Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 7, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #57,031 of 63,884
AST.
As blasphemous as it sounds, I consider the difference between ZEX (€ 20) and AST (€ 100 +) to be abysmal, because AST are IEMs with terrible mid-frequencies, absent heights and tragic timbre. It is precisely these properties that ZEX handles perfectly.
It is hard to believe that you really have AST.
The BA array delivers very nice mids, the treble is curtailed/gentle indeed.

The best and most objective testament to AST is that its price during this 11.11 sale is discounted very little at above $120 - compared to dramatic discounts for TRN (e.g. X7 and BA8) and many other KZs
So AST joines the likes of AS10 and AS06.

Nov 7, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #57,032 of 63,884
AST.

The best and most objective testament to AST is that its price during this 11.11 sale is discounted very little at above $120 - compared to dramatic discounts for TRN (e.g. X7 and BA8) and many other KZs

AST.

Here is the proof, right in front of my Arias and CKX.

Attachments

• IMG_20211107_200417.jpg
    IMG_20211107_200417.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Nov 7, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #57,035 of 63,884
I have been out of the loop with KZ headphones since i bought my ZS10 Pro. The new favorites around here seem to be the DQ6 and ZEX. How do you they compare to the ZS10 Pro? Should i get one of them?

And i just ordered the AZ09 Pro after a very disappointing experience with the KZ AptX HD cable (very loud hiss) and the AZ09 (awful sound glitches and bad connection). I hope that they got it right this time. The first reviews sound positive :L3000:

Nov 7, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #57,036 of 63,884
In my opinion, it is the magnetostat that makes KZ ZEX one of the best in the category of around € 20. They are brutally fun and balanced at the same time. The right choice of tips is important, I recommend BGVP W01. I wish everyone a pleasant experience. CCA NRA suffers from a lack of bass, but it was just a warm-up with this species of driver. I own them both, so I know what I'm talking about.
I couldn't agree more. Put any wide bore tips on it will make it sounds more refine and coherence. At the moment I'm using either white starline reverse or Tanchjim TAPB Treble.

Nov 7, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #57,037 of 63,884
I have been out of the loop with KZ headphones since i bought my ZS10 Pro. The new favorites around here seem to be the DQ6 and ZEX. How do you they compare to the ZS10 Pro? Should i get one of them?

And i just ordered the AZ09 Pro after a very disappointing experience with the KZ AptX HD cable (very loud hiss) and the AZ09 (awful sound glitches and bad connection). I hope that they got it right this time. The first reviews sound positive :L3000:
We put our hope on QC3040 chip which is the mainstay on numerous good budget TWS.
Also hopefully, KZ give it good Antenna, decent battery, and good QC to make it great.

Nov 7, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #57,038 of 63,884

Can't go wrong with either choice. Choose the DQ6 for a more lively and engaging, but inevitably somewhat fatiguing, experience. Choose the ZEX for a more relaxed, non-fatiguing experience, that is better suited for longer listening sessions.

Nov 8, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #57,039 of 63,884
Just want to share that I'm getting a very good auditory experience with this combo - ZAX, KZ APTX HD bluetooth cable, Apple Music lossless and Oppo A5 set to Audio APTX HD in developer options. No hiss, stable connectivity and, most importantly, rich, immersive music.

Attachments

• IMG_20211108_212923.jpg
    IMG_20211108_212923.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211108_212923.jpg
    IMG_20211108_212923.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Nov 8, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #57,041 of 63,884
Can't go wrong with either choice. Choose the DQ6 for a more lively and engaging, but inevitably somewhat fatiguing, experience. Choose the ZEX for a more relaxed, non-fatiguing experience, that is better suited for longer listening sessions.
Thank you! :)
Do you know how they both compare to the ZS10 Pro? Does the missing insanity in driver count actually make a difference in resolution, sound stage, etc?

Nov 8, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #57,042 of 63,884
Thank you! :)
Do you know how they both compare to the ZS10 Pro? Does the missing insanity in driver count actually make a difference in resolution, sound stage, etc?
There’s a crisp definition to the ZS10 Pro that is satisfying but a little fatiguing. Overall I prefer the softer but more musical ZEX. Both are good budget IEMs. I don’t have the DQ6 to compare.

Nov 8, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #57,043 of 63,884
You don't get any hiss? That's strange. The ZAX has an even lower impedance than the ZS10 Pro. It should actually be louder.
Maybe KZ had a lot of faulty badges of the cable and i got one of those 😅
Yes. No hiss at all. That's why I included all the elements of the audio combination for an exact reference. QC may be to blame for any variations.

Nov 8, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #57,044 of 63,884
Its been awhile since i listen to it, but i remember the soundstage got bigger and its tames some of its treble harshness.
Apparently there is two model, CP220 and CP240. from the review, one focus on mid and bass and the other focus on clarity and treble.

I'm using a generic s size triple flange with short nozzle but it's sometime tricky, especially when after cleaning my ears, then dq6 will sounds dry, less bass, overwhelming treble, need to make my ear canal a little wet

Nov 8, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #57,045 of 63,884
Indeed. AST merit, even though a full BA IEM, is the timbre and versatility. The easy capability to EQ it is also undermined. Stock tuning is treble shy, fatigue free, but you can adjust that with small effort and it is very far from the mess ASX is.
I actually love the ASX. I have the AST too, and I keep trying to convince myself I like it better, but at this point it's a tie.
If you twisted my arm this very moment, I'd take the ASX. But if no arm twisting, then I need some more time to compare them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back