Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 14, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #58,291 of 63,917
Jan 14, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #58,292 of 63,917
Jan 14, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #58,293 of 63,917
Jan 15, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #58,296 of 63,917
I looked over the review twice and still haven't seen how to mod it.
I definitely see what you should buy though
1642278580687.png

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #58,298 of 63,917
Jan 15, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #58,300 of 63,917
you're probably right but I also think cotton delivers more tame treble where foam would absorb more.

I dusted off my lowly EDX today and plugged them to the Cayin N3Pro running in Triode (no EQ) and I thought "splashy highs". So rolled up a couple of plugs of Speaker dampening material that I had on hand (not cotton but not foam) and shoved it into the ear tips of the EDX. Splashy highs cured. Went for a long dog walk with them, it was pretty revelatory....sounded pretty darn good!

Sure the mids are a bit uneven, some instruments come across more clearly (more forward) then others, and I would like a touch more sub bass.

Lucky synergy with the N3Pro in Triode mode?

Anything sounds pretty decent if you devote yourself to careful undistracted listening?

Or are they pretty decent cans with this simple mod....regardless of the low cost?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #58,301 of 63,917
Could you get the same improvement without mod just using PEQ? The tweaking needed seems slight.
havent tried PEQ too much but yes you should be able to use PEQ to tune it more to your liking.

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #58,302 of 63,917
I sold my ZSX and bought DQ6 with KZ gold silver copper cable as many people complain about DQ6's piercing treble. Now I kind of regret selling my ZSX with KZ gold/silver cable. DQ6 have so much sub and mid bass even with stock silver cable and flimsy silicon tips and more bass with 8 core cable. I have to use EQ in many songs which is very annoying. bass and treble are not as good as ZSX, mids are similar. I listened DQ6 for around 7-8 hours with my Fiio M3K. Thinking of selling DQ6 and KZ cable and get something else.

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #58,303 of 63,917
Jan 16, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #58,304 of 63,917
I sold my ZSX and bought DQ6 with KZ gold silver copper cable as many people complain about DQ6's piercing treble. Now I kind of regret selling my ZSX with KZ gold/silver cable. DQ6 have so much sub and mid bass even with stock silver cable and flimsy silicon tips and more bass with 8 core cable. I have to use EQ in many songs which is very annoying. bass and treble are not as good as ZSX, mids are similar. I listened DQ6 for around 7-8 hours with my Fiio M3K. Thinking of selling DQ6 and KZ cable and get something else.
DQ6 need 100h burn, mine after that is a WOW 🤩

Jan 16, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #58,305 of 63,917
Hello boys! its an old friend here

It's been a while, so apparently @RikudouGoku recent review about CCA CRA is lurking me out of cave. Good job, really appreciate you've done to this community bro and how well you measured all these stuffs. I believe you have similar standard with mine and Crin's so i don't have to measure again.
So looks like ZEX Pro aka Crin's CRN is great on tuning but missing 1 important little thing, its not tuning method but its a damper thing. They need to put sponge to absorb out of control high frequencies bouncing in the nozzle, like the mod we did, following Sony's IEMs. its a little simple (but have great effect) trick.
They need to tune 2khz-8khz (or mostly at 4khz) higher, but then damped to be lower. not just tuning right on target.

HBB's DQ6s also tuned right on target without damper. So sorry but I'm skeptic, they will be too dark for my liking.

original DQ6 with sponge/foam mod is better due more detail but well dampened so the final FR is closer to our target but I see the CRA is better because of the better driver I guess. I take it that CRA's thin diaphragm driver better than XUN driver.

But really KZ (and CCA) is really made bold better move here. Im done buying stuff and sit down with my Z1R (not perfect IEM to me, but the closest one to my dream) but the CRA (and @RikudouGoku 's review) made me wanna jump in one more time.. one more last time (really wish for real LAST)

and btw for AZ09 Pro user (sorry I forgot who owns this, one of them is @voicemaster ) do they have "high performance mode" by tapping 3 times on right button?

because they've released AZ10 now with high performance mode to reduce delay, but the color scheme is so striking and I don't like them very much :

kz-az10-img12.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back