Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 27, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #58,594 of 63,930
but i think no iem can produce 96khz and even if any can, humans can't hear up to that frequency. correct me if I'm writing.
I think the 96kHz reference is about the sample rate of the recording and not the frequency response of the IEMs.

Feb 27, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #58,595 of 63,930
My initial reaction to the Crinacle KZ-ZEX Pro is much the same as with all IEM's fresh out of the box, Yikes!! :ksc75smile:

It took more than a full week of "burn-in" - I run several headphone amps fed from my Topping D90, and I clip up the wires on the new IEM and plug it in to one of the amps I'm not currently connected to myself, so as they listen to media 24/7, those new IEMs on Burn-in are listening to the same things I am listening to, breaking them in with my favorite sounds. I find that works better than a "noise" burn-in, IMHO.

And, now the Crinacle KZ ZEX Pro sounds great, and I am very happy to have it, thanks to Hifigo.com - I encouraged them to continue to carry inexpensive KZ IEMs as part of their inventory, and they've picked up the Crinacle Tunings, and I think that is awesome for them to show such support for low priced IEMs.

Kz X Crinacle Crn (Zex Pro) Hifi In-Ear Monitors
https://hifigo.com/products/kz-x-crinacle-crn?variant=42205619257583

Mine came wrapped with a Hifigo logo shrink wrap, IDK if they all come that way, but I thought that was a nice touch too.

The difference between out of the box sound and burned in sound is huge. Out of the box it was way too sharp, but now all that hyper detail is tamed into a sound I really enjoy.

I haven't heard the original IEM's out of the Crinacle tuning releases, but as for the KZ-ZEX Pro, I enjoy the end result - and it is awesome KZ keeps prices down so low!:)

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #58,596 of 63,930
My initial reaction to the Crinacle KZ-ZEX Pro is much the same as with all IEM's fresh out of the box, Yikes!! :ksc75smile:

It took more than a full week of "burn-in" - I run several headphone amps fed from my Topping D90, and I clip up the wires on the new IEM and plug it in to one of the amps I'm not currently connected to myself, so as I listen to media 24/7, those new IEMs on Burn-in are listening to the same things I am listening to, breaking them in with my favorite sounds. I find that works better than a "noise" burn-in, IMHO.

And, now the Crinacle KZ ZEX Pro sounds great, and I am very happy to have it, thanks to Hifigo.com - I encouraged them to continue to carry inexpensive KZ IEMs as part of their inventory, and they've picked up the Crinacle Tunings, and I think that is awesome for them to show such support for low priced IEMs.

Kz X Crinacle Crn (Zex Pro) Hifi In-Ear Monitors
https://hifigo.com/products/kz-x-crinacle-crn?variant=42205619257583

Mine came wrapped with a Hifigo logo shrink wrap, IDK if they all come that way, but I thought that was a nice touch too.

The difference between out of the box sound and burned in sound is huge. Out of the box it was way too sharp, but now all that hyper detail is tamed into a sound I really enjoy.

I haven't heard the original IEM's out of the Crinacle tuning releases, but as for the KZ-ZEX Pro, I enjoy the end result - and it is awesome how KZ keeps their prices down so low!:)
Have you tried EQ-ing it though?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FKqoOCWt82aDEAMH1BnFpybCsIk1uIlO?usp=sharing

P.S I recommend the Elysian or the IER Z1R EQ.

Feb 28, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #58,597 of 63,930
Have you tried EQ-ing it though?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FKqoOCWt82aDEAMH1BnFpybCsIk1uIlO?usp=sharing

P.S I recommend the Elysian or the IER Z1R EQ.
I've used APO EQ on Windows, but then I cannot use those settings on my FiiO M15, or on my other devices without similar EQ flexibllity.

I don't mind having headphones or IEM's that don't sound like others, or have "gaps" in the normal full frequency range support at equal dB, these differences lead to interesting headphone/IEM personalities and characteristics that I find makes switching headphones far more interesting than having all the same EQ'd frequency profile.

When I find a headphone/IEM I like - heard without EQ - I know I'll have the same reaction to that headphone/IEM with the same enjoyment on all of my compatible devices, it is like multiplying the enjoyable characteristics of all of my equipment, like having a library of different sounding music. :)

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #58,599 of 63,930
that makes more sense
Although the human ear cannot hear much beyond 20kHz, higher frequency tones do modulate lower frequencies. This produces harmonics which change the timbre of instruments. This is why Hi-Res audio has a range up to 40kHz. You may see the Hi-Res certification on the packaging of IEMs.
images.jpg

Feb 28, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #58,600 of 63,930
Although the human ear cannot hear much beyond 20kHz, higher frequency tones do modulate lower frequencies. This produces harmonics which change the timbre of instruments. This is why Hi-Res audio has a range up to 40kHz. You may see the Hi-Res certification on the packaging of IEMs.
images.jpg
Hi-Res audio makes my ear hairs twitch

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #58,601 of 63,930
Small status update: 2 pairs of my KZ are suffering. One missing side on my NRA after getting pulled off it's wire ... lost somewhere in the house. Possibly lost forever to the ... dog. The hunt for evidence continues.

And my beloved ZEX Pros - the metal cover on the left side popped off. Looks like it can be glued back in easily enough but I haven't listened to them in a long bit. CRA has become my daily driver and they keep getting better with eartime.

Meanwhile, I had a long fling with a pair of Tri Meteors and really enjoyed them. Review posted up on the showcase. Hope everyone has been well and keeping safe.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tri-meteor.25510/reviews

Mar 1, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #58,602 of 63,930
Small status update: 2 pairs of my KZ are suffering. One missing side on my NRA after getting pulled off it's wire ... lost somewhere in the house. Possibly lost forever to the ... dog. The hunt for evidence continues.

And my beloved ZEX Pros - the metal cover on the left side popped off. Looks like it can be glued back in easily enough but I haven't listened to them in a long bit. CRA has become my daily driver and they keep getting better with eartime.

Meanwhile, I had a long fling with a pair of Tri Meteors and really enjoyed them. Review posted up on the showcase. Hope everyone has been well and keeping safe.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tri-meteor.25510/reviews
yes i agree the CRA does improve with long term usage.
I can't seem to unhear the wrong sounding tone of the zex pro although it does sound technically better with some songs.

i have also compared DAC with mqa unfolding and dac without mqa unfolding - and I feel mqa is overrated.

Mar 1, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #58,603 of 63,930
images.jpg
For 96 kHz (or 96k samples per second)sampling the resolution of frequencies is 48 kHz. The reason for the recc for 96 kHz on sampling of an analog signal is this typically the max capability of typical consumer PCs is that 96 ksps if I am not mistaken. This will provide your best time resolution. Of course, adjust your gain on your acquisition to capture the signal reasonably within the highest amount resolution (volts/bit). From there you can compare different cables signal and compare against the digital source inputs time signature.

Years back at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, a British non-cable manufacturer (don't recall who, or year) had a presentation that did this process which showed differences between cables, amps, etc. The main problem for final utility of such a procedure is that your going to have to figure out which differences make the preferable sound. If your hearing is deficient, say below that of hearing impaired Zeos and DMS, such studies could be of academic interest to know what the others are hearing. This clip is not from that presentation.

capt1.jpg

Mar 1, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #58,604 of 63,930
For 96 kHz (or 96k samples per second)sampling the resolution of frequencies is 48 kHz. The reason for the recc for 96 kHz on sampling of an analog signal is this typically the max capability of typical consumer PCs is that 96 ksps if I am not mistaken. This will provide your best time resolution. Of course, adjust your gain on your acquisition to capture the signal reasonably within the highest amount resolution (volts/bit). From there you can compare different cables signal and compare against the digital source inputs time signature.

Years back at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, a British non-cable manufacturer (don't recall who, or year) had a presentation that did this process which showed differences between cables, amps, etc. The main problem for final utility of such a procedure is that your going to have to figure out which differences make the preferable sound. If your hearing is deficient, say below that of hearing impaired Zeos and DMS, such studies could be of academic interest to know what the others are hearing. This clip is not from that presentation.

capt1.jpg
USB cables either successfully transmit the bits or they do NOT. NOTHING in between that will affect the results...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back