Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 12, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #58,831 of 63,897
I'm thinking about ordering a couple of pairs more of the ZAX. IMO this was more interesting as a multi-BA IEM since it used several different model drivers in the configuration compared to ZAS or the AST/ASX series. On a balanced cable and amp the ZAX is the closest I have to something that sounds "holographic".

I checked AliExpress earlier this morning with the AST in mind, but saw that it's selling for about $160 in USD (147 euro) to get it shipped to me here in France. I've got to draw a line somewhere, and this is it: that's just more than I'm willing to pay for a pair of KZ phones. A big part of me wants to experience these for myself but I don't have a headphone problem that these really solve for. I can get a backup pair of SRH840s as they're on sale now for 99 euro, and none of the IEM I've had sound as good as those do under decades long experience with configuring PEQ to my own ears. Most of these don't sound as good as my 32 euro AKG k52. A big problem for IEM for me is that taking them in and out is a real PITA since I work from home and also spend a considerable amount of time on zoom calls. Between biobreaks, coffee runs, meals, and the honey-do list it's just tiring. I can slap my Shure's on my noggin' in a flash and they're comfortable to wear all day, every day. The IEM form factor is a lot more convenient for being on the go but the reality is that I'm stuck mostly behind my desk, which really diminishes my desire for investing too much into them.

Please don't turn your love into a religion, there are many great audio brands out there.

Hear, hear. the Heart Mirror on the E1DA's "vinyl" preset is also a near perfect IEM when run direct on a balanced cable. I have to admit that I grab for the GK10s at least once on a daily basis. The piezo treble doesn't hurt my tinnitus, the mids are very detailed and the bass is thicc for the discerning listener who knows what they want and isn't afraid to adjust 2 or 3 sliders on the EQ. They're also easy to fall asleep with since the shells are pretty small.

Final Audio A4000, Tanchjim Oxygen, BQEYZ Spring 2, Moondrop's KATO, and KBEAR Aurora have all been on my watch list but I haven't pulled the trigger on any of them. I reviewed a pair of TRI Meteors and thought they were great, but somewhat forgettable given how many other IEM have effectively the same sound quality at around the same price. They're very good, at a good price. ChiFi is so competitive that people are looking for perfect for peanuts, so they get looked over which is kind of a shame. The BA definitely works in those and the beryllium thing does put out some nice bass. They're also cheaper than most of the rest of their catalog, and knowing my own ears, I think I'd find the premium single DDs a bit boring. The Heart Mirror is enough.

To repeat what @baskingshark has already said, mid-fi is the HiFi summit. That magical line around 300 is about as good as it gets, with prices going exponentially higher for fractionally better sound quality. This is true for most things in life. A 10 million dollar house sitting empty doesn't look nor feel any more impressive than an $800,000 house with nice furnishings and nicely executed landscaping. Focus on the appliances and the furniture: by that I mean cables, amps, tips, and options.

Love KSC75, but the damn earhooks hurt my ears after awhile.

There was a time period where I was psyched about wearing these while cycling to work since there wasn't a headband to interfere with my helmet. Unfortunately the ear hooks just never stayed put while being active and I ended up reverting back to the old skool cheapo Senny or Sony buds depending on how long they the wires lasted before getting chewed up with daily use. That was a long time ago, though. I'm way too fat for cycling, now. LOL

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #58,832 of 63,897
I'm thinking about ordering a couple of pairs more of the ZAX. IMO this was more interesting as a multi-BA IEM since it used several different model drivers in the configuration compared to ZAS or the AST/ASX series. On a balanced cable and amp the ZAX is the closest I have to something that sounds "holographic".

I checked AliExpress earlier this morning with the AST in mind, but saw that it's selling for about $160 in USD (147 euro) to get it shipped to me here in France. I've got to draw a line somewhere, and this is it: that's just more than I'm willing to pay for a pair of KZ phones. A big part of me wants to experience these for myself but I don't have a headphone problem that these really solve for. I can get a backup pair of SRH840s as they're on sale now for 99 euro, and none of the IEM I've had sound as good as those do under decades long experience with configuring PEQ to my own ears. Most of these don't sound as good as my 32 euro AKG k52. A big problem for IEM for me is that taking them in and out is a real PITA since I work from home and also spend a considerable amount of time on zoom calls. Between biobreaks, coffee runs, meals, and the honey-do list it's just tiring. I can slap my Shure's on my noggin' in a flash and they're comfortable to wear all day, every day. The IEM form factor is a lot more convenient for being on the go but the reality is that I'm stuck mostly behind my desk, which really diminishes my desire for investing too much into them.

Hear, hear. the Heart Mirror on the E1DA's "vinyl" preset is also a near perfect IEM when run direct on a balanced cable. I have to admit that I grab for the GK10s at least once on a daily basis. The piezo treble doesn't hurt my tinnitus, the mids are very detailed and the bass is thicc for the discerning listener who knows what they want and isn't afraid to adjust 2 or 3 sliders on the EQ. They're also easy to fall asleep with since the shells are pretty small.

Final Audio A4000, Tanchjim Oxygen, BQEYZ Spring 2, Moondrop's KATO, and KBEAR Aurora have all been on my watch list but I haven't pulled the trigger on any of them. I reviewed a pair of TRI Meteors and thought they were great, but somewhat forgettable given how many other IEM have effectively the same sound quality at around the same price. They're very good, at a good price. ChiFi is so competitive that people are looking for perfect for peanuts, so they get looked over which is kind of a shame. The BA definitely works in those and the beryllium thing does put out some nice bass. They're also cheaper than most of the rest of their catalog, and knowing my own ears, I think I'd find the premium single DDs a bit boring. The Heart Mirror is enough.

To repeat what @baskingshark has already said, mid-fi is the HiFi summit. That magical line around 300 is about as good as it gets, with prices going exponentially higher for fractionally better sound quality. This is true for most things in life. A 10 million dollar house sitting empty doesn't look nor feel any more impressive than an $800,000 house with nice furnishings and nicely executed landscaping. Focus on the appliances and the furniture: by that I mean cables, amps, tips, and options.

There was a time period where I was psyched about wearing these while cycling to work since there wasn't a headband to interfere with my helmet. Unfortunately the ear hooks just never stayed put while being active and I ended up reverting back to the old skool cheapo Senny or Sony buds depending on how long they the wires lasted before getting chewed up with daily use. That was a long time ago, though. I'm way too fat for cycling, now. LOL
ZAX with the bass BAs from ASX or AST would be a dream, but then as a "conspiracy theory" goes KZ can't murder all ChiFi, hence only "almost perfect" IEMs.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #58,834 of 63,897
ZAX with the bass BAs from ASX or AST would be a dream, but then as a "conspiracy theory" goes KZ can't murder all ChiFi, hence only "almost perfect" IEMs.

Didn't you 'n me invent that theory? .... 😂 haha

Mar 12, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #58,835 of 63,897
For me the ZAX is one of the best iem for the quality/price ratio.
I ordered the ZES because I'm very curious about the 12mm DD.
Let's see how it performs compared to the ZAX.
In my opinion the DQS6 HBB are not better than the ZAX.

Yeh no way that dq6 or any variant is as good as the ZAX. It's big drawback is a rather abrupt pinna gain and bottom end that seems a bit loose relative to updated 10mm units from KZ. If they put the NRA unit into the zax it would be amazing. A XUN unit would also be an impressive upgrade I think for the ZAX and super easy to release as a v2.0

Mar 12, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #58,836 of 63,897
The AST would be perfect if we could increase the treble without EQ. A simple mod. Maybe a certain tip that increases treble?
Moondrop's marketing says their spring tips are a treble adapting* design. I have not tried them though. They are expensive tips that can wait for a sale.

Then, besides EQ, the easier way to boost treble is through source. BAs are very sensitive, so a bright source should benefit AST.

By the way, I think source and EQ combined are the ultimate sound sweet spot. Poweramp and Peace both offer friendly and intuitive UI that is easy to change between saved presets.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #58,837 of 63,897

You can get the CCA CKX instead of the ZAX which is more refined and removed the Spring 2 from your watchlist and replace it with the Autumn.

Mar 12, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #58,838 of 63,897
Moondrop's marketing says their spring tips are a treble boosting design. I have not tried them though. They are expensive tips that can wait for a sale.

Then, besides EQ, the easier way to boost treble is through source. BAs are very sensitive, so a bright source should benefit AST.

By the way, I think source and EQ combined are the ultimate sound sweet spot. Poweramp and Peace both offer friendly and intuitive UI that is easy to change between saved presets.
Really? I thought the Springtips are for removing unwanted treble and they sre quite cheap here. I am using CP100+ to boost the trebel a bit. Also I am using it with Shanling M8 which is rather warm and I believe the AST meeds a more resolving source since it sounds terrible with the M11 Pro which is a bright source.

Mar 12, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #58,839 of 63,897
Really? I thought the Springtips are for removing unwanted treble and they sre quite cheap here. I am using CP100+ to boost the trebel a bit. Also I am using it with Shanling M8 which is rather warm and I believe the AST meeds a more resolving source since it sounds terrible with the M11 Pro which is a bright source.
My mistake indeed, sorry for misinformation about the tips. Any tips costing more than $5 is expensive, IMO (for stuff that are cents to manufacture).

And I agree, source matching can be difficult (and expensive). EQ is way more rational for controlling the result with basically no or very low cost to acquire the software.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #58,841 of 63,897
I have the CKX too, which sounds sonically good! So, since you have the ZAX how is the overall signature and is it still worth getting? Or are they just a side-grade to the CKX?

-Clear
They are pretty much the same just the CKX is more refined without the treble spikes so it is not worth getting the ZAX if you already have the CKX.

Mar 13, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #58,842 of 63,897
Moondrop's marketing says their spring tips are a treble adapting* design. I have not tried them though. They are expensive tips that can wait for a sale.

I just got the spring tips and imo they tighten the midbass ever so slightly and they refine the treble. I read that they roll of the upper treble but on my iems they clean the upper treble while not affecting the extension, if anything it makes it sound airier due the improved refinement.

Mar 13, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #58,843 of 63,897
I found the Xduoo X20 perfect with the AST, along with a Faaeal Hibiscus copper cable and KBEAR wide bore tips.

Mar 13, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #58,845 of 63,897
They are pretty much the same just the CKX is more refined without the treble spikes so it is not worth getting the ZAX if you already have the CKX.
I agree, the CKX is more balanced with cleaner treble and also has better bass. The best CCA I have heard so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back