Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 17, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #58,877 of 63,885
Has anyone else's KZ IEMs developed imbalance issues?

My CRA left side are now at about 25% volume compared to the right. I'm super pissed as I had this recently with my ZAX. I know the CRA is a fraction the cost of the ZAX but they only lasted a couple months!

I've got a bunch of KZs and I love them, especially for their price/performance, but these quality issues along with the whole driver fiasco... I'm losing faith ya know? What's a chi-fi brand that is actually delivering honest quality? Moondrop?

Among KZ/CCA I still have listen to regularly: CRA, NRA, ZEX Pro, BA10, C12, and the ZAX, which my wife uses mostly. I have zero balance issues with any of them despite regular use. Is there a chance that your source might have an issue? the 2 minor issues I've had are:

ZEX Pro: the metal shell cover did pop off of the ZEX Pro on one side and I lightly glued it back into place.
NRA: has a loose connector on the left channel. I keep meaning to put a drop of super glue in there to lock it down but it hasn't been a problem.

I've been listening to my NRA all day today off the PowerDAC, actually - and using the stock cable at that. I still love these things and they keep up with some of the most challenging metal albums I own.

This album has some of the densest mids I've ever heard but the NRA keeps enough detail and separation in there to pick rhythm guitar parts from the drums, vocals, and bass and provides some space for the lead guitar bits to float thru as they come. There is still an amazing amount of clarity in these IEM to my ears.

This track rocked so hard that drummer Brann Dailor has his own signature "ghost" cymbal made for him from MEINL. Check it out here:

edit: man those fills are still SICK

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #58,878 of 63,885

My CRA left side are now at about 25% volume compared to the right. I'm super pissed as I had this recently with my ZAX. I know the CRA is a fraction the cost of the ZAX but they only lasted a couple months!

I've got a bunch of KZs and I love them, especially for their price/performance, but these quality issues along with the whole driver fiasco... I'm losing faith ya know? What's a chi-fi brand that is actually delivering honest quality? Moondrop?
Actually most of them do. I have KBEar, Tri Audio, Fiio, ThieAudio, See Audio, Yincrow and Tin Hifi and all have no problems so far. I hear good things about Moondrop also. I don't have any Dunu iems but have a bunch of their cables and quality wise, they are great!

Mar 17, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #58,879 of 63,885
Among KZ/CCA I still have listen to regularly: CRA, NRA, ZEX Pro, BA10, C12, and the ZAX, which my wife uses mostly. I have zero balance issues with any of them despite regular use. Is there a chance that your source might have an issue? the 2 minor issues I've had are:

ZEX Pro: the metal shell cover did pop off of the ZEX Pro on one side and I lightly glued it back into place.
NRA: has a loose connector on the left channel. I keep meaning to put a drop of super glue in there to lock it down but it hasn't been a problem.

I've been listening to my NRA all day today off the PowerDAC, actually - and using the stock cable at that. I still love these things and they keep up with some of the most challenging metal albums I own.

This album has some of the densest mids I've ever heard but the NRA keeps enough detail and separation in there to pick rhythm guitar parts from the drums, vocals, and bass and provides some space for the lead guitar bits to float thru as they come. There is still an amazing amount of clarity in these IEM to my ears.

This track rocked so hard that drummer Brann Dailor has his own signature "ghost" cymbal made for him from MEINL. Check it out here:

edit: man those fills are still SICK

Yes, +1 for the NRA.

Mar 17, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #58,880 of 63,885
Mar 17, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #58,881 of 63,885

I’ve been lucky enough that nothing has ever happened with mine. I listen to the DEX Pro, CRA, CRN, ZS10 Pro, ZSN Pro (heavily used by my son), C12, currently also driving the NRA from a friend. Also has has stuff from QKZ, TRN and KBear. No problems on all of them.

Mar 17, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #58,882 of 63,885

My CRA also have this issue. In my set, I've done removing the filter on the nozzles and replace with spare filter. I don't know why, my other IEM also have this kind of problem. Condensation thing i guess.

Mar 17, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #58,883 of 63,885
Mar 17, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #58,884 of 63,885
I am facing this weird issue with my AZ09 Pro where they automatically get shutdown and disconnected after 1.5-2 hrs. They restart again but somehow don't get connected automatically. Is anyone else facing this issue? I feel it's due to poor battery and maybe poor connectivity as well. Appreciate it if anyone can help here. Thanks.

Mar 17, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #58,885 of 63,885
You may find my review of the AST here:
https://audiosolace.com/kz-ast-review/
I'm not so sure about this statement anymore, " To get twelve BA drivers to work in harmony successfully is quite an achievement....", but I really like the AST's.
With all of the KZ contoversy lately I put my KZ earphones in expecting to find fault with them, but they still sound good to me. I'm not sure if the AST or ASX is my favorite....could happily use either one every day and be just fine.

Mar 18, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #58,886 of 63,885
Oh, this is quite a classic media disaster for KZ. Been following this elsewhere and here. I wonder if KZ realise how much of a problem this is? :grimacing:

I complained about the terrible QC on my ASX's. Got no love from the Xpress store owner or the dispute even tho the connector was so wobbly. Went in and found they overtightened and stripped the little torx screws. Its about my 5th 7th pair of KZ and I do appreciate the detailed bass of the ASX, I cannot lie. The detail overall is incredible. Regardless, since my second pair of ZS7s died and I read about how the BA10 was it's sibling in terms of sound signature with even better resolving bass I got a bit jelly when several poster's said they picked up pairs for $20 or so on closeout.

The wonderful user Nimweth posted this about the AS12. Well, wasnt too familiar with the AS12s but it seems it's got a similar following to the BA10. I dont know what I paid in USA dollares but I think it was about $25. Crossing fingers it doesn't have a shrill treble and :pray: it has that lovely detail and detailed bass.

Mar 18, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #58,887 of 63,885

Me the same, I just find out my CRA right side 50% lower volume than the left. After 3 months burn in , the CRA kept working very well once. Then, I left it for a week not listening and it fails all of a sudden today. I have DQ6, ZAS, they are all working very well. CRA's tuning is so good, I even choose it over DQ6, ZAS, that makes me so much disappointed ! I agree there are must be quality issues for CRA.

cra.jpg

Mar 18, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #58,888 of 63,885
I think its because of condensation on the nozzle filter. Or blocked filter. Old same problem with this kind of filter, mesh, paper, nylon filters. Just mod em and open the true potential of CRA

Mar 18, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #58,889 of 63,885
Me the same, I just find out my CRA right side 50% lower volume than the left. After 3 months burn in , the CRA kept working very well once. Then, I left it for a week not listening and it fails all of a sudden today. I have DQ6, ZAS, they are all working very well. CRA's tuning is so good, I even choose it over DQ6, ZAS, that makes me so much disappointed ! I agree there are must be quality issues for CRA.

cra.jpg
My Blon BL-03s came with what I think, is a 5 percent imbalance. It's probably the filters but I just use Poweramp to tweak the left and right channels and call it a day. I have to concentrate quite hard to notice it however. Hasn't happened to any other iem I own.

Mar 18, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #58,890 of 63,885
I think its because of condensation on the nozzle filter. Or blocked filter. Old same problem with this kind of filter, mesh, paper, nylon filters. Just mod em and open the true potential of CRA

OMG ! It really works, never thought about that, thank you so much ! I was thinking to throw it away, its fine now.

Screenshot_20220318-151540.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back