Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 24, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #59,207 of 63,899
Any info about cca cra+ using which drivers as yet?
Same 3.8um diaphragm, different magnet and coil configuration (same as the EDA), different DD housing with added waveguide at the back. That's what I understand from their ads.
Screenshot_20220424-160611_AliExpress.jpg

Apr 24, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #59,208 of 63,899
Already on Aliexpress... But TWICE the price of the Original CRA ... :rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes: . It might be cheaper once it's available on Official KZ store BTW...

CRA+ Aliexpress link
I liked the CRA because the bass extended well and the mid weren't too recessed. It was also pretty clean.

This looks like a Steeper V with boosted mid-bass, recessed mids and rolled off upper treble!
Take with a pinch of salt!

CCA-CRA-Metal-Headset-In-Ear-Monitor-Phone-Bass-Wired-Earphone-With-Microphone-Sport-Game-HiFi.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Be interesting to hear how they sound, but I'm not holding my breath.

Apr 25, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #59,210 of 63,899
This is the official graph from the KZ earphones franchised store on Ali. They fixed the aspect ratio and the CRA curve actually looks recognisable.

-1088376470-1926194333.jpg

They are evolving.
Evolving after the bad feedback on the original graph. I was hoping they would re-do the graph to show the 40khz range needed for that Hires sticker.

Apr 25, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #59,211 of 63,899
Hello my fellow head-fier’s! Here’s my current impression of the KZ EDA triple IEM! :punch::sunglasses:

1650210058053 (2).jpg1650210058043 (2).jpg

All three EDA’s have surprising results in technicalities and overall stage presence and has different sound signatures as mentioned on the package. So far, so good! So, let’s continue…

1650210058043 (3).jpgkz-eda-img13 (1).jpg *

Heavy Bass Version:
Bass is immersive and actually satisfying for those wanting a bass-focused IEM demonstrating good texture and rumble, which makes them my favorite in the bass category. It has good depth with a very immersive soundstage that makes male vocals and guitar plucking sound so realistic. Surprisingly, the midrange has good transparency while the treble provides hi-end details as well. So, interesting enough, I wouldn’t say that these are only for bass heads, but also for those seeking a fuller and lower bass experience. In the end, I would consider these to be a V-Shape sound signature in the fun category making them convenient and delightfully suitable for the gym.

1650210058043 (4).jpgkz-eda-img13 (2).jpg *

Balanced Version:
For those wanting a balanced IEM, you’re in for a treat! But, I wouldn’t consider these neutral for the fact that the bass is clearly extended with a lower sub-bass rumble. And, even though the MID’s sound mid-centric with forward vocals, the treble can easily extend with plenty of soothing and amazing details. Soundstage is also as immersive as the heavy bass version with slightly tighter bass response with an overall nice transparent and airy sound to them. Honestly, in my years of listening to many IEM’s, this type of signature would be sold at a much higher price range according to the tuning. They do not display any harsh or sibilance on literally most of my tracks and can be enjoyed for hours at a time.

1650210058043 (5).jpgkz-eda-img13 (3).jpg *

High Resolution Version:
Bass is quick and nicely textured with good quality, but with less quantity overall, plus soundstage is not as immersive as the other two. Midrange is vivid and clear with a touch of air and transparency, which favors both male and female respectfully. Treble is very detailed, sparkly and crisp with excellent extension. Mostly, all the details do come through and exposed in high resolution, which means, it’s possible to experience some bad recordings while listening, and will not be so forgiving on certain tracks. So, even though I enjoy the high resolution version, it might not be for everyone. But, once and a while I definitely like to enjoy my tracks in all its’ glory and sparkly hi-end sizzling details. So, I consider these neutral-BRIGHT, IMHO.

kz-eda-img13.jpg
*PIC is courtesy of KZ for the KZ EDA

PROS & CONS:
PROS

All three are well made
All three are worth the asking price
KZ’s “balanced version” can easily rival more expensive brands
Comes with medium star-line silicone ear tips on all three

CONS
All three are not sold separately
Comes with only one detachable cable
Comes with only one set of small/large star-line silicone ear tips in the package
Bass version or high resolution version can be too intense for some

CONCLUSION:
KZ did a very good job setting apart the sound signature for each IEM for selective genre’s and is well tuned in this regard. Plus, I personally think it's worth the current low price. Though, the disadvantage is that they do come with only one silver-like transparent detachable cable and one set of small and large star line silicone ear tips in the whole package. But, on the bright side, all three do come with its own medium star line silicone ear tips installed on each nozzle. Unfortunately, there are those who had only wished for them to be sold separately, which I totally agree! In a way though, I did kind of grow fond of this three IEM trio after listening to them for some time now. But, if the price becomes much higher to the point of the lack of accessories not matching the expense, then that might be an issue for those looking for a budget deal.

Hope my impressions of the KZ EDA was helpful...:thumbsup:

- Clear

Very nice rundown of the trio. I do prefer the Hires version and I think most people will just assume the Hires is some boosted treble ear killer, but it is not. As you mentioned, it is better at detail and that is what got me with that one. Also as you said, the stage on the other two is different from Hires but still big enough to never feel cramped. The bass/treble balance is a bit different from Balanced to Hires since the gain on Balanced is lower like CRA and Hires is more traditional KZ. Hires just works out better for me but make sure you try both. More rambling here:

Apr 25, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #59,214 of 63,899
First post! Just got my first proper IEM with the CRN and CCA CRA as well as a gifted Ikko OH2. Liking them so far though I do have to say a bit lacking in bass. Looking to try the DQ6S next to fit my on-the-go needs, wouldn't mind to lose a bit of details for a more upbeat sound.

Look beyond KZ if you are looking to upgrade! They have a lot of models, with not a lot of variations in sound signature. CRN and CRA were two of their better releases last year. CCA CA16 is smooth, warm and bassy, but at $60, there are better choices.

Models like Tripowin Mele, CVJ Mirror and BLON BL-03 all have an elevated bass. All about $50. BL-03 needs new tips (Spinfit CP100) and a new cable (either 0.78 2pin or TFZ).

Tipsy TTROMSO is more expensive at about $90, but if you want bass, they are fantastic! :L3000:

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #59,215 of 63,899
Look beyond KZ if you are looking to upgrade! They have a lot of models, with not a lot of variations in sound signature. CRN and CRA were two of their better releases last year. CCA CA16 is smooth, warm and bassy, but at $60, there are better choices.

Models like Tripowin Mele, CVJ Mirror and BLON BL-03 all have an elevated bass. All about $50. BL-03 needs new tips (Spinfit CP100) and a new cable (either 0.78 2pin or TFZ).

Tipsy TTROMSO is more expensive at about $90, but if you want bass, they are fantastic! :L3000:
Thanks for this. Just starting out with entry-levels for daily use and yes, looking at other ones as I also liked the Ikko OH2 that was gifted to me especially the looks.
IEM.jpg

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #59,216 of 63,899
First post! Just got my first proper IEM with the CRN and CCA CRA as well as a gifted Ikko OH2. Liking them so far though I do have to say a bit lacking in bass. Looking to try the DQ6S next to fit my on-the-go needs, wouldn't mind to lose a bit of details for a more upbeat sound.
welcome to the rabbit hole

Apr 26, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #59,217 of 63,899
Also, try the large set of tips if they are still in the bag in case you are losing some bass due to bad fit.

Apr 27, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #59,218 of 63,899
Thanks for this. Just starting out with entry-levels for daily use and yes, looking at other ones as I also liked the Ikko OH2 that was gifted to me especially the looks. IEM.jpg
Welcome to this fun hobby. I’ve got to agree with @paulwasabii, make that you got a very good fit, low frequencies get lost if fit is not great. The CRN is very friendly to EQ, so if you can, play around with that.

Apr 27, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #59,220 of 63,899
I have discovered a nice bit of synergy. Xduoo X20 > KBEAR Limpid Pro cable > AST. Beautifully balanced sound with improved soundstage. Smooth extended treble and nice resolved mids. Worth trying it if you have that combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back