Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 12, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #58,816 of 64,402
I'm glad to see so much love for KZ in here. I haven't seen that kind emotion ever since Sony took over North America.

Please don't turn your love into a religion, there are many great audio brands out there.

Make it a religion if you want, but you're the one ultimately missing out on audio companies from around the world.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #58,817 of 64,402
All you did was buy the most hyped over the longest period headphone and earphone. That was a smart choice.

What's your next hyped long term history buy?
https://www.amazon.com/ELAC-4-Passive-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B08W9B2DBL

More interested in trying to set up a home theater on a budget than more headgear currently since for watching videos together as a family... All we literally have is the stock TV audio. So we bought these for $68 somehow

Eventually I wanna get my hands on https://stereointegrity.com/product/ht-18-v3/ once I save up enough for it.

Edit: Then I wanna buy a pair of https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-woofers/scanspeak-22w/4534g-discovery-8-woofer-4-ohm/ carve a floorstanding cabinet and load https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...tbfc/g-h1212-aluminum/magnesium-dome-tweeter/ in a horn as soon as I figure out how horns work.

Probably a minidsp 2x4 since I can't be bothered to time align drivers passively.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #58,818 of 64,402
I love the sound of my AST. I started out years ago trying the ATE and loved it for its price. Upgraded to the Zs6 which I felt sounded even better. Though I did find it a little hot sounding. My next upgrade was the ZS10 Pro which I loved and they served me well for several years. handed the ZS6 to my son who preferred them over the Zs10 Pros. Late last year thought I would try the ZEX Pro, and was disappointed that it didn’t sound to my ears as good as the Zs10 pros I had now given to one of my sons. It sounded too harsh and dry to me, I like a warm sound.

So I bought the Zs10 Pro again, which I loved. However I had my 66th birthday coming and treated myself to the ASTs.

I use a Shanling UA2 dongle on my Mi 11 Ultra, to listen to music. I love it, the soundstage of it never ceases to amaze me, and this combination has enough warmth and details to satisfy me. Since I have bought the ASTs, I haven’t listened to music as much in close to ten years or so. They have reawakened my love of music, which can’t be a bad thing. I still like the sound of the Zs10 pros, but my wife has them now and enjoys them daily.

By the way, the ZEX Pros are now relegated to sitting alone, unused and unloved.
I agree, I am enjoying classical music more now with the AST than with many other IEMs. My favourite before was the Starsea but I really like the way the AST reproduces strings, piano and woodwind. The timbre is very good.

Mar 12, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #58,819 of 64,402
I agree, I am enjoying classical music more now with the AST than with many other IEMs. My favourite before was the Starsea but I really like the way the AST reproduces strings, piano and woodwind. The timbre is very good.
Try listen to some bass guitar tracks. The reproduction of the bass guitar amp speaker hard hitting the amp enclosure and the floor is super realistic.

Mar 12, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #58,820 of 64,402
Checkout my review on KZ ZES:
20220312_161551.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-kz-zes.25710/reviews

Mar 12, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #58,821 of 64,402
Guess I'm gonna piss off all of Head-fi by saying since my introduction here almost 2 years ago, I still only own a single pair of IEM and a single headphone... The BLON BL-03 and the Koss KSC75 respectively. For outdoor and indoor use respectively.
I ordered a BLON-03 but it somehow they never got mailed, and they promptly refunded me (so no problem).

For years and years I have had several pair of KSC75 that I have put in various DIY over the head bands. And I must say, they are extremely good. If you refuse to be manipulated by hype, the KSC75 might be the absolute best there ever was, and still is, for value vs performance.

I have had people who tried them, make excuses as to why they sound so good. "Must be your DAP" or "Must be your Amp" they refuse to believe their ears (because they do not cost nearly as much as they spent for much crummier sound).

Mar 12, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #58,822 of 64,402
Try listen to some bass guitar tracks. The reproduction of the bass guitar amp speaker hard hitting the amp enclosure and the floor is super realistic.
Midcentric genres shine through AST. I remember @PhonoPhi like them a lot too

Mar 12, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #58,823 of 64,402
For years and years I have had several pair of KSC75 that I have put in various DIY over the head bands. And I must say, they are extremely good. If you refuse to be manipulated by hype, the KSC75 might be the absolute best there ever was, and still is, for value vs performance.
I paid $10USD for my KSC75 when my local shop was clearing out the Koss brand.

Damn, I wish I bought 10 pairs instead of 3. :wink:

Mar 12, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #58,824 of 64,402
I paid $10USD for my KSC75 when my local shop was clearing out the Koss brand.

Damn, I wish I bought 10 pairs instead of 3. :wink:
KSC75 are very bright. I bought it based on the hype.

KSC75 FR The +6dB rise from 1.2kHz to 3kHz above target is very harsh to me and I fix it with a PEQ whenever I use it though I end up using my Philips SHP9500 most of the time.

Mar 12, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #58,825 of 64,402
Midcentric genres shine through AST. I remember @PhonoPhi like them a lot too
I do very much like AST, just wish for a bit more treble.
AST totally replaced TRI I3 for me for smooth and resolving.
AST, ASX (wide nozzles) and AS16 are my absolute complementary favourites, and I have few other IEMs that I thought to test other than KZ and I liked KZ much more.

I understand that "unbiased" reviewers should push new IEMs with perenial praises like "the best I"ve heard so far" (note how universally applicable this phrasing is :)).
I just stick with KZ not believing for a second that DQ6 is a "single driver", if it were the case, it is a really amazing DD (and I am by no means a DD lover).

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #58,826 of 64,402
I ordered a BLON-03 but it somehow they never got mailed, and they promptly refunded me (so no problem).

I have had people who tried them, make excuses as to why they sound so good. "Must be your DAP" or "Must be your Amp" they refuse to believe their ears (because they do not cost nearly as much as they spent for much crummier sound).

Love KSC75, but the damn earhooks hurt my ears after awhile.

Mar 12, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #58,827 of 64,402
KSC75 are very bright. I bought it based on the hype.

KSC75 FR The +6dB rise from 1.2kHz to 3kHz above target is very harsh to me and I fix it with a PEQ whenever I use it though I end up using my Philips SHP9500 most of the time.
How do you go about researching which parts of an audio spectrum are negative (to you) like that? That's pretty hardcore.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #58,828 of 64,402
Love KSC75, but the damn earhooks hurt my ears after awhile.
That's why we are lucky to have many options. KSC35 earhooks, Sportapro/Portapro headband, Parts Express headband, Chinese Healthcare headband, AIAIAI Tracks headband...

I hope you didn't think you only had one choice.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #58,829 of 64,402
That's why we are lucky to have many options. KSC35 earhooks, Sportapro/Portapro headband, Parts Express headband, Chinese Healthcare headband, AIAIAI Tracks headband...

I hope you didn't think you only had one choice.
Well, I have move on to solely using IEM.

Mar 12, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #58,830 of 64,402
How do you go about researching which parts of an audio spectrum are negative (to you) like that? That's pretty hardcore.
Well, I found it honky at first listen which was confirmed by the FR.
I can easily spot too much energy around 200 Hz, 1-3kHz and 6kHz. Most people can be trained to spot these things easily. Spotting higher frequencies or peaks in narrow ranges requires a lot of training & golden ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back