Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 11, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #58,786 of 64,102
Well, i never bought expensive kz ($50~120+) as to me, there are many better option from "upper budget" brand in that territory. so i can't speak on those things.
For sub $40? eh, good sound is good sound (they need to fix the QC and misleading design for future products tough)

QC issues, crap design, and barely functional (or even non functional) driver is crap thing to have.
however, i rarely bought kz/iem because of the driver count or driver type. (learnt my lesson from s*nfer D*6 pro)
I bought KZ/iem mostly based on, audition result (tough its difficult now), several youtuber reviewer that i follow and the response in head-fi.
I have rather tin can ears, so i tend rely on my more experienced friends and chosen reviewers ears as i learn on whats what.

And so far its pretty damn interesting. ZS5, ZST, ZSN, CST, DQ6, ZEX Pro, and CRA is still pretty damn good.
Some that i bought before pandemic which i could audition it against its peer, from TRN, soundmagic, and the like and it still stands tall.

KZ need to sort this crap out and remember, its the sound-quality/value that draw people in.
And people actually bitch when they start to do more expensive 10+ driver that didn't quite stands against the upper budget peers.
I trust their QC actually, more than most budget Chi-Fi.

Still, the driver dampening is a double edge strategy.... It works, but as consumers we don't get the actual hardware capability.

At least its just budget, not hundreds or thousands of dollars. Disassemble IEMs, actually, should happen in all price ranges, additional to SQ analysis. That is the whole hobby lesson. For KZ, I don't know what will happen next, maybe they overcome all that, but hyping like before... Not so easily anymore

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #58,787 of 64,102
I trust their QC actually, more than most budget Chi-Fi.

Still, the driver dampening is a double edge strategy.... It works, but as consumers we don't get the actual hardware capability.

At least its just budget, not hundreds or thousands of dollars. Disassemble IEMs, actually, should happen in all price ranges, additional to SQ analysis. That is the whole hobby lesson. For KZ, I don't know what will happen next, maybe they overcome all that, but hyping like before... Not so easily anymore
Yeah, so far personally, i don't meet much QC problem with KZ.
It's just current report with gluing and it seems problem with the new winged shell, i have to mention it.

KZ is interesting thing that i tried to follow, kinda lost track of it when it release new iem every other week, lost quite much of the exitement when their strategy goes "Moar Driver~!" with similar sound sig, but i still follow it and their cheap iems products still slaps.
Not to mention recent collabs with new sound sig, attempt on minimalist new drivers with the new sound sig direction, get me really interested with KZ again. Then this crap happen.

Yeah, i hope they find a way out of this. be good KZ
I mean, i won't be here if it weren't for KZ who introduce me to Chi-fi.
And that jaben guy who kindly points out to the local chifi store since most of their product is outside my budget.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #58,788 of 64,102
If this QC issues make the brand reconsider the process and developing of the new iems coming... (Think about the CRA) maybe they start to shine even more.

I can enumerate various mid-fi (sub300) which make worst equipment for more money than KZ

Mar 11, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #58,789 of 64,102
If this QC issues make the brand reconsider the process and developing of the new iems coming... (Think about the CRA) maybe they start to shine even more. I can enumerate various mid-fi (sub300) which make worst equipment for more money than KZ
If this QC issues make the brand reconsider the process and developing of the new iems coming... (Think about the CRA) maybe they start to shine even more. I can enumerate various mid-fi (sub300) which make worst equipment for more money than KZ
Yeah, so far personally, i don't meet much QC problem with KZ. It's just current report with gluing and it seems problem with the new winged shell, i have to mention it. KZ is interesting thing that i tried to follow, kinda lost track of it when it release new iem every other week, lost quite much of the exitement when their strategy goes "Moar Driver~!" with similar sound sig, but i still follow it and their cheap iems products still slaps. Not to mention recent collabs with new sound sig, attempt on minimalist new drivers with the new sound sig direction, get me really interested with KZ again. Then this crap happen. Yeah, i hope they find a way out of this. be good KZ I mean, i won't be here if it weren't for KZ who introduce me to Chi-fi. And that jaben guy who kindly points out to the local chifi store since most of their product is outside my budget.
Yeah, so far personally, i don't meet much QC problem with KZ. It's just current report with gluing and it seems problem with the new winged shell, i have to mention it. KZ is interesting thing that i tried to follow, kinda lost track of it when it release new iem every other week, lost quite much of the exitement when their strategy goes "Moar Driver~!" with similar sound sig, but i still follow it and their cheap iems products still slaps. Not to mention recent collabs with new sound sig, attempt on minimalist new drivers with the new sound sig direction, get me really interested with KZ again. Then this crap happen. Yeah, i hope they find a way out of this. be good KZ I mean, i won't be here if it weren't for KZ who introduce me to Chi-fi. And that jaben guy who kindly points out to the local chifi store since most of their product is outside my budget.

Mar 11, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #58,791 of 64,102
I can actually prove that the BAs in my KZ AST work. When using EQ you can hear coherency issues and crossover across the entire frequency range.
What do you mean, "When using EQ you can hear coherency issues and crossover across the entire frequency range."?
I'd like to hear that for myself.....do you have a good example?
I'm not sure what a coherency or crossover issue would sound like.

Mar 11, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #58,793 of 64,102
We need to find a way to increase the treble on a KZ AST and decrease the bass. The AST is basically KZ endgame if it were tuned right.
I would rather recommend in the €120+ category to look for IEM that sounds adequate for their price. As a KZ AST owner, I find their sound to be a big muddy mess.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #58,794 of 64,102
I would rather recommend in the €120+ category to look for IEM that sound adequate for their price. As a KZ AST owner, I find their sound to be a big muddy mess.
If that happens, let me try to fix it.
Im not a eartip brand believer, but try this foams/silicone tips

€ 13,57 | misodiko Mix460 Earbuds Ear Tips Eartips for Jaybird X4 X3 X2, BlueBuds X, Freedom 2, F5/ 1MORE/ Sony MDR XB55AP XB75AP EX650AP
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vYeeSv

Mar 11, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #58,796 of 64,102
What do you mean, "When using EQ you can hear coherency issues and crossover across the entire frequency range."?
I'd like to hear that for myself.....do you have a good example?
I'm not sure what a coherency or crossover issue would sound like.
This is the EQ I use for my AST:

* 40Hz -3.5dB Q1.50
* 1900Hz -4.0dB Q1.10
* 3400Hz 6.0dB Q1.70
* 5200Hz -8.0dB Q2.00
* 7500Hz +3.0dB Q1.50
* 11000Hz +3.0dB Q1.50

If you play around with the dB levels you can audible notice that the frequency range of the BAs overlap.

Mar 11, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #58,797 of 64,102
I love the sound of my AST. I started out years ago trying the ATE and loved it for its price. Upgraded to the Zs6 which I felt sounded even better. Though I did find it a little hot sounding. My next upgrade was the ZS10 Pro which I loved and they served me well for several years. handed the ZS6 to my son who preferred them over the Zs10 Pros. Late last year thought I would try the ZEX Pro, and was disappointed that it didn’t sound to my ears as good as the Zs10 pros I had now given to one of my sons. It sounded too harsh and dry to me, I like a warm sound.

So I bought the Zs10 Pro again, which I loved. However I had my 66th birthday coming and treated myself to the ASTs.

I use a Shanling UA2 dongle on my Mi 11 Ultra, to listen to music. I love it, the soundstage of it never ceases to amaze me, and this combination has enough warmth and details to satisfy me. Since I have bought the ASTs, I haven’t listened to music as much in close to ten years or so. They have reawakened my love of music, which can’t be a bad thing. I still like the sound of the Zs10 pros, but my wife has them now and enjoys them daily.

By the way, the ZEX Pros are now relegated to sitting alone, unused and unloved.

Mar 11, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #58,798 of 64,102
are now relegated to sitting alone, unused and unloved

Sadly, that is soon to be fate of all my pokemons. Except for one. I'll keep the AS10 and use it as if none of this depressing episode had ever happened.

Mar 11, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #58,799 of 64,102
I love the sound of my AST. I started out years ago trying the ATE and loved it for its price. Upgraded to the Zs6 which I felt sounded even better. Though I did find it a little hot sounding. My next upgrade was the ZS10 Pro which I loved and they served me well for several years. handed the ZS6 to my son who preferred them over the Zs10 Pros. Late last year thought I would try the ZEX Pro, and was disappointed that it didn’t sound to my ears as good as the Zs10 pros I had now given to one of my sons. It sounded too harsh and dry to me, I like a warm sound.

So I bought the Zs10 Pro again, which I loved. However I had my 66th birthday coming and treated myself to the ASTs.

I use a Shanling UA2 dongle on my Mi 11 Ultra, to listen to music. I love it, the soundstage of it never ceases to amaze me, and this combination has enough warmth and details to satisfy me. Since I have bought the ASTs, I haven’t listened to music as much in close to ten years or so. They have reawakened my love of music, which can’t be a bad thing. I still like the sound of the Zs10 pros, but my wife has them now and enjoys them daily.

By the way, the ZEX Pros are now relegated to sitting alone, unused and unloved.
I really like the AST's too.
I may like the ASX a little better...has a little more punch, but I could listen to either one every day and be fine with both.
I'm not sure if they are good by audiophile standards...probably not, but I can't hear all of those things people point out when critiquing earphones.
I know if an earphone sounds muffled or tinny or bright or warm, but that's about it as far as my listening skills go.

Mar 11, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #58,800 of 64,102
I really like the AST. It is my favourite all BA IEM along with the BA10. This review sums up what I hear:
https://www.audiophileon.com/news/kz-ast-review
Far from there being too much bass, I find myself wishing for a little more. Treble and mids are excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back