Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 22, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #60,677 of 64,385
I forgot it a long time ago because I can't find a place to buy.
AS16 Pro High Impedance. 30Ohm. :smile_cat:
Old version, I can't force myself to like it.
But this one gets better without having to rely on an adapter.
It's important to change ear tips. :smiley_cat:
326054243_746714070405076_5797764107205145458_n.jpg
I have both versions too. I don’t mind the original AS16 PRO, but the I feel the high impedance version gives more depth to most of the vocal oriented songs I listen to (as in vocals are not perceived/localized in my head as much). I haven’t tip rolled since I don’t mind the sound with stock; however, starline ear tips cause my ear canals to itch after about an hour of listening

Jan 23, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #60,678 of 64,385
Measurements of the KZ x Crinacle CRN. Again, the CCA FLA ear tips really do their magic on this IEM imo :p Stock, I found the imaging and tonality off, and upper treble had this fizziness that distracted me. The FLA tips roll off the upper treble, which took away a lot the perceivable fizziness. I feel I like should buy another pair CCA FLAs for tips. I did the same thing with the Moondrop Chu to get another set of spring tips and have a backup Chu.

KZ x CRN.png

KZ x CRN Stock LR.png

KZ x CRN with CCA FLA Tips LR.png

Attachments

• 662D8DDE-FC86-4E36-8E56-20225E50B4B6.jpeg
    662D8DDE-FC86-4E36-8E56-20225E50B4B6.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #60,679 of 64,385
I got that last week
TRN Xuanwu and before that the week
Get KZ ZS10 PRO X.
I've tested both, including the following song: Trouble of the World
by Mahalia Jackson. As for hearing the voice, I couldn't tell any difference in quality with my ear. Mind you, I'm not an audiophile but an average listener. I connected the cable of the KZ ZS10 PRO X to the TRN Xuanwu. it is the best cable i have had in my hand so far. the reason is that the other cables all had to untangle. not these cables. especially when you're in a hurry, this cable is really better than all the others.
my special thanks for the decision to buy the two headphones go to Redcarmoose.
His reviews really helped me with my purchase.
i also owned the macaw gt600, the kz ba 10 and the cca c16.
Overall, dr cca c16 stands above all headphones I have tested up to here because it has enormous power. But like I said, I'm not an expert. but the first impression is that there is no difference in audio quality between the TRN Xuanwu and the KZ ZS10 PRO X. that's just my personal opinion. in any case, Redcarmoose was right: as an average listener, you really shouldn't spend that much money on headphones. both the TRN Xuanwu and the KZ ZS10 PRO X are completely sufficient.
Redcarmoose reviews are great. I hope he continues to do such a good job.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Jan 23, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #60,680 of 64,385
Wow I haven’t seem KZ thread being active for a while.

I’ve rediscovered that KZ retuned ZS5 at some point, it’s not typical KZ-V anymore.

Now remodeled ZS5 is on top of my favorite KZ IEM over ZAS😄

As you can see from the FR observations from the re-impression post, it’s not too far from Neutral with sub-bass boosted 7Hz Timeless✌️
Impression notes here

Wow, 2 10's, 2 6's and 2 0095's is different and it looks like KZ has cleaned house inside the shells as well!

KZ IMO have come a long way in the last 10 years, from the Ring Iron's and ED9's (both excellent entry level iem's as well) to the really nice iem's of current :beerchug:

KZ Legends.JPG

Crazy how much an $8 brass housing KZ unit destroyed the $19.99 Best Buy Plastic Skull Candies by a very long shot:grin:

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #60,681 of 64,385
I got that last week
TRN Xuanwu and before that the week
Get KZ ZS10 PRO X.
I've tested both, including the following song: Trouble of the World
by Mahalia Jackson. As for hearing the voice, I couldn't tell any difference in quality with my ear. Mind you, I'm not an audiophile but an average listener. I connected the cable of the KZ ZS10 PRO X to the TRN Xuanwu. it is the best cable i have had in my hand so far. the reason is that the other cables all had to untangle. not these cables. especially when you're in a hurry, this cable is really better than all the others.
my special thanks for the decision to buy the two headphones go to Redcarmoose.
His reviews really helped me with my purchase.
i also owned the macaw gt600, the kz ba 10 and the cca c16.
Overall, dr cca c16 stands above all headphones I have tested up to here because it has enormous power. But like I said, I'm not an expert. but the first impression is that there is no difference in audio quality between the TRN Xuanwu and the KZ ZS10 PRO X. that's just my personal opinion. in any case, Redcarmoose was right: as an average listener, you really shouldn't spend that much money on headphones. both the TRN Xuanwu and the KZ ZS10 PRO X are completely sufficient.
Redcarmoose reviews are great. I hope he continues to do such a good job.
Redcarmoose reviews are great! I bought the KB Ear Lark and KZ ZS10 Pro X based on his reviews. And I agree that average users shouldn’t have to spend too much. Before getting into IEMs, I think I was spending too much on full sized headphones (I overpaid for a lot of vintage stuff). My last big headphones purchases were a new Focal Clear and new Sony PFR-V1 (earphone). I was expecting to be wowed by these two given the price I paid for them, but they were incrementally better subjectively than some of the modded entry level headphones I had. Ever since I got into IEMs, I haven’t really gone back to over ear headphones. A lot of entry level KZ, Moondrop IEMs have given me more personal, subjective satisfaction than those 2 headphones for a fraction of the price.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #60,682 of 64,385
Might have to buy one of those new series ZS6's, I have to know if they have done a better job with wiring and especially their use of glue! I remember this post and just how horrible the wiring and more so the gobs of glue they were using :thinking:

KZS6 Guts.JPG

Jan 26, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #60,683 of 64,385
Did some more KZ Old School last night and listened to my 1997 DVD (thru my DAC Magic Plus) of Metallica's show in Dallas and remembered what an upgrade and final iteration the 7's were/are :grin: I do refer to them as my KZ Lucky 7's:beerchug:

Lucky No. 7.jpg

Jan 26, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #60,684 of 64,385
More measurements. Overall, I like the laidback nature of the KZ AS16 PRO High Impedance Edition: soundstage is wide (not overly wide) and has sufficient depth (most vocals and instruments in the music I listen to are projected outside of my head); there is body and weight to vocals and instruments with a little warmth (not as clear or forward as standard AS16 PRO); treble is safe, laidback, has sufficient sparkle and air.

KZ AS16 PRO High-IMP Edition Left and Right Channels.png

KZ AS16 PRO High-IMP Edition vs. KZ AS16 PRO.png

KZ AS16 PRO High-IMP Edition and KZ AS16 OG.png
BE08620C-5C2B-413F-BEFC-7B13121F463A.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #60,685 of 64,385
I'm looking to purchase the KZ ZS10 PRO X as a daily driver however I'm unsure whether to pick the mic or non-mic option, there is no price difference, so logically the mic option sounds like the obvious one with zero downsides? Am I missing something? Are there any differences in sound quality?

Jan 26, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #60,686 of 64,385
I'm looking to purchase the KZ ZS10 PRO X as a daily driver however I'm unsure whether to pick the mic or non-mic option, there is no price difference, so logically the mic option sounds like the obvious one with zero downsides? Am I missing something? Are there any differences in sound quality?
I’d stick with non-mic version if you have no spare aftermarket cables to resort to if you end up having issues with the mic version. I haven’t had any issues with recent non-braided, straight KZ cables with mics. The older braided cable that came with my KZ ZSN Pro X had intermittent cutting sound issues with the mic side.

Jan 26, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #60,687 of 64,385
I’d stick with non-mic version if you have no spare aftermarket cables to resort to if you end up having issues with the mic version. I haven’t had any issues with recent non-braided, straight KZ cables with mics. The older braided cable that came with my KZ ZSN Pro X had intermittent cutting sound issues with the mic side.
Cheers - I have a cable or two spare, so that's not an issue. In that sense I'm not too concerned about the overall reliability of the mic cable, given zero price difference the extra functionality just makes sense to me.

I just want to make sure I am not getting an inferior audio experience with the mic cable vs non-mic, which I shouldn't be? Also I assume the actual IEMs are identical?

Jan 26, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #60,688 of 64,385
Cheers - I have a cable or two spare, so that's not an issue. In that sense I'm not too concerned about the overall reliability of the mic cable, given zero price difference the extra functionality just makes sense to me.

I just want to make sure I am not getting an inferior audio experience with the mic cable vs non-mic, which I shouldn't be? Also I assume the actual IEMs are identical?
From my own personal experience, I haven’t noticed any perceivable, drastic sound degradation when switching between the newer KZ non-mic and mic cables on my ZS10 PRO X.

Jan 26, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #60,689 of 64,385

IEMs are identical. The mic version is handy as an alternative to a headset for zoom calls, or even just to answer a call without having to get the damned phone out. Main thing is, it's something else to fail if you don't use it. If you already have a non-mic upgrade cable, it gives you an option.:L3000:

I usually put an upgrade cable on and use a BT receiver with mic, so I can still take calls. But if I give someone an IEM, it's normally with a mic cable for convenience.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #60,690 of 64,385
Thank you both RetroE83 and Carpet, I'll go with the mic version (for convenience) in the absence of any inferior audio.

I usually put an upgrade cable on and use a BT receiver with mic, so I can still take calls.

Apologises for going off topic but was curious what this is and how it works?

One last thing before I pull the trigger on the KZ ZS10 PRO X, does anyone have any experience with regards to how it compares against the following:
  • DUNU Titan S
  • Kiwi Ears Cadenza
  • Truthear Hexa
  • CCA CRA
Looking for an everyday versatile IEM - working out, walks, music (mixed genres however quite a bit of DnB), late night movies and gaming etc. Unfortunately I've lost my much enjoyed Yamaha EPH-100 that I've had for over a decade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back