Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 13, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #59,641 of 63,917
Unfortunately not, then you are left to choose something with a QDC connector. I'd recommend the TRN TA1 Max, which are great hybrids for 50 euros, but have a more emphasized bass section, but in a very sympathetic way, without bleeding into the mids. Combined with the KZ AZ09 pro it's a great rig for going out, even in noisier environments, thanks to the quality bass and the reserve given by the high sensitivity of the IEM. I have personally tested it, being the happy owner of both the BT adapter and the aforementioned IEMs. Following is a link to the TRN TA1 Max reviews so you can form a better opinion.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/trn-ta1-max-universal-in-ear-monitor.25854/reviews
Sorry but is the QDC connector and the C pin connector the same? It looks like I got the az09 pro c pin

Jul 13, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #59,642 of 63,917
Sorry but is the QDC connector and the C pin connector the same? It looks like I got the az09 pro c pin
KZ C-type connector is QDC. Although XINHS and ivipQ do a separate KZ-QDC connector as well as regular QDC. I believe it is because the polarity is reversed. But reversed polarity should have no effect if both channels are reversed, since they would remain in phase.

Jul 13, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #59,643 of 63,917
KZ C-type connector is QDC. Although XINHS and ivipQ do a separate KZ-QDC connector as well as regular QDC. I believe it is because the polarity is reversed. But reversed polarity should have no effect if both channels are reversed, since they would remain in phase.
Ah I see. I am assuming the az09 pro would work with the zex then as well?

Jul 13, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #59,645 of 63,917
1657739948053.png

Jul 15, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #59,647 of 63,917
KZ and other brands (and reviewers of "free samples")

Recently, I had an opportunity to get Master & Dynamic ME05 from Amazon on a nice tip from a fellow HeadFi-er.
$8 in US, in Canada it was acceptable $12 - so why would not miss a chance to experience an IEM with the MRSP of whooping $200 and to compare with the recent single-dynamic KZ IEMs!

So here we are.

Pros: the package of ME05 is quite ample: case, tips, spare filters.
The tips are nice: four of themand while basic, the large one are really large (13.5-14 mm) and fitting me nicely, as well being my favourite large bores, so I was sure to experience all the bass and more open treble.
iEM look fairly elegant.
A decent dynamic driver.
Some sparkle and dynamucs are there, but a bit tubby/plasticksy.

Cons: non- replaceable noodle-like cable with unbearable (for any moves) microphonics; the case while nice is hardly any practical.
Can be OK for $10-$15, but hardly competitive at $25+ even with nice accessories, IMHO

The bottom line: compared to the current crop of KZ/CCA, (I largely did to a bit less treble-rich ESX as a more direct/fair comparison) ME05 is a notch below and is hardly competitive in about everything: timbre, dynamics, extension, stage; as it may be not unreasonable to expect for circa 2014 IEM, given all the recent amazing progress.

Now, my favourite/unfavourite part of the reviews of ME05 from those reviewers of "free samples" dating not from 2014/2015 but recent 2021! Those guys were getting "$200 free IEM" and surely shaped/biased their revews accordingly. I won't name them, one can easily google. Amazing to read how "worthy", "meritorious", nice" ME05 is in their opinion, while actually listening to them side by side with $20 KZs and chuckling sadly.

Not mentioning explicitly the horrible microphonics is a real shame if not a crime....

"The mass hysteria" to quote one of the most notorious HeadFi reviewer, the hysteria propagated by those reviewers... Really sad and decimating this hobby :frowning2:

Give all this "reviwer" bias, one can safely bet that ESX sent as a free $200-300 review sample will get all the glorious reviews, while ME05 sent as $10 KZ (and I personally would not pay more!) will get teared apart absolutely brutally!

I am sure the close-knit ChiFI village is already laughing quietly about it for quite some time now with different brands assembled in the same factory.

My sentiments, exactly, PhonoPhi.

I learned 2 things since buying the Master Dynamic ME05. (You learn something from every experience.)

-Avoid the online magazine hype train. I have my suspicions about how the company was able to get only positive reviews from this product.

-Marvel at the state-of-the-art drivers these days (2022). I compared this to the KZ EDX. I was stunned at how much better the EDX sounded; a $10 IEM.

Would I recommend ME05 at $10? Nope. I'll donate mine locally.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #59,649 of 63,917
Guys! Has anyone taken measurements of the FR KZ ESX w/o nylon mesh?
Yeap
what.png

Here's another measurement but with Tanya filter..don't try this its too bassy. That pinna is really needed to counter the bass.
ESX_vs_ESX_TaF.png

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #59,652 of 63,917
An image of the new AS16 Pro, it appears to feature 2 x 22955, 2 x 29689 and 4 x 31736 although two of those are hidden. So the same drivers as before, but perhaps the "S" versions of the BAs.

Attachments

• kz-as16-pro-04.jpg
    kz-as16-pro-04.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #59,653 of 63,917

I actually like the appearance of these, much like the CCA Lyra. The only thing though is the lettering. I think I'd be very tempted to hit it with some light-coarse sandpaper to try to remove it.

Jul 18, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #59,654 of 63,917
I actually like the appearance of these, much like the CCA Lyra. The only thing though is the lettering. I think I'd be very tempted to hit it with some light-coarse sandpaper to try to remove it.
Yeah. What is with putting left and right on the outside face? Don't even need it since you can tell more quickly just from the shape.

Jul 18, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #59,655 of 63,917
Hey, guys!

KZ ZAX vs. TRN VX Pro (Standard version). Thoughts?
ZAX is much cheaper than the VX Pro. CCA CA16 would be worth looking at too, if you like warmer relaxed tunings. Don't get locked into the KZ/TRN ecosystem, there are a lot of other manufacturers that offer better options under $100. Moondrop Aria, Tin T3+, GS Audio GD3C, Tipsy TTROMSO, Tripowin Olina and ECCI YST-02 are all good. They tend to provide better accessories too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back