Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 14, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #61,411 of 64,152
I used the code I posted before and got two pairs for $48, so less than 39 quid? Absolute bargain price, just waiting a long time for them to ship
I purchased the ZS10 Pro X for €38 (£30.50) when it was released. Brilliant value for money and a really good IEM. Due to get the PR2 at the end of the month and purchased for roughly the same price. Hoping it's as good in terms of value for money.

May 14, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #61,412 of 64,152
Thank you both! As I have mention, I do not know if v-shaped will remove voice clarity with the ZS10 Pro X for jazz and acoustic music.
I am using currently Edifier R1700BT and Takstar pro 82.
Ah the Takstar Pro 82. Great headphone. I have these too and they are quite similar to my Beyerdynamic DT770 pros apart from they lack the clarity in the lower end compared to the beyers. And when you use the bass boost on the Takstars, it adversely affects the mids. Good headphone all the same though 👍🏻

May 14, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #61,413 of 64,152
When I see this level of target compliance I can't help but smile. Now, if I can just get some distortion measurements - I'm actually working on it. 📱⚡🎧🎶🎶😊

pw.pngbakHr19.pnght.png

May 14, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #61,414 of 64,152
... and lest I forget, a number of users here speak respectfully of the Kiwi Ears Cadenza, often describing it as the benchmark 35€ IEM. I don't have them, haven't heard them, but you can find a huge number of reviews. Maybe there's someone here who can compare their pros and cons. Have a nice day everyone.
Cadenza is also on sale at DD-Audio ATM. Funny how that happens when newer shinys get released! I haven't heard it either, but lots of good reviews.:L3000:

May 14, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #61,415 of 64,152
I just remembered something:

The Chromecast Audio is capable for ~2Vrms output.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6279377?hl=en

To get a taste of how well a high output DAC-AMP dongle will drive the PR2, I'm going to connect mine to the CCA later this evening. I'll post my impressions after I do so.

Google Chromecast Audio Analog Output Dashboard Measurement.png
Image - Audio Science Review

May 14, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #61,416 of 64,152
... and lest I forget, a number of users here speak respectfully of the Kiwi Ears Cadenza, often describing it as the benchmark 35€ IEM. I don't have them, haven't heard them, but you can find a huge number of reviews. Maybe there's someone here who can compare their pros and cons. Have a nice day everyone.
in $35, Candenza right now got competitor from BlonxHBB Z300, the BL03 successor.
Good enough competition that its now down to preference, some consider Z300 to be better, while the other prefer Cadenza.
Not to mention PR2 which unfortunately came with "high power source required" terms

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #61,417 of 64,152
KZ X HBB PR2 Review!
============================================
Pros:
- Better than previous KZ Planar IEMs while being relatively cheap.
- All-rounder, well-done bassy sound signature.
- Clean, elevated bass.
- “Natural”, detailed mids.
- Non-fatiguing upper frequencies.
- Greatly reduced planar timbre.
- Clean, quick, detailed transients.
- Excellent overall technical performance under 50USD (as it should, it’s a planar)
- Very good build quality.
- Very good fit, comfort, and isolation.
- Finally, a softer starline eartips!
- Aesthetically pleasing design language (subjective)
Cons:
- While the soundstage is somewhat “pseudo-immersive”, it isn’t the widest-sounding planar under 100USD in my book.
- Critically minimal accessories. A braided cable or even a case would’ve been a very good treat to anybody.
- 2pin QDC port (subjective)
- Needs a fair amount of power to sound the best (This isn’t really a con tbh because of course, this is a Planar magnetic IEM. I just like to put it here).
Good day! After 5 days of casual and critical listening, here’s my written review for the KZ X HBB PR2. Speed devil, revamped!
Disclaimer:
- I don’t read and read FR graphs. I only use my ears, as how earphones should be used.
- KZ sent this unit to me in an exchange for an honest, unbiased review. Rest assured that this review will do its best to devoid from any bias/es as much as possible.
- The following remarks and observations shall be made and owned only by me.
- No monetary compensation is/was involved before, during, and after the period of creation of this review.
- Your mileage may (and always, will) vary.
Burn-in time: 4-8 hours per day, 5 days.
Source/s used:
- Hiby R3 Pro Saber
- Fosi Audio DS1
- Non-HiFi smartphone (Infinix Note 12 G96), PC.
- Local Files via Foobar, YouTube Music, Deezer, and Qobuz with UAPP.
IEM/Earbud/Setup configuration: stock medium starline eartips, stock cable, any form of EQ or MSEB off, 40-60% volume, low gain and high gain.
Sound signature:
- The KZ PR2 is a warm-neutral sounding IEM. It can be perceived as a mild-v/u-shaped sounding IEM by most, depending on the setup used. Just like any other planar-magnetic IEMs existing in today’s market, it exhibits excellent technical performance. What sets it apart is it is cheaper and has less planar timbre when compared.
Lows:
- The lows are definitely elevated but never sounded overwhelming. The bass focuses more on the subbass than the midbass, making things rumble rather than punchy. Subbass really goes deep and thick whenever the track needs it. Despite being tuned that way, it is clean, and quick in attack and decay. Being tuned by HBB, bassheads on a budget may expect its bass to suffice on most bass heavy or EDM tracks.
Mids:
- “Clean and natural” is what I would describe the PR2’s mids. It never sounded recessed, or even drowned even on busiest tracks due to its midbass bleed-free mids, while keeping a tinge of warmth to the mids for a smooth listening experience. Lower mids are textured and exhibit a good amount of thickness and texture. Upper mids are slightly elevated, particularly on the female vocals. It is sparkly, airy, and clear. Sibilance, peaks, and harshness are absent on this IEM, which means this IEM can be recommended for those people who are sensitive to upper frequencies.
Highs:
- Moving on to the highs, it is well extended and detailed, with a good amount of air. I did not find it to be “lacking” or “rolled off”, but it may depend on the pairing used with the PR2. There is a bit of “planar timbre” present but definitely minimal when compared to most planar-magnetic IEMs I have encountered under 100 USD. This has better handling on planar timbre when compared to the KZ PR1 Pro, Letshuoer S12, 7Hz Dioko, and Moondrop Stellaris when compared.
Soundstage, Imaging, and separation:
- Of course, KZ PR2 is a planar magnetic IEM doing “planar things” - it is excellent in technical performance under 100 USD. Soundstage leans to the “pseudo-holographic” side wherein “you” are “immersed” in the music rather than just watching things in front of you. It is a bit taller than being wide, with a good amount of depth. Separation and layering are excellent as instruments and other elements in music never sounded overlapping even on heavy passages.
Comparisons!
VS Tangzu Zetian Wu:
- The Zetian Wu is a bassier, thicker, lusher, warmer sounding IEM. The KZ PR2 is less warmer and thicker, but sounds more open when compared. Treble on the Zetian Wu is less extended when compared to the PR2. Technical performance is also better on the PR2, but not by a mile. When compared, the PR2 tried to balance both technicality and tonal quality, while the Zetian Wu aimed for a musical, listening experience. It is also slightly harder to drive and has more planar timbre when compared.
VS 7Hz Dioko:
- Planar timbre are more obvious and apparent on the Dioko. It is also brighter and exhibits sibilance, pierce, and peaks most of the the times. Detail retrieval is slightly better on the Dioko, while the bass is better on the PR2. The rest is more or less the same.
VS Letshuoer S12:
- The S12 exhibits more recession of the mids when compared to the PR2. The bass is not as controlled when compared to the PR2 but hits harder. Treble is brighter and introduces more planar timbre and harshness compared to the PR2. The soundstage lacks a little bit of depth on the S12 when compared. The rest is more or less the same.
VS Moondrop Stellaris
- The Stellaris simply burned too hot and too soon. PR2 is better overall.
VS KZ PR1, PR1 Hi-Fi, and PR1 Pro
- The aforementioned 3 IEMs do share the same characteristics: all of them are more or less midbass-focused IEMs. The PR2 is subbass-focused. Mids on the three KZ Planar IEMs are a tad bit recessed when compared. The planar timbre are also more apparent on the three KZ Planar IEMs when compared to the PR2. The rest are nearly the same.
Verdict:
- The KZ X HBB PR2 is definitely one my recommended IEM for those people who seek a good-sounding planar-magnetic IEM under 100USD. As long as you pair this with a fairly powerful source (since it is a planar, of course) it sings well and is easily an all-rounder sounding unit. I will put this on my top recommendations under 100USD along with the Simgot EA500, Etymotic ER2SE, Celest Pandamon, and NF Audio NM2 if you are looking for a technically-capable IEM in this Chi-Fi market full of tonality-focused IEMs. KZ sure is an advocate of IEM cannibalism!
Pairing recommendation/s:
- Source: As all planars do, the KZ PR2 needs a fairly powerful source to shine. Fosi Audio DS1, IBasso DC05, Xduoo Link2bal, and FiiO KA3 are some of the examples. Or maybe, your Hiby R3 Pro Saber in high gain mode will do.
- Eartips: Eartips included are soft and good in quality, but you may always use your preferred eartips
- Cable: Cable is as good and basic as it gets. You may use your preferred cable as always.
Thank you for reading!

May 15, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #61,419 of 64,152
Good job, kedves Laleeee! Now I'll buy a PR2. :k701smile:
But I'm curious what you will say about the upcoming PR2 Pro, will worth the upgrade?... :relaxed:
I don't think KZ will release KZ PR2 pro soon (at least 1~2 month :D ).
This seems to be the limit of their Second gen planar driver.

we might need to wait for their Third Gen Planar Driver for PR3, hopefully an easier to drive planar driver while retaining the detail and gaining smoother, lusher tone.

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #61,421 of 64,152
KZ X HBB PR2 Review!
Pros:
- Clean, elevated bass.
- Excellent overall technical performance under 50USD (as it should, it’s a planar)
Cons:
- While the soundstage is somewhat “pseudo-immersive”, it isn’t the widest-sounding planar under 100USD in my book.
- Critically minimal accessories. A braided cable or even a case would’ve been a very good treat to anybody.
- Needs a fair amount of power to sound the best (This isn’t really a con tbh because of course, this is a Planar magnetic IEM. I just like to put it here).
Good day! After 5 days of casual and critical listening, here’s my written review for the KZ X HBB PR2. Speed devil, revamped!
Disclaimer:
- I don’t read and read FR graphs. I only use my ears, as how earphones should be used.
- KZ sent this unit to me in an exchange for an honest, unbiased review. Rest assured that this review will do its best to devoid from any bias/es as much as possible.
- No monetary compensation is/was involved before, during, and after the period of creation of this review.
Source/s used:
- Hiby R3 Pro Saber
- Fosi Audio DS1
IEM/Earbud/Setup configuration: stock medium starline eartips, stock cable, any form of EQ or MSEB off, 40-60% volume, low gain and high gain.
Sound signature:
- The KZ PR2 is a warm-neutral sounding IEM. It can be perceived as a mild-v/u-shaped sounding IEM by most, depending on the setup used. Just like any other planar-magnetic IEMs existing in today’s market, it exhibits excellent technical performance. What sets it apart is it is cheaper and has less planar timbre when compared.
Lows:
- The lows are definitely elevated but never sounded overwhelming. The bass focuses more on the subbass than the midbass, making things rumble rather than punchy. Subbass really goes deep and thick whenever the track needs it. Despite being tuned that way, it is clean, and quick in attack and decay. Being tuned by HBB, bassheads on a budget may expect its bass to suffice on most bass heavy or EDM tracks.
Mids:
- “Clean and natural” is what I would describe the PR2’s mids. It never sounded recessed, or even drowned even on busiest tracks due to its midbass bleed-free mids, while keeping a tinge of warmth to the mids for a smooth listening experience. Lower mids are textured and exhibit a good amount of thickness and texture. Upper mids are slightly elevated, particularly on the female vocals. It is sparkly, airy, and clear. Sibilance, peaks, and harshness are absent on this IEM, which means this IEM can be recommended for those people who are sensitive to upper frequencies.
Highs:
- Moving on to the highs, it is well extended and detailed, with a good amount of air. I did not find it to be “lacking” or “rolled off”, but it may depend on the pairing used with the PR2. There is a bit of “planar timbre” present but definitely minimal when compared to most planar-magnetic IEMs I have encountered under 100 USD. This has better handling on planar timbre when compared to the KZ PR1 Pro, Letshuoer S12, 7Hz Dioko, and Moondrop Stellaris when compared.
- Of course, KZ PR2 is a planar magnetic IEM doing “planar things” - it is excellent in technical performance under 100 USD. Soundstage leans to the “pseudo-holographic” side wherein “you” are “immersed” in the music rather than just watching things in front of you. It is a bit taller than being wide, with a good amount of depth. Separation and layering are excellent as instruments and other elements in music never sounded overlapping even on heavy passages.
Comparisons!
VS Tangzu Zetian Wu:
- The Zetian Wu is a bassier, thicker, lusher, warmer sounding IEM. The KZ PR2 is less warmer and thicker, but sounds more open when compared. Treble on the Zetian Wu is less extended when compared to the PR2. Technical performance is also better on the PR2, but not by a mile. When compared, the PR2 tried to balance both technicality and tonal quality, while the Zetian Wu aimed for a musical, listening experience. It is also slightly harder to drive and has more planar timbre when compared.
VS 7Hz Dioko:
- Planar timbre are more obvious and apparent on the Dioko. It is also brighter and exhibits sibilance, pierce, and peaks most of the the times. Detail retrieval is slightly better on the Dioko, while the bass is better on the PR2. The rest is more or less the same.
VS Letshuoer S12:
- The S12 exhibits more recession of the mids when compared to the PR2. The bass is not as controlled when compared to the PR2 but hits harder. Treble is brighter and introduces more planar timbre and harshness compared to the PR2. The soundstage lacks a little bit of depth on the S12 when compared. The rest is more or less the same.
VS Moondrop Stellaris
- The aforementioned 3 IEMs do share the same characteristics: all of them are more or less midbass-focused IEMs. The PR2 is subbass-focused. Mids on the three KZ Planar IEMs are a tad bit recessed when compared. The planar timbre are also more apparent on the three KZ Planar IEMs when compared to the PR2. The rest are nearly the same.
Verdict:
- The KZ X HBB PR2 is definitely one my recommended IEM for those people who seek a good-sounding planar-magnetic IEM under 100USD. As long as you pair this with a fairly powerful source (since it is a planar, of course) it sings well and is easily an all-rounder sounding unit. I will put this on my top recommendations under 100USD along with the Simgot EA500, Etymotic ER2SE, Celest Pandamon, and NF Audio NM2 if you are looking for a technically-capable IEM in this Chi-Fi market full of tonality-focused IEMs. KZ sure is an advocate of IEM cannibalism!
- Source: As all planars do, the KZ PR2 needs a fairly powerful source to shine. Fosi Audio DS1, IBasso DC05, Xduoo Link2bal, and FiiO KA3 are some of the examples. Or maybe, your Hiby R3 Pro Saber in high gain mode will do.
- Eartips: Eartips included are soft and good in quality, but you may always use your preferred eartips
- Cable: Cable is as good and basic as it gets. You may use your preferred cable as always.
Thank you for reading!
It's just a copy of the suicideups review that's been up since this morning. Thanks to him.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-x-hbb-pr2.26453/reviews#review-30813

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #61,423 of 64,152
KZ X HBB PR2 Review!
Pros:
- Clean, elevated bass.
Cons:
Disclaimer:
Source/s used:
- Hiby R3 Pro Saber
- Fosi Audio DS1
Sound signature:
Lows:
Mids:
Highs:
Comparisons!
VS Tangzu Zetian Wu:
VS 7Hz Dioko:
VS Letshuoer S12:
VS Moondrop Stellaris
Verdict:
Thank you for reading!
Did you use happen to use balanced cable from powerful sources? From what I'm reading, people have used it on balanced output to get the best sound. But that defeats the budget planar recommendation as the cables will double the money spent for this single IEM. What's your opinion?

May 15, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #61,424 of 64,152
Hey all! For those of you who ordered the KZ X HBB PR2 from the KZ Gobal Store through Aliexpress....has your shipping information being updated? I got an email saying it was shipped on May 10th (I ordered on April 27), but on the tracking page I dont see anything, the Tracking number cant be found anywhere and I am just curious if I am the only one in this situation.
I am also a bit worried since I asked for them to be delivered at an Aliexpress pick up point and I dont know how will I ever know if they are delivered without the tracking information.
Thanks in advance!

May 15, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #61,425 of 64,152
Hey all! For those of you who ordered the KZ X HBB PR2 from the KZ Gobal Store through Aliexpress....has your shipping information being updated? I got an email saying it was shipped on May 10th (I ordered on April 27), but on the tracking page I dont see anything, the Tracking number cant be found anywhere and I am just curious if I am the only one in this situation.
I am also a bit worried since I asked for them to be delivered at an Aliexpress pick up point and I dont know how will I ever know if they are delivered without the tracking information.
Thanks in advance!
I'm in the same situation (ordered on the 27th, "shipped" on the 10th) and there has been absolutely nothing from the tracking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back