ZS7 would probably be the overall winner but it hurts my ears, whereas the CCAs are much better in this regard. Are any of the currently available CCA models an audible upgrade?

I'm very much a fan of the V-shaped tunings CCA and KZ put out, so I already really like the sound signatures of the IEMs listed above, but I'd like some additional clarity on the very top end (10kHz+) and possibly a slightly tamed upper mid area (the spikes from 3-5kHz, depending on the model). Slightly smoother sound, but extended further into the high range is what I'm looking for.

More definition in the mids is probably not something to shoot for as it's unlikely to be possible with the tuning I like (even on much higher end headphones once I'm done EQ'ing them to my taste they lose a lot of detail in the midrange).

So... which current models should I be looking at?

I think trying out the new single DD models is also probably a no-brainer, right?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #62,070 of 63,916
Just a new PR2 EQ profile for your consideration.

I built it a few hours ago, have been listening with it since, and believe it's more tonally balanced and neutral.

I based the EQ profile upon Paul Wasabii's measurements for the Crinacle Zero:Red and the PR2, and the Harman IE 2019 target.

My pinna gain looks closer to the CZR, but it's not. It's merely a high shelf filter curving the Harman by - 2.75 dB from the target. At the bass region, we've a low shelf filter to curve the region by - 2.75 dB as well to adhere to the Zero:Red.

PR2 (pw zr).png

My Whizzer DA1 arrived eariler this week as well...

images.jpeg

I'm satisfied with the build and sound quality.

As the review's independent measurements confirmed, it's transparent and high fidelity. And that's what I hear, very clean, uncolored sound.

Peace... 😎
Why would you kill the treble air of the PR2 lol.

The more I listen to these the more im convinced planars are the future for iems. These drivers are outstanding for the money when given enough power. I honestly think in a few years when they've got the production consistency and tuning issues sorted we'll be seeing $100/$200 plants that are beating everything else up to like $800.

The only issue for me with planar is they keep trying to make them more efficient with single sided magnets and thinner membranes and this takes away some of their strengths when, especially with iems, where weight isn't and issue, it might be better to just give them more power with balanced cables and better DAC amps.
Thinner drivers do make the sound more analytical based on my experience with hifiman headphones. The Nano Diaphragm ones sound faster, and crisper.

The magnet shape and structure also make a big impact to sound. I don't like their stealth magnet upgraded headphones versus the originals. They always sound more muted even though they're are claimed to be more acoustically transparent than the original magnets.

KZ PR2 -
I wonder if there is any sound difference between foam versions and version without foam in front of the driver. I've got the PR2 without it.
(I love the sound of PR2 when amped, it's so smooth but engaging while still clear. It beats Aria , Olina even Kxxs.)
Yes, less coherent on mine compared to the PR2 V1 and overall worse technicalities and less polished treble.

Have a look at this Cursed EQ -

I eqed them to have annihilator like bass levels (as fan as you can get without bloat) and they sound great.

graph(35).png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back