May 22, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #61,621 of 63,897
Well I finally got the coupler

Here's what i measured
*Updated with better calibration
graph(22).png
graph(23).png
graph(24).png
graph(25).png

Normalised to 60dba at 1khz post measurement, with stock calibration file (can be poor) so its not directly comparable to other graphs.

Of note is the difference in volume of the left and right is not shown if normalised to 60dba at 1khz, this is how the PR2 IV looks if unnormalised.

PR2 IV Unaligned.png

So the "good" set does seem to have less peaks and the flat response from 2 to 8khz and the bad set has a brighter than usual right and a duller left.

I wonder how the duller III right and duller IV left will sound combined. Will be try it out tmr.

PR2 III (purple) + IV L (green).png

Attachments

• PR2 I.png
    PR2 I.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 0
  • PR2 II.png
    PR2 II.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PR2 III.png
    PR2 III.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PR2 IV.png
    PR2 IV.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #61,622 of 63,897
I really need to stop buying gear, went through a old storage box this weekend and came across 3 cases just like this on of dormant cables and gears and I've gifted so much to friends over the years and yet I still have cases and cases of stuff :scream: At least 7 KZ's in here amongst other classics!

A Fist Full Of KZ's.JPG

May 22, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #61,623 of 63,897

Here's what i measured

PR2 I.pngPR2 II.pngPR2 III.pngPR2 IV.png

Normalised to 60dba at 1khz post measurement, with stock calibration file (can be poor) so its not directly comparable to other graphs.

Of note is the difference in volume of the left and right is not shown if normalised to 60dba at 1khz, this is how the PR2 IV looks if unnormalised.

PR2 IV Unaligned.png

So the "good" set does seem to have less peaks and the flat response from 2 to 8khz and the bad set has a brighter than usual right and a duller left.

I wonder how the duller III right and duller IV left will sound combined. Will be try it out tmr.

Yikes, that's some pretty significant unit variation!

May 22, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #61,624 of 63,897

Here's what i measured

PR2 I.pngPR2 II.pngPR2 III.pngPR2 IV.png

PR2 IV Unaligned.png

So are we playing PR2 Roulette or what?

May 22, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #61,626 of 63,897
I really need to stop buying gear, went through a old storage box this weekend and came across 3 cases just like this on of dormant cables and gears and I've gifted so much to friends over the years and yet I still have cases and cases of stuff :scream: At least 7 KZ's in here amongst other classics!

A Fist Full Of KZ's.JPG
When do you start your 12 step program?

May 22, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #61,628 of 63,897

When do you start your 12 step program?
Just make sure it doesn't turn into a 13 step program when a special offer "that's too good to pass up" comes up in a sale!:L3000:

Edit: not that I can talk, I just ordered a TRN MT4 because it was on sale for $10. :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #61,629 of 63,897
Given how easy to change the measured response with IEMs, I'd say no; A slight tap is enough to throw one off by a micrometer on the fixture and change the response.
I'm aware, thats why i'm measuring it on a foam surface. I'm also taking an average of 3 fits for each side.

Measurement Consistency.pngMeasurement Consistency Smoothed.png

I've also measured the effect of tips and the foam is doing quite a bit to tame the treble. Switching to the Moondrop Sping Tips and CoreIR tips shows much more elevated treble.

PR2 I L is being used for these results

PR2 Tip Rolling.png

May 23, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #61,630 of 63,897
Re: KZ PR2 with Apple dongle (US version) vs. with Jcally JM6 Pro.

I now own both. The US version (1.0Vrms) Apple dongle and USB Audio Player Pro are barely satisfactory to me. Granted, I like to drive my IEMs loud enough to recreate the sensation of listening in a night club.

The Jcally JM6 Pro is a 1.6Vrms DAC-AMP dongle - that is, it actually has a separate amplifier chip in it. The difference between it and the Apple is remarkable. The sound is more dynamic, impactful and open with the Jcally. The Apple isn't doing the PR2 justice to my ears and sounds strained in comparison.

May 23, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #61,631 of 63,897
So apparently there IS a measurable difference between the stock and KZ 784 core cable

PR2 Stock vs 784 cable.png

Squig.link is ready. https://seanwee.squig.link/
Recalibrated and remeasuring all the samples so more will be be uploaded over time.

Well, I tried the unholy combination, surprisingly not bad but noticeably rolled off.
graph(6).png

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #61,632 of 63,897
So apparently there IS a measurable difference between the stock and KZ 784 core cable

Squig.link is ready. https://seanwee.squig.link/
Recalibrated and remeasuring all the samples so more will be be uploaded over time.
Kz 784 is apparently one of kz best cable,
The lowest in resistance rating among kz cable in Riku list
----

Btw if you post this measurement on discovery thread,
It will cause long discussion on cable effect on iem sound

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #61,633 of 63,897
Kz 784 is apparently one of kz best cable,
The lowest in resistance rating among kz cable in Riku list
----

Btw if you post this measurement on discovery thread,
It will cause long discussion on cable effect on iem sound
I'll reserve judgement on anecdotal evidence for now.

And while I do subjectively think it sounds better, I can't link it to the fr graph. In fact the differences I mentioned hardly even show up in the measurements.

Quote:
Bass is tighter and more punchy. Mids gain a bit more resolution. It sounded grainy with the stock cable.

I've seen far smarter people try to correlate it to some measurable characteristic like distortion but it's never conclusive.

Correlation does not equal causation.

So are we playing PR2 Roulette or what?
The data definitely shows some variance between units, as mentioned before with the more rolled off units.

Going back to the topic driver alignment, there doesn't seem to be much correlation to the measured FR so that was a wild goose chase. I still think it has something to do with the tuning pcb but I could be wrong.

To be continued
PR2 v2

May 23, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #61,635 of 63,897
My Jcally JM6 Pro arrived a few minutes ago.

I'm happy with it, and I'm hearing no sounds of it straining when driving the PR2 even when listening to heavy bass and percussion tracks.

I view it as a pretty good purchase for ~$12USD... 📱⚡🎧🎶🎶😎

IMG20230523110721-01-01.jpeg
Can you confirm this dongle supports Microphone? I have the jcally JM20 and it does not support microphone. I want to be certain. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back