Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 5, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #57,001 of 63,917
I can agree that I would be the least qualified person to advise to bassheads. CSN was definitely most bass-intense in the discussed comparison. E44 helps with the bass tightness a bit, but the Lark is definitely better in tightness but not a basshead IEM :)

Thank you for your kind words.
I still have Emerald and can do more tests, but it started to feel antithetical - instead of enjoying the music trying to prove that someone did not what they should...

If someone would not have a chuckle about the "antiparallel alignment", they are welcome to contact me for more details :wink:

Exactly, the Spanish Harlem is my go to for internal comparisons.

Somehow I did not know about the separate "headphone" disk, and now I got it, thanks to you :)
You're welcome. ☺️

Chesky's Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc provides an accurate basis for determining or ascertaining the extent of the sound field or head stage the headphone creates, along the x, y and z axes. I've played it countless times through my stereo system and all of my headphones and through my husband's HiFiMAN Arya, and I'm already very familiar with its boundaries. The headphone may either increase or decrease this field, but now I'm assured I can gauge it with a high degree of confidence for every new headphone I try.

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #57,002 of 63,917
Don't forget to stop and :heart: the music. BA10 on full send. All that fast decay on the piano, and BA's roaring in the mids from the PowerDAC. Truly a concert hall experience, just incredible.

... bring a tissue. :sob::sob::sob:

Nov 5, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #57,003 of 63,917
Don't forget to stop and :heart: the music. BA10 on full send. All that fast decay on the piano, and BA's roaring in the mids from the PowerDAC. Truly a concert hall experience, just incredible.

... bring a tissue. :sob::sob::sob:

How about the fit of the BA10. That is the only thing that ever kept me from making a purchase of them. I read good reviews a few years back but.... They just look uncomfortable man. May just be decieving. I wonder how they stack up against as10/as12/kb10... Basically all the other chi-fi all BA sets of the time period

Nov 5, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #57,004 of 63,917
How about the fit of the BA10. That is the only thing that ever kept me from making a purchase of them. I read good reviews a few years back but.... They just look uncomfortable man. May just be decieving. I wonder how they stack up against as10/as12/kb10... Basically all the other chi-fi all BA sets of the time period
For me, the cable has to point forward instead pointing a little bit upward for other IEMs. Because the body is square shaped so if I use it just like any other IEMs, some of the edges will touch and irritate my ears after some time. When I use it pointing forward, the edges don't touch my ears and I could wear it for quite a long time.
Here is a little bit pointing upward. 20211105_103155.jpgHere is pointing forward.
20211105_103341.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #57,005 of 63,917
For me, the cable has to point forward instead pointing a little bit upward for other IEMs. Because the body is square shaped so if I use it just like any other IEMs, some of the edges will touch and irritate my ears after some time. When I use it pointing forward, the edges don't touch my ears and I could wear it for quite a long time.
Here is a little bit pointing upward.20211105_103155.jpgHere is pointing forward.
20211105_103341.jpg
That's makes sense, not perfect but usable. I appreciate your reply from user experience.

Nov 5, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #57,006 of 63,917

I have medium-large ears and no fit issues. Not going to side sleep with them :)

I think smaller ears might suffer with contact in the corner, as widely discussed.

Nov 5, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #57,007 of 63,917
I know this question has probably been asked and answered hundreds of times, so sorry in advance..
DQ6 vs ZEX? :)

Nov 5, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #57,008 of 63,917
I know this question has probably been asked and answered hundreds of times, so sorry in advance..
Haven't heard Zex, but have heard DQ6.
And per PhonoPPhi answer
In comparison with CCZ Emerald.
DQ6: In comparison to CCZ above? Well, not much of comparison to my ears. DQ6 offers so much more: less intrusive, less honky bass and so much more resolving, functional and engaging treble. True, treble can be a bit too much for some. I get a bit of this feeling in Correnteza, but then fatiguing but not unnatural. After all, to dampen treble a bit is so much easier rather than trying to enhance non-existent or to correct unnatural. Check @RikudouGoku mod for DQ6 –very helpful.

ZEX: I was surprised how noticeably more limited ZEX felt in comparison with DQ6. I did enjoy ZEX with E44 when I first got it, very decent and the shell design is so pleasing to my eyes. Then side-by-side with the coherent DQ6, ZEX is not totally helpless or undermined. Yet, in ZEX the DD does most of the job, assisted by “EST” in the treble in a more limited way. ZEX treble is mostly nice and definitely unique (that rigid suspended magnetic plate, that KZ opted to call “EST”, does some interesting job with overtones), but definitely less natural for some music reproduction, e.g. at the beginning of Correnteza. A bit to the defence of ZEX, for the less demanding piano music it can sound nice, and I can see that some may like it more compared to DQ6
It seems for the most part, there are some type of music that ZEX is better, but for the most part DQ6 is more natural and better...

For god sake man, all this talk about DQ6 makes me miss it.
I bought mine for a gift, use it for a week or two before giving it to my brother in law, which apparently after recieving DQ6 still dead set in using his (shell cracked) KZ ZST.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #57,009 of 63,917
I've A/B'd them. Both are very good V shaped sets with well tuned bass. The ZEX has a slightly more recessed midrange than the DQ6, but guitars and vocals still have good presence on both. DQ6 has a bit more impact and edge, which I prefer, and the treble on the 3DD DQ6 has, to me, better extension compared to the ZEX....but they are both really enjoyable and my guess is you can toss a coin. The ZEX is probably less likely to offend than the DQ6 as the treble rolls off a tiny bit earlier. I really like the DQ6 a lot. Both have good timbre and the ZEX has a rich tone. Credit to KZ, I avoided them for some time but they are making some well tuned, good value, IEMs nowadays.

Nov 5, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #57,010 of 63,917
Spin Fit Double flange do wonders KZ ZS5. it soften quite a lot of its harshness.
I wonder how the triple flange works on recent kz
I’m using some random black triple flange tips on my ZAX. It’s my favorite tip for them. Not as dry sounding, everything sounds very lush.

I haven’t had a lot of luck with triple flange tips with KZs since the different triple flanges I’ve tried to tend slip off the nozzles. But these are working out.

Nov 6, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #57,012 of 63,917
oh I think that more flange means more forward signature, because I can hear sibilance, the pronunciation s sounds like ss to me or it is already sibilance ini DQ6....?
Its been awhile since i listen to it, but i remember the soundstage got bigger and its tames some of its treble harshness.
Apparently there is two model, CP220 and CP240. from the review, one focus on mid and bass and the other focus on clarity and treble.

Nov 6, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #57,013 of 63,917
Dq6 and bt20s make a nice TWS...especialy for running

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #57,015 of 63,917
I own the DQ6 and use it every day now. I'm thinking of buying the CCA NRA. Do you think its a waste of money?
Yes it is.

If you wanna spend money, you can get some tuning foams for the dq6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back