Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 10, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #58,231 of 64,182
I came across some strange findings and was wondering if anyone else experienced the same. I purchased the ZEX Pro followed by the CRN two weeks later (just for the sake of the CRIN logo) and was surprised to find that they both sounded quite differently. I thought they are supposedly both the same🤔
Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 07.34.21.png

A friend of mine got the CRN after testing my ZEX Pro, and he thought it sounded more V-shaped than he recalled. We met up to compare, and I thought the CRN sounded like it had more bass and treble, and the ZEX Pro sounded more balanced. The song i tested it with that day, fleetwood mac's dreams, the cymbals in the intro sounded harsher and more tizzy to me compared to the ZEX Pro. No measuring rig or what, so it's just based on using tone generator and songs.
the CRN has a bit more treble in the graphs here too, though in the end, could just be unit variance unless (since these are still mass produced budget IEMs after all) there are more accounts and examples of people hearing the same thing, and i think the mid range still more of less sounded the same.

Jan 10, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #58,233 of 64,182
I came across some strange findings and was wondering if anyone else experienced the same. I purchased the ZEX Pro followed by the CRN two weeks later (just for the sake of the CRIN logo) and was surprised to find that they both sounded quite differently. I thought they are supposedly both the same🤔
The CRN Zex Pro has a treble tweak to match Crinicles personality.

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #58,234 of 64,182
Solid baseline for sure. But I'd reccomend the JCALLY JM20 for its better build quality and clearer and more detailed sound for less than $20

Also for those in the EU where the Apple dongle is capped to 50%
I got that one after exhaustive reading reviews on the USB-C dongle thread. JM20 was the only one on the list I could easily get apart from the Apple dongle. I got that one too.

I really liked it at first, still do. I loved it with iems without super amazing resolution. However, once I played it against my Sabaj DA3 (I owned the DA2 but it has a faulty impletation and died). The DA3 is a dual ESS DAC (dual only on balanced connection) with a KZ ASX is just an amazing combination. Wierdly the ASX sounds a bit strange and 'out of sorts' on the dongles. Nevertheless the dongles are not hifi. I mean they do an ok job. But if you want detailed representation they just don't quite make it. Unfortunately :neutral_face:

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #58,235 of 64,182
I got that one after exhaustive reading reviews on the USB-C dongle thread. JM20 was the only one on the list I could easily get apart from the Apple dongle. I got that one too.

I really liked it at first, still do. I loved it with iems without super amazing resolution. However, once I played it against my Sabaj DA3 (I owned the DA2 but it has a faulty impletation and died). The DA3 is a dual ESS DAC (dual only on balanced connection) with a KZ ASX is just an amazing combination. Wierdly the ASX sounds a bit strange and 'out of sorts' on the dongles. Nevertheless the dongles are not hifi. I mean they do an ok job. But if you want detailed representation they just don't quite make it. Unfortunately :neutral_face:
Yeah "good enough" is the key word here. Nobody is really expecting a miracle out of these.

Jan 11, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #58,238 of 64,182
My CRA haven't updated in tracking since they apparently arrived at the US on December 16th. Never had any take this long.
In my case, AliExpress mistakenly was saying that it arrived in the US while 17track said it departed. It took 15 days between that scan and the customs arrival scan, at which point it took just a few days for it to reach me.

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #58,239 of 64,182
My CRA haven't updated in tracking since they apparently arrived at the US on December 16th. Never had any take this long.
My 7Hz Timeless was ordered weeks before the 11.11 sale but I received it after I got the things I ordered on 11.11 because (from what I could tell) it was with US customs for about a month before it reached the US postal system for some unknown reason.

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #58,240 of 64,182
My 7Hz Timeless was ordered weeks before the 11.11 sale but I received it after I got the things I ordered on 11.11 because (from what I could tell) it was with US customs for about a month before it reached the US postal system for some unknown reason.
My ZEX Pro apparently arrived in the US on Dec 11th. Tracking hasn't changed since.
I orderered something else well after that date and received it long ago. Not sure what the deal is.
I don't really want the ZEX Pro now anyways....doesn't sound all that special. It was an impulse purchase I guess. The hype train got me. :)

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #58,241 of 64,182
Upcoming KZ

1641935100575.png

12mm DD + "electrostatic" (probably MST)

No info on price yet.

Edit: Some pics.

1641936704822.png

1641936715608.png

1641936734198.png

I assume it wont be dirt cheap since the build quality actually looks quite good (and it seems that KZ has been working on it for a long time).

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #58,243 of 64,182
Upcoming KZ

12mm DD + "electrostatic" (probably MST)

No info on price yet.

Edit: Some pics.

I assume it wont be dirt cheap since the build quality actually looks quite good (and it seems that KZ has been working on it for a long time).
If the chome was just on the faceplate it would have looked good. But when the body of the iem is chrome as well it kinda looks like a toy.

Maybe it looks better in person and these pictures just make them look worse.

Jan 11, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #58,244 of 64,182
Here I was hoping for a fancy KZ ZAX with an additional MST driver. This is gonna be gold if it can match the ZAX in resolution.
ZAX with a bass BA instead of DD would be really great!

Or at least, replacing ZAX DD with one from ZEX pro or CRA.

Alas, my current perception/theory is that KZ does not do perfect IEMs by choice.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #58,245 of 64,182
Alas, my current perception/theory is that KZ does not do perfect IEMs by choice.
KZ seem to be very confident about this new ZES though. They are sending it out to a lot of reviewers (including me).

I will have mine within a month and graphed at least, was sent with UPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back