Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 11, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #61,351 of 64,368
I don't know why,
even tough youtube suppose to be lower res,
the sounds while might not be that detailed, it "pops" more that things like spotify.
different EQ?

That and youtube have many2 live session/recording that i actually love and not in spotify or other media.
Some artist that i follow sounds better in live session recording.

I have a same feeling sometimes with Spotify and certain tracks where it feels super low quality compared to even YouTube Music, like some songs were uploaded in really low quality in the first place.

May 11, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #61,352 of 64,368
I don't know why,
even tough youtube suppose to be lower res,
the sounds while might not be that detailed, it "pops" more than things like spotify.
different EQ?

That and youtube have many2 live session/recording that i actually love and not in spotify or other media.
Some artist that i follow sounds better in live session recording.

Even though YouTube audio is lower res yet some videos have better audio quality comes down to the uploader and how the audio was post-processed. For example, I could go into a DAW (digital audio workstation) program like Ableton (what I used to use when I used to create electronic music), insert a video file and then post process the audio with fancy VST effect plugins to give the illusion of better audio. In the past, I did some audio/video projects and processed the audio like that for final uploaded videos and I got a lot of positive feedback on the audio quality alone.

PS - Just to add, if it's not clear, you can use VST or other audio effect plug-in types on MP3 files, etc - whatever audio file format works in the program in order to "enchance" or tweak the audio. Even running it through different flavors of VST EQs and Compressors can heavily alter/degrade/enhance the sound to your liking.

I suspect those who are uploading live concert footage probably tweak it even if it's audio directly captured from the mixing board from the actual concert.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #61,353 of 64,368
I have a same feeling sometimes with Spotify and certain tracks where it feels super low quality compared to even YouTube Music, like some songs were uploaded in really low quality in the first place.
That's likely the case, but also make sure you set your quality settings to the highest they can go. Spotify at least introduced an adaptive quality control based on the strength of your internet connection, but at the highest quality setting (320 kbps OGG Vorbis i believe), i know from personal blind tests that I can't tell the difference from a WAV or FLAC file.

May 12, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #61,355 of 64,368
Just a quick FYI:

The PR2 makes an Apple dongle (non EU) beg for mercy; it'll barely drive it to an adequate volume and has no headroom once there.

I've got the following on the way. It's inexpensive and has a separate amplifier chip - I should have it in two weeks:

https://hifigo.com/products/jcally-jm6-pro
And if I may ask you, please share in this thread your experience if you find the output power of the JCALLY dongle to be fully sufficient for mobile use of the PR2. 🖖

May 12, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #61,356 of 64,368
And if I may ask you, please share in this thread your experience if you find the output power of the JCALLY dongle to be fully sufficient for mobile use of the PR2. 🖖
I will. However, the review I'm going to link below - that reviewer owns the PR2 and the dongle I mentioned previously and said he's going to test the combination. He might get to it before I receive mine:

May 12, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #61,358 of 64,368
Just a quick FYI:

The PR2 makes an Apple dongle (non EU) beg for mercy; it'll barely drive it to an adequate volume and has no headroom once there.

I've got the following on the way. It's inexpensive and has a separate amplifier chip - I should have it in two weeks:

https://hifigo.com/products/jcally-jm6-pro
On the contrary: I use Apple dongle with my Poco F2 Pro and UApp: on louder rock and metal tracks I can not stand the maximum volume. Sorry, I have no idea about the dB.

May 12, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #61,361 of 64,368
That's likely the case, but also make sure you set your quality settings to the highest they can go. Spotify at least introduced an adaptive quality control based on the strength of your internet connection, but at the highest quality setting (320 kbps OGG Vorbis i believe), i know from personal blind tests that I can't tell the difference from a WAV or FLAC file.
Of course, my settings are set to the highest quality at all times, Wifi and Mobile data. The thing is, we never know what actual quality albums or songs are being uploaded, especially from different artists, small artists without any labels.

May 12, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #61,362 of 64,368
Just got the D-Fi model without the tuning switches, and they are a very good IEM, especially for the cost. KZ has really gotten a lot better at tuning. Construction is excellent, too. My only issue was that the medium tips that came with it were slightly too small for me (which is not typical for most medium tips in my experience). The large tips were the size I expected (too big for me), which meant I had to open up my library of tips to just get a good fit. Took me a little while to find something that would work well (a non-hybrid wide bore tip) that also fit the somewhat long stems on the D-Fi, but I found a good match. And now I'm seriously impressed by the sound of the D-Fi!

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #61,363 of 64,368
Back in '16, a then obscure (to the West) Chinese telecommunications manufacturer, LeEco, introduced the world's first Android mobile to relegate the 3.5mm audio output to the dustbin in favor of what they called CDLA (Continual Digital Lossless Audio). We know it today as USB-C Audio.

Anyway, I purchased one back then and remembered that I still had its dongle tucked away.

It works, and I'm now listening to the PR2 at a more satisfying volume. I still expect the Jcally to surpass it, though, because it doesn't get party-in-my-mind loud, and that’s what I demand here.

I thought you all might be interested to know that, the PR2 really does come alive with more power.

If I were to make a comparison, I find the listening experience is actually rather similar to my speakers with these now. No, I don't feel a visceral bass thump in my chest, but do I feel it in my skull... 📱⚡🎧🎶🎶😎

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #61,365 of 64,368
I'll be running my PR2's on my phone, so i;m curious to see if they will run okay.

A lot of worrying comments about these IEM's
You might find a phone's power output to be merely adequate for the PR2. It's really nothing to worry about, though, as inexpensive (<$25USD) high power DAC-AMP dongles are widely available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back