Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 9, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #61,321 of 64,221
May 9, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #61,322 of 64,221
Just got my PR2 today (ordered from kztws.com on Apr 26 for 39.1 USD). I live in Budapest, Hungary.

First test: sound is close to OG Zetian Wu (I do not have the Heyday); treble is more (I am on the verge if I want to tame it or not). Thankfully treble is not sooo much like PR1 Pro (sold in January for the sole reason of that treble).

My very first test tracks very "Gifted", "Deutschland" and "Adieu" from Rammstein.
I will test PR2 with Dark Ambient tracks (have a lot from Cryo Chamber); Metallica, Korn; and last but not least with Vangelis.

Sure it is harder to drive than "usual" DD ones but Apple Dongle on Android (with USB Audio Player Pro) can drive it, no problem. Also tested with Whooshi DAC.
Later I will try with Qudelix 5k.

Also PR2 does not work together with Jcally JA04 at all (neither Android not Win10 laptop recognizes the dongle if PR2 is plugged in).

Tunable D-Fi (1110 state) sounds muffled after PR2 :wink: .

Sorry not to write more detailed review but I am 55 (no detected hearing loss) with no musical talent or study; I am really a consumer here not more.
Sure I answer questions if I can.

Edit: cable is the cheapest KZ one; I will replace it.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #61,323 of 64,221
And it's being done by the same store (KZ Global) that so far hasn't even been able to ship orders from the launch event (mine is from April 27) 🤪
Maybe they have the stock. I own a fashion brand and manufacture everything in China. It's amazing how just-in-time manufacturing works. Also, would KZ risk their reputation by taking more orders if they couldn't fulfill them?

I'm going to leave my order and see what happens.

May 9, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #61,324 of 64,221
Just got my PR2 today (ordered from kztws.com on Apr 26 for 39.1 USD). I live in Budapest, Hungary.

First test: sound is close to OG Zetian Wu (I do not have the Heyday); treble is more (I am on the verge if I want to tame it or not). Thankfully treble is not sooo much like PR1 Pro (sold in January for the sole reason of that treble).

My very first test tracks very "Gifted", "Deutschland" and "Adieu" from Rammstein.
I will test PR2 with Dark Ambient tracks (have a lot from Cryo Chamber); Metallica, Korn; and last but not least with Vangelis.

Sure it is harder to drive than "usual" DD ones but Apple Dongle on Android (with USB Audio Player Pro) can drive it, no problem. Also tested with Whooshi DAC.

Also PR2 does not work together with Jcally JA04 at all (neither Android not Win10 laptop recognizes the dongle if PR2 is plugged in).

Sorry not to write more detailed review but I am 55 (no detected hearing loss) with no musical talent or study; I am really a consumer here not more.

I have ordered the PR2! So do they get somewhere close to the zetian technically? Especially the soundstage and depth?

May 9, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #61,325 of 64,221
May 9, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #61,326 of 64,221
Yeah, they were exclusive for pre sale but today i saw a one guy posted a new code for kz global store on a website called ozbargain. I tried it and it worked! İt's even valid till may 31. Again, a 16$ coupon
Kzglobalstore: https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0n0Dq0
Discount code: CKIA4QEC16VF
Thank you very much!
Dunno if anyone saw this, but it looks like the PR2s are going back on sale again tomorrow. Also looks like they have 10,000 pieces in stock.

(edit: forgot the link) https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805319091270.html

Screenshot 2023-05-09 105155.png
I wonder if the -15$ coupons will work? I didn't pay yet, so gonna check tommorow.

I didn't like Zetian Wu - they were lacking some sparkle at top and sounded too polite. At this moment PR2 looks quite promising, but deciding factor is of course low price.

May 9, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #61,327 of 64,221
I just received my PR2 about an hour ago, and here's my hot take on them after about 30 minutes listening time:

1) They're very clean and fast sounding. That is, there's no noticeable distortion and transients (drum hits, snares, etc.) don't smear.

2) Their tonality is quite good, even without EQ. I am going to EQ them later for a comparison, though.

3) They're not lacking in bass presentation, but it's not particularly overblown, either.

4) They're power hungry and require potent output to drive them properly. Without that, one might be underwhelmed.

5) The fit and finish, the aesthetics, are quite good and not at all cheap feeling or looking.

All and all, I'm satisfied with them... 📱⚡🎧 🎶🎶😎

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #61,329 of 64,221
Here is the comical conclusion of my communication with KZ Global regarding the PR2 order of April 27. This "shut up and wait" style response was preceded by my 2 politely worded pleas for notification of the expected ship date, as they only have about 2 days left before the automatic cancellation.
It seems that things are gradually starting to move at KZ Global. Today I got an email that my PR2s have finally been shipped after 13 days. Looks like all that's left to do is "shut up and wait".🍾🥂

May 10, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #61,330 of 64,221
It seems that things are gradually starting to move at KZ Global. Today I got an email that my PR2s have finally been shipped after 13 days. Looks like all that's left to do is "shut up and wait".🍾🥂
My order shipped too. Time to order some cables!

May 10, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #61,331 of 64,221
May 10, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #61,332 of 64,221
Pretty excited for PR2 but afraid of underpower and underperform it. 4 Vrms dongle is enough?

It seems planar is best for home stuff. My main listening times are commute and gym 👉👈
Even the AP80 Pro X can make the PR2 deafening loud on high-gain with only around 50% volume. However, the soundstage is significantly more compact and in-the-head, and the bass is a bit more "one-note" than when I add a G5 in between, acting as an amp.

If you don't care about soundstage that much when you are on the go, I don't think you need to worry about underperforming it.

May 10, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #61,333 of 64,221

Just got notification that mine are on the way. I had already added 30 days to shipping time, just in case. Noticed that KZ Global Store is still offering a good discount for "Discovery" promotion at the moment. So still an opening for any who missed the coupon! :L3000:

May 10, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #61,334 of 64,221
Just got notification that mine are on the way. I had already added 30 days to shipping time, just in case. Noticed that KZ Global Store is still offering a good discount for "Discovery" promotion at the moment. So still an opening for any who missed the coupon! :L3000:

Bro there is a high chance that a "PRO" or "ULTRA" version of this pokemon comes out within 30 day's time! 30 days is an eternity in the KZ clock!

But definitely hope they ship it out ASAP to all our friends here who bought it, living vicariously thru your impressions and look forward to reading them!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back