Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 22, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #58,576 of 63,916
Sorry to hear that. The ZS10 Pro continues to prove a popular seller.
not like it was even coming from AliExpress or wherever - it was posted out from Dublin on Thursday (private seller on the other side of the country), and tomorrow is 6 days. may need to ask for a refund. I can probably just put that back into getting a different pair of in-ears ig?

Feb 23, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #58,577 of 63,916
I've been somewhat happy with my DQ6 with one problem: They seem so incredibly sensitive. Having them connected to my phone makes for a constant noise on low volume. On PC it seems worse. What can I do against this? Do KZ's like the terminator have the same problem?

Feb 23, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #58,578 of 63,916
I've been somewhat happy with my DQ6 with one problem: They seem so incredibly sensitive. Having them connected to my phone makes for a constant noise on low volume. On PC it seems worse. What can I do against this? Do KZ's like the terminator have the same problem?

The DQ6 has a reported sensitivity of 112dB/mW which is considered on the higher side, this can lead to hiss with sources with poor noise floor control.

There are a few ways about this:
1) Get a better source that has better noise floor. Even a cheap dongle like Tempotec Sonata HD Pro (~$20ish USD) can achieve this. PCs usually have not so good implementation of DACs so some will generate noise and hiss with sensitive IEMs.

2) Impedance adapter. This may skew the sound signature though.
There are more expensive adapters such as the IEMatch that don't mess with the sound signature, but they are pretty expensive and may cost more than the DQ6, so is that putting the cart before the horse?

3) In line volume control -> a few bucks from electronic shops. They can skew the sound signature too.

Feb 23, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #58,579 of 63,916
the eagle has (belatedly) landed! disappointed to see KZ still suck when it comes to accessories. Starline tips impossible to fit somehow so I put some JVC foams on them. impressions soon!
IMG_20220223_170434_hdr.jpg

Feb 23, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #58,580 of 63,916
God the DQ6 are good. The way it swirls music around you, effortlessly. I have used them non stop for the last week nearly. To think of the money I wasted on headphones before I discovered chi fi........

Very close call between DQ6 and the BA10 for the best kz I have heard. I have been A-Bing them with Frank Ocean's Nike's. The dq6 stage is larger. But the BA10 has more dynamism and really poised separation. Tough, tough call between them.

Feb 23, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #58,581 of 63,916
the eagle has (belatedly) landed! disappointed to see KZ still suck when it comes to accessories. Starline tips impossible to fit somehow so I put some JVC foams on them. impressions soon!IMG_20220223_170434_hdr.jpg
Yeah, the KZ eartips aren't great.
I was lukewarm towards the ZS10 Pro until I put Spinfits on them. That made them so easy to fit and get a seal every time I put them in.
That helped elevate them from "meh' to "wow, these are actually pretty good" for me. They became my go-to IEMs for when I want something to plug into my iPod or my phone just to enjoy a few albums.

Feb 23, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #58,582 of 63,916
Yeah, the KZ eartips aren't great.
I was lukewarm towards the ZS10 Pro until I put Spinfits on them. That made them so easy to fit and get a seal every time I put them in.
That helped elevate them from "meh' to "wow, these are actually pretty good" for me. They became my go-to IEMs for when I want something to plug into my iPod or my phone just to enjoy a few albums.
they have, in turn, been swapped out for JVC Spiral Dots, so I'm gonna put these through their paces tomorrow with the stock cable!

Feb 23, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #58,584 of 63,916
Feb 24, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #58,585 of 63,916
yeah I might just wait for a zes pro or zes pro x if one comes along because I already have the CRA too.

the CRA is kinda improving after extensive burning in and much smoother.

somehow I find myself going back to edx pro rather than zex pro because once I have heard the tonal flaw I seem to be looking for it in every song rather than just enjoying the song.

edx pro is just laid back if you do not listen to bassy songs or eq it.

Feb 24, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #58,586 of 63,916
they have, in turn, been swapped out for JVC Spiral Dots, so I'm gonna put these through their paces tomorrow with the stock cable!
Did yours come with the new type of cable?
My ZS10 Pro came with the old style cable that looks like an old rusty chain for a sink plug. I replaced it with an aftermarket cable.

Feb 24, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #58,587 of 63,916
Did yours come with the new type of cable?
My ZS10 Pro came with the old style cable that looks like an old rusty chain for a sink plug. I replaced it with an aftermarket cable.

came with the rusty sink plug looking cable and a bonus TRN T3 silver cable I haven't used yet!

Feb 25, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #58,588 of 63,916
Weird CRA sound and cables

To those noticing strange detailing on the CRA, switch out to the common brown KZ woven cable, such as from ES4. This evens out the apparent CRA response to me.

Strange thing is the CRA parallel copper cable brings both ES4 and ZS10 pro performance up considerably (I cut the sides off the pin hood to fit it on ES4).

Not looking for a cable war. Just note woven and parallel configurations trade lower capacitance for lower inductance values respectively at the same length. This is more significant than comparing small resistance values of cables. You wont see a much difference in frequency response plots. The change is likely in transient response that you hear.

Feb 25, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #58,589 of 63,916
Weird CRA sound and cables

To those noticing strange detailing on the CRA, switch out to the common brown KZ woven cable, such as from ES4. This evens out the apparent CRA response to me.

Strange thing is the CRA parallel copper cable brings both ES4 and ZS10 pro performance up considerably (I cut the sides off the pin hood to fit it on ES4).

Not looking for a cable war. Just note woven and parallel configurations trade lower capacitance for lower inductance values respectively at the same length. This is more significant than comparing small resistance values of cables. You wont see a much difference in frequency response plots. The change is likely in transient response that you hear.
Sorry to burst your bubble - the difference in capacitance and inductance should be perfectly measurable by frequency plots.
If the difference is not in the audible range (and let's extend it to 40-50 kHz for the sake of '"HiFi") - how would it matter?
No documentable difference - no effect.
Otherwise, it is everyone's game to claim that their snake oil is the most oily of all:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back