Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 26, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #59,702 of 64,020
Jul 26, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #59,703 of 64,020
Question: is the BA10 worth tracking down? How does it compare to the AS06?
AS06 are a great minimalistic IEM, that is V- shaped due to less prominent mids.
BA10 will be fuller, more balanced, the bass may feel less relative to AS06.
The fit of BA10 was always a bit of a problem for me, not so much due to size, but relatively sharp ridges of a beautifully made shell. Now, I found Dioko with their nice shell closely problematic for the fit...

AS10 have the same drivers as BA10 but warmer tuning, so it can be another alternative to consider with the same shell as AS06.

Jul 26, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #59,704 of 64,020
Banging on about this probably a bit much here. Sorry, if it's polluting the thread, let me know if this is a problem and I'll stop posting about this.

After trying out my ASF directly on my D10 line outs I cant stop listening to it. I've been reading about impedance and outputs of headphone amps and multi BA IEMs. The commonly perceived wisdom suggests impedance matching headphones and sources is to have a low output impedance source and low impedance multi BA IEM.And reading about it, it makes sense. From what I understand this is because of the low impedance can cause strange frequency interactions from the different impedance of the different drivers. That is, an unpredictable sound from a headphone if the amp has high impedance and the headphone is low.

However, I found one graph which shows the AST compared with different impedance sources. From 0 to 300 ohm amplifiers. As we know (on this thread) the AST is a 12BA per side IEM. And as an example here the frequency does not appear to do weird things with high impedance inputs. I just thought it interesting and perhaps, although a sample of one, worth experimenting with anyway.

The graph confirms what I'm hearing from a naturally dark IEM like the ASF. On the D10 seems to open it up a bit in the mids and treble, 'sparkly' without being shrill or edgy.

Attachments

• ast_0-300ohm.png
    ast_0-300ohm.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 0
Jul 28, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #59,705 of 64,020
made a small modification that turned the sound of AS12.
So the first thing: +/- in the crossover are initially turned upside down, which is very strange...

The first thing I did was remove the brightness and sibilants in the middle - added 2.2uF in parallel for each mid armature + added 10 ohms.
For high frequencies (which are also given by sibilants), I simply added 47 ohms and that's it.

The headphones sounded much better: the bass is deeper and more percussive, the middle no longer screams, but at the same time it is rich in sounds and density, and the high frequencies are not so sharp.

Jul 29, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #59,706 of 64,020
Has anyone got the AS16 Pro and is able to compare it to the BA10?

Jul 30, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #59,707 of 64,020
I know I'm late in this particular game about the AZ09 Pro but it must be said after holding out for a couple of years: this TWS works and I'm perfectly satisfied!

Paired with my ZAX (and ZSX) it gives me a very pleasant listening experience. It checks all the boxes and though it is not APTX HD (or Adaptive) and just classic APTX, the sound knocks me off my feet nevertheless. And contrary to some comments, the case is not humongous (my regular case is even bigger). It's just not pocket sized and that's alright.

Thanks to all the reviews and comments I've read on Head-Fi for convincing me to pull the trigger. Now I'm just waiting for the multi BA iem that gets a generally positive recommendation before I take the plunge again.
IMG_20220730_133626.jpg
IMG_20220730_133626.jpgIMG_20220730_132841.jpg

Jul 30, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #59,708 of 64,020
I know I'm late in this particular game about the AZ09 Pro but it must be said after holding out for a couple of years: this TWS works and I'm perfectly satisfied!

Paired with my ZAX (and ZSX) it gives me a very pleasant listening experience. It checks all the boxes and though it is not APTX HD (or Adaptive) and just classic APTX, the sound knocks me off my feet nevertheless. And contrary to some comments, the case is not humongous (my regular case is even bigger). It's just not pocket sized and that's alright.

Thanks to all the reviews and comments I've read on Head-Fi for convincing me to pull the trigger. Now I'm just waiting for the multi BA iem that gets a generally positive recommendation before I take the plunge again.
IMG_20220730_133626.jpgIMG_20220730_133626.jpgIMG_20220730_132841.jpg
Hopefully., AS16 pro can fulfill the aspirations for ZSX & ZAX- llike IEM with the BA bass.

Jul 30, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #59,710 of 64,020
Got my AS16 pro tonight - just in 9 days!
20220730_084241.jpg

Some good AS10 vibes :)

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #59,711 of 64,020
Jul 31, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #59,712 of 64,020

It actually is aptX Adaptive. I've confirmed it with multiple aptX adaptive usb adapters. The chipset in the AZ09 Pro supports it. The key is in the source adapter used.

I'm running 24 bit 96kHz with the AZ09 Pro via this adapter:
T10p 24bit
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804206235637.html

The lighting modes on the devices confirm aptX adaptive in use (click the button 3 times to switch to aptX Adaptive), and there is a massive sound quality difference when you manually switch from aptx adaptive to aptx. You can also test using "exclusive mode" in Windows. The Windows mixer is bypassed and 24bit 96kHz plays successfully through the adapters on aptX adaptive mode and the AZ09 Pro.

So yes, the AZ09 pro is even better than KZ's own description. I think very few people truly know about this.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #59,713 of 64,020
It actually is aptX Adaptive. I've confirmed it with multiple aptX adaptive usb adapters. The chipset in the AZ09 Pro supports it. The key is in the source adapter used.

I'm running 24 bit 96kHz with the AZ09 Pro via these two adapters:
T10p 24bit
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804206235637.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804095087255.html

The lighting modes on the devices confirm aptX adaptive in use (click the button 3 times to switch to aptX Adaptive), and there is a massive sound quality difference when you manually switch from aptx adaptive to aptx. You can also test using "exclusive mode" in Windows. The Windows mixer is bypassed and 24bit 96kHz plays successfully through the adapters on aptX adaptive mode and the AZ09 Pro.

So yes, the AZ09 pro is even better than KZ's own description. I think very few people truly know about this.

This is yet another KZ trick, bait and switch. The early batch of AZ09 pro has the aptX Adaptive. So when the words are out, they disable aptX Adaptive on those in the later batches. People like me read about the aptX Adaptive on AZ09 pro are disappointed when we realized it only supports classic aptX. However, I have to say this is still a pretty good BT adapter. My other complaints are the bright LED and the flimsy control buttons.

Jul 31, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #59,714 of 64,020
My initial impressions on AS16 pro are very positive (and, hopefully, a bit more objective than my positive bias for KZ and penchant for all-BA IEMs; I learned a lot from Dioko recently, its extreme U of sub-bass and last-octave emphasis).

I used Tempotec E44 (my preferred transparent/brightish DAC) and wide-bore tips for AS16 pro and all other IEMs in comparisons. I have started with Chesky disks for comparison, then diverged and divulged into more music with the engaging AS16 pro (and in lieu of disclosure, my two AS16 pro (the first ordered is well behind in the mail...) are ordered with my own funds, no personal discounts, etc)

To start, AS16 pro share a lot with AS16 - the same size and shape of the shell to the best of my visual comparison, just a different top plate. Most of the drivers are the same other than new 31736 for treble. The bass (most importantly) and mid BAs are the older type (silver not black).

Compared to original AS16, the treble is definitely smoother and less emphasized. Comparatively, the bass and at least low mids are given a more prominent role for much more balanced tuning that retained clarity.

At the same time, on one hand, the midbass is quite emphasized (I like it) but it is the BA bass of the Knowles type, quite measured and laconic (I like it as well).

As a result, most significatly, the mids are more there, supported by the bass and not distracted by the treble. I was really surprised and happy that AS16 pro can be compared to Hisenior U4/T4 (before, KZs were different). Compared to U4, AS16 pro are more into midbass with less pristine clarity, but AS6 pro can do vocals.
I am not much into vocals other than some choral music. That is what I used for comparison: beatuful Estonian recording of Veljo Tormis
Screenshot_20220731-074609_Spotify.jpg

All-in-all, AS16 pro are still created/crafted for classical and acoustic music, significantly due to its still leaner BA bass.

I tried Rammstein, it is much more fuller and engaging with new rampant (Sonion-like) bass BAs of ASX (wide-nozzle modified) and AST than AS16 pro.

So coming from AST, the bass of AS16 pro would be drier, but treble is more freed for less tinkering to free it up from the original tuning. There is a beutiful smoothness of some AST upper mids; with AS16 pro, it is just more clarity. I would consider AST and AS16 pro to be on the same level.

Compared to BA10 (and AS10), new BAs, especially the mid-treble ones, are noticeably smoother: no graininess and steeliness of older BAs (I like the graininess and some steeliness as a favour); the bass is more emphasized, especially middbass, but it is the same leaner bass - the same drivers. The treble of BA10 is more extended in the range but with more tapering. The treble of AS16 pro does not do much in the last octave (8-16 kHz) but the remaining treble is more accentuated compared to BA10, not to the extremes of the original AS16, but still.
So moving from BA10 to AS16 pro - smoother more refined drivers, a bit more V, but not old-KZ "V" of ZS10 pro, for instance, but of more balanced with the mids not far behind, and geared for acoustic music. This last sentence should serve as a good summary to conclude these writings.

I will be happy to do more comparison, and if the time permits may attempt a more comprehensive review.

Jul 31, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #59,715 of 64,020
My last KZ was ZS6. I ordered the KZ ESX based on reviews. I will compare them to HD58x when it will arrive.
a little PSA, KZ eartips is not that good.
for ESX, if the bass a bit obnoxious, you will get better experience with it if you use widebore eartips like KBEar07/AET07.
My initial impressions on AS16 pro are very positive (and, hopefully, a bit more objective than my positive bias for KZ and penchant for all-BA IEMs; I learned a lot from Dioko recently, its extreme U of sub-bass and last-octave emphasis).

I used Tempotec E44 (my preferred transparent/brightish DAC) and wide-bore tips for AS16 pro and all other IEMs in comparisons. I have started with Chesky disks for comparison, then diverged and divulged into more music with the engaging AS16 pro (and in lieu of disclosure, my two AS16 pro (the first ordered is well behind in the mail...) are ordered with my own funds, no personal discounts, etc)

To start, AS16 pro share a lot with AS16 - the same size and shape of the shell to the best of my visual comparison, just a different top plate. Most of the drivers are the same other than new 31736 for treble. The bass (most importantly) and mid BAs are the older type (silver not black).

Compared to original AS16, the treble is definitely smoother and less emphasized. Comparatively, the bass and at least low mids are given a more prominent role for much more balanced tuning that retained clarity.

At the same time, on one hand, the midbass is quite emphasized (I like it) but it is the BA bass of the Knowles type, quite measured and laconic (I like it as well).

As a result, most significatly, the mids are more there, supported by the bass and not distracted by the treble. I was really surprised and happy that AS16 pro can be compared to Hisenior U4/T4 (before, KZs were different). Compared to U4, AS16 pro are more into midbass with less pristine clarity, but AS6 pro can do vocals.
I am not much into vocals other than some choral music. That is what I used for comparison: beatuful Estonian recording of Veljo Tormis

All-in-all, AS16 pro are still created/crafted for classical and acoustic music, significantly due to its still leaner BA bass.

I tried Rammstein, it is much more fuller and engaging with new rampant (Sonion-like) bass BAs of ASX (wide-nozzle modified) and AST than AS16 pro.

So coming from AST, the bass of AS16 pro would be drier, but treble is more freed for less tinkering to free it up from the original tuning. There is a beutiful smoothness of some AST upper mids; with AS16 pro, it is just more clarity. I would consider AST and AS16 pro to be on the same level.

Compared to BA10 (and AS10), new BAs, especially the mid-treble ones, are noticeably smoother: no graininess and steeliness of older BAs (I like the graininess and some steeliness as a favour); the bass is more emphasized, especially middbass, but it is the same leaner bass - the same drivers. The treble of BA10 is more extended in the range but with more tapering. The treble of AS16 pro does not do much in the last octave (8-16 kHz) but the remaining treble is more accentuated compared to BA10, not to the extremes of the original AS16, but still.
So moving from BA10 to AS16 pro - smoother more refined drivers, a bit more V, but not old-KZ "V" of ZS10 pro, for instance, but of more balanced with the mids not far behind, and geared for acoustic music. This last sentence should serve as a good summary to conclude these writings.

I will be happy to do more comparison, and if the time permits may attempt a more comprehensive review.
Apparently it will sound a bit better with Impedance adapter (18~-30 ohm), or using high power source like TK-2?
And it seems the target IEM for AS16Pro is QDC V14, i wonder if someone here have heard it and can compare

Users who are viewing this thread

Back