Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 16, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #58,321 of 63,836
...and the AZ09 PRO has much better battery life (difference is 2 hours) on single charge. AptX is present in AptX-adaptive version too.
The chips can do all the AptXes this but if kz isn't marketing it, it's probably because they're not paying the separate AptX-adaptive license.

Hopefully they dont lose access to their qualcomm chip supply over this lol

Jan 16, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #58,322 of 63,836
Oh hey, nice to see you again! Wasnt the Z1R your endgame? :joy:
(I ended up getting a ton of Sony in the end, N3, Z5, EX800ST, EX1000, A2, WF-XM3.)

And yes, my measurements are done with an clone IEC711 coupler.

Yeah, nice collections! and they share similarities, using foam as the damper (truly this is the old secret of Sony's smooth yet detailed signature sound, from MH0755 until top end Z1R.

I realized that I was chasing shadows all time long, no matter what price you are spending. Perfect IEM for individual is just a myth, so example like I have near perfect Z1R, in terms almost everything but the tuning isn't perfect to me (little bit too much mid bass and upper bass) but moving to like example Monarch mk II, i like the lower frequencies part tuning but the texture, definition and speed of the Z1R still can't be beat out, its not that simple unless you build your own true end game IEM, with you selected materials, your method, your own tuning. Even doing that way you still have to go trial and error several times. Dunno why ears are hard to pleased rather than any other body part :anguished:. But I can call the Z1R is close one that I can get currently.

Anyway, thanks to you that I finally want to get the CCA CRA, almost pull my trigger on DQ6 last time but my modded KZ Z1 still doing good so I was able to resist. But now my KZ Z1 battery life is only up to 25 minutes on my left unit (after almost 2 years of usage), I need budget replacement for KZ Z1 and seems the CRA+AZ09 Pro is better option than DQ6+AZ09 Pro / another Z1 / SKS

*edited : Bought the CRA!!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #58,323 of 63,836
The chips can do all the AptXes this but if kz isn't marketing it, it's probably because they're not paying the separate AptX-adaptive license.

Hopefully they dont lose access to their qualcomm chip supply over this lol

Its because the az09 pro use qualcomm bluetooth chip (qc3040 if i recalled it right)

Good chance Az10 use realtek or non qualcomm bluetooth chip. (If you see 5.2 bluetooth ads, without aptx ads, good chance its the cheaper realtek or some othe brand bluetooth module)

Its a different bluetooth module.

Qualcomm bluetooth chip will comes with that aptx feature and more importantly better battery life

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #58,324 of 63,836
I sold my ZSX and bought DQ6 with KZ gold silver copper cable as many people complain about DQ6's piercing treble. Now I kind of regret selling my ZSX with KZ gold/silver cable. DQ6 have so much sub and mid bass even with stock silver cable and flimsy silicon tips and more bass with 8 core cable. I have to use EQ in many songs which is very annoying. bass and treble are not as good as ZSX, mids are similar. I listened DQ6 for around 7-8 hours with my Fiio M3K. Thinking of selling DQ6 and KZ cable and get something else.
The Fiio M3K isn't very good. I haven't found a single ChiFi earphone that sounds good with it.

Jan 17, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #58,325 of 63,836
I'm enjoying using my AZ09 pro, but there's one little thing that bothers me, high gain mode turns off when I put earhooks back in the case and I need to turn it on again every time. Does anyone know if there's a way for it to stay on forever?

Jan 17, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #58,326 of 63,836
CCA CRA is by far the best KZ/CCA I have heard OOTB. I don't feel like changing anything. It fits like a glove to my music preferences and sound signature is refreshingly mature and very close to neutral.

Probably the most fun neutral IEM in my collection. I might just get one more as a spare and backup 😅😅

Jan 17, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #58,327 of 63,836
I'm enjoying using my AZ09 pro, but there's one little thing that bothers me, high gain mode turns off when I put earhooks back in the case and I need to turn it on again every time. Does anyone know if there's a way for it to stay on forever?
It is just programmed like that.

Jan 17, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #58,329 of 63,836
Agree with you, M3K sound dry and not really energetic.
Do you have CRA? just like to know how it sounds with M3K.
Nope. I have enough old earphones to enjoy right now. Some I bought years ago and still haven't heard.

Jan 17, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #58,330 of 63,836
For you who have trouble with ZEX pro's fit try this. Unhook the cable from your ear and twist the top of the iem towards the back or your ear. I find that it fits me way better this way, but I cannot put the cable over my ear in this twisted position.

Solution? Lightly heat the ear hook with a lighter and adjust to shape with your finger (push the cable forward Near the connector with your finger while still hot, create a sort of s shape), let cool :D They actually fit comfy and snuggly now and I don't mind wearing them. It saved the purchase for me!

Or just get a cable with a straight connector.

Edit: inserted image

Attachments

• IMG_20220117_201445_1.jpg
    IMG_20220117_201445_1.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #58,331 of 63,836
For you who have trouble with ZEX pro's fit try this. Unhook the cable from your ear and twist the top of the iem towards the back or your ear. I find that it fits me way better this way, but I cannot put the cable over my ear in this twisted position.

Solution? Lightly heat the ear hook with a lighter and adjust to shape with your finger (push the cable forward Near the connector with your finger while still hot, create a sort of s shape), let cool :D They actually fit comfy and snuggly now and I don't mind wearing them. It saved the purchase for me!

Or just get a cable with a straight connector.

I would post a picture, but for some reason cannot insert an image from my phone.
Only problem with the blinkin' type C connectors is if you attach, reattach them they start to become loose. I had 3.5mm and 2.5mm cables for my IEMs but now just run one cable on it not switching because of this annoyance

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #58,332 of 63,836
@RikudouGoku did you burn your cra?
An overnight burn in helps to take the edge off a little bit but to get the full potential you'd want to mod it. I just reverted my mod and the edge is definitely still there after 100+ hours.

I'm not sure how my mod compares to Rikudogoku's 500 mesh + sony general foam mod but it really helped tame the upper treble without affecting anything else. I cut an alcohol swab into a rectangular piece and wrap it around a needle. Then once its in the nozzle, move the needle in a circular motion until the swab adheres to the walls of the nozzle while leaving a space in the middle.
20220118_143542.jpg

20220118_143621.jpg

This mod was inspired by the FDX1 nozzles which tame the upper treble as shown by this graph.
graph(2).png

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #58,333 of 63,836
I'm having the cracking/loosening connectors issue on my ZAX :frowning2: They've gotten to the point of falling off any cable I throw at them very regularly, and losing connection randomly while listening. I'll probably have to replace them soon, but it's been a good year and a half with them. Hopefully KZ can release a tribrid soon with the DD from the CRA, a few of the S-series BAs and the magnetoelectretwhatever, because if there's anything I want out of a KZ, it's outstanding technical performance for the price. Now that they seem to finally know how to tune, that's also a nice bonus. My ZAX are very good out of the box but applying the Harman pEQ preset really cleans up the added warmth from the bass boost, bass lines are more distinct and better textured, the separation of pretty much everything is better, the upper mids are less fatiguing and the lower mids sound more full bodied, etc. Point being that I can see KZs as purely a hardware investment where a simple pEQ can go a very long way in fixing tuning issues, but they have the chance to use their newfound tuning knowledge to make them absolute beasts out of the box.

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #58,334 of 63,836
I'm having the cracking/loosening connectors issue on my ZAX :frowning2: They've gotten to the point of falling off any cable I throw at them very regularly, and losing connection randomly while listening. I'll probably have to replace them soon, but it's been a good year and a half with them. Hopefully KZ can release a tribrid soon with the DD from the CRA, a few of the S-series BAs and the magnetoelectretwhatever, because if there's anything I want out of a KZ, it's outstanding technical performance for the price. Now that they seem to finally know how to tune, that's also a nice bonus. My ZAX are very good out of the box but applying the Harman pEQ preset really cleans up the added warmth from the bass boost, bass lines are more distinct and better textured, the separation of pretty much everything is better, the upper mids are less fatiguing and the lower mids sound more full bodied, etc. Point being that I can see KZs as purely a hardware investment where a simple pEQ can go a very long way in fixing tuning issues, but they have the chance to use their newfound tuning knowledge to make them absolute beasts out of the box.
Same issue with my ZSX. The CRA replaced it though I'm not sure if the CRAs can match up to the spaciousness of the ZAX. Technicalities on the CRA were on the same level if not better with a more lifelike tonality imo.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #58,335 of 63,836
My CRN has misaligned pins on the cables (they do not run parallel to the hole in the connector), so the fit is super tight. Maybe if will last a bit longer. They also have a couple of rough molding lines on the connectors as well as the iems. First QC issues I've had with KZ.

My old ZSN pro has the same connectors, and although they got a bit looser over 1.5 years of use, they still work just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20220118_090407.jpg
    IMG_20220118_090407.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back