Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 1, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #56,536 of 64,135
No I mean they are THE SAME company. Didn't look into the ST10 and I thought it has 12 BAs :sweat_smile:
It's entirely possible. GS Audio was originally just an OEM/ODM company for other brands and built sets to their specifications, tuned to their preferred house sound.

Sep 1, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #56,537 of 64,135
Yea but the sound signature on GT12 is rather flat compared to ST10 or AST, so for that I was referring if someone really looking a same course of sound reproduction ST10 is the endgame.
You'll have to post the graph comparison between the ST10 and GT12 once your GT12 arrives. Based on the graphs they posted on Facebook, the GT12 does have a bit more bass gain than their little unlabeled graph might indicate, but it's certainly not the bass monstrosity that the AST is purported to be. I'm certainly looking forward to your thoughts on the GT12, since it is so comparatively affordable for a set with that many drivers hand assembled in a full resin shell like that. Especially since they are using name brand drivers for the bass and mids of their sound equation.

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #56,538 of 64,135
Near-perfect Eartips

e579a5791a445ef4e0d235e9f424f1f7.jpg

889a264eb4bc1df2b288fc9f9383d4c0.jpg

Large BGVP Type W01 Eartips. Made of food grade nipple silicone that's very soft—as soft as, if not softer, than the SpinFit CP360.

The latter is designed for TWS in-ear headphones with their softness, reduced, ergonomic form factor and ability to flex in all directions (hence, the 360 appellation). In my case, this very ability to freely articulate while seemingly embedded at the external auditory meatus of my ears is also the reason why certain movements of the jaw or perhaps the mimetic muscles would cause the seal to be broken after some time. The result, the sound is altered.

I've also noticed this with my DIY attempt towards an analogue for the CP360, consisting of inexpensive generic soft silicone wide-bore eartips (50 pairs per $1.00) and tiny silicone O-rings (photos of which I've previously posted here with the KZ ZAX-AZ09 combo), albeit to a lesser degree.

These BGVP eartips have translucent white outer portions and black inner tubes, also very soft. I first tried the medium sized tips because I thought the large ones would be just that—too large. The seal and isolation the medium tips provide are the best I've ever come across in my limited experience. The plunger-like vacuum effect is also the worst. It turned out the large tips are quite ideal for me. The very soft silicone somehow conforms to the shape of the meatus of my ears to provide an ideal, and surprisingly secure seal. All my efforts to intentionally dislodge them, doing all sorts of facial contortions theatre actors usually do as exercises, proved futile.

Such seal, coupled with the wide opening of the tips—at least 6.5 mm—enabled the sound to fully enter my ear canal, unhindered. Contrary to my initial misgivings about what I deemed will be a corresponding loss of bass and a very bright character, all elements of the audible spectrum are fully discernible as a coherent whole. It was transformative.

I have now experienced what it is to say that as regards in-ear headphones, next to your in-ears themselves, the most important thing to consider would be your choice of eartips.

I got mine locally, 2 pairs per set with free plastic box at ~$1.37 per set. Got 2 sets, 1 medium 1 large. The seller included an extra pair for each set as freebies. These sell for only $0.01 per pair at AliExpress.

I'm most fortunate these large BGVP W01s achieved a serendipitous Goldilocks pairing with my KZ ZAX and my Moondrop Aria.

IMG_20210810_145526~2.jpg

Caveat:
As mentioned, these BGVP W01s are really soft. That, and the wide bore of the tube may be problematic for in-ears with relatively smaller nozzles and with nozzles that have no flanges, like the Moondrop Aria. Furthermore, the surface of the Aria is almost Teflon-like in smoothness. During the first few days, every time I would remove the Aria the tips would remain stuck in my ears. After a week or so of constant use, the eartips' tubes have somehow adhered to the Aria's nozzles. I don't know. Maybe they've contracted. Perhaps sheer persistence has its reward. Although I still take care when removing the Aria from my ears, the eartips don't get stuck there anymore.

PS(sst):
Did I also say that the seal made it the best in noise isolation I've ever experienced among in-ears, didn't I?

Sep 2, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #56,539 of 64,135
Near-perfect Eartips

Large BGVP Type W01 Eartips. Made of food grade nipple silicone that's very soft—as soft as, if not softer, than the SpinFit CP360.

The latter is designed for TWS in-ear headphones with their softness, reduced, ergonomic form factor and ability to flex in all directions (hence, the 360 appellation). In my case, this very ability to freely articulate while seemingly embedded at the external auditory meatus of my ears is also the reason why certain movements of the jaw or perhaps the mimetic muscles would cause the seal to be broken after some time. The result, the sound is altered.

I've also noticed this with my DIY attempt towards an analogue for the CP360, consisting of inexpensive generic soft silicone wide-bore eartips (50 pairs per $1.00) and tiny silicone O-rings (photos of which I've previously posted here with the KZ ZAX-AZ09 combo), albeit to a lesser degree.

These BGVP eartips have translucent white outer portions and black inner tubes, also very soft. I first tried the medium sized tips because I thought the large ones would be just that—too large. The seal and isolation the medium tips provide are the best I've ever come across in my limited experience. The plunger-like vacuum effect is also the worst. It turned out the large tips are quite ideal for me. The very soft silicone somehow conforms to the shape of the meatus of my ears to provide an ideal, and surprisingly secure seal. All my efforts to intentionally dislodge them, doing all sorts of facial contortions theatre actors usually do as exercises, proved futile.

Such seal, coupled with the wide opening of the tips—at least 6.5 mm—enabled the sound to fully enter my ear canal, unhindered. Contrary to my initial misgivings about what I deemed will be a corresponding loss of bass and a very bright character, all elements of the audible spectrum are fully discernible as a coherent whole. It was transformative.

I have now experienced what it is to say that as regards in-ear headphones, next to your in-ears themselves, the most important thing to consider would be your choice of eartips.

I got mine locally, 2 pairs per set with free plastic box at ~$1.37 per set. Got 2 sets, 1 medium 1 large. The seller included an extra pair for each set as freebies. These sell for only $0.01 per pair at AliExpress.

I'm most fortunate these large BGVP W01s achieved a serendipitous Goldilocks pairing with my KZ ZAX and my Moondrop Aria.

Caveat:
As mentioned, these BGVP W01s are really soft. That, and the wide bore of the tube may be problematic for in-ears with relatively smaller nozzles and with nozzles that have no flanges, like the Moondrop Aria. Furthermore, the surface of the Aria is almost Teflon-like in smoothness. During the first few days, every time I would remove the Aria the tips would remain stuck in my ears. After a week or so of constant use, the eartips' tubes have somehow adhered to the Aria's nozzles. I don't know. Maybe they've contracted. Perhaps sheer persistence has its reward. Although I still take care when removing the Aria from my ears, the eartips don't get stuck there anymore.

PS(sst):
Did I also say that the seal made it the best in noise isolation I've ever experienced among in-ears, didn't I?
I like them my only gripe with them is that they are not at all secure for canal type IEM as they drop off a lot due to their short stem.

Sep 2, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #56,541 of 64,135
Near-perfect Eartips

Caveat:

PS(sst):
I consider BGVP eartips offerings the best on Ali rn. Realistic priced compared to Spinfits for the same or even better sound and comfort. I wish I could afford Jap-fi eartips (Final, Radius, JVC...), they are painfully expensive to my country bc of shipping costs.

By the way, BQEYZ is selling on Ali their new eartips introduced by Summer, they also seem like a great deal (waiting my order).

Sep 2, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #56,542 of 64,135
I consider BGVP eartips offerings the best on Ali rn. Realistic priced compared to Spinfits for the same or even better sound and comfort. I wish I could afford Jap-fi eartips (Final, Radius, JVC...), they are painfully expensive to my country bc of shipping costs.

By the way, BQEYZ is selling on Ali their new eartips introduced by Summer, they also seem like a great deal (waiting my order).
Could you post the BQEYZ link, pleas...

Sep 3, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #56,546 of 64,135
When I get them I'll compare them, although I have MH750 and not MH755.
So after spending some 20 odd hours with Quarks I can say that both are different beasts altogether despite being in the same price bracket.

Quarks is ruler flat whereas MH750 is more universal with it's Harman-ish tuning. One thing where I prefer Quarks over MH750 is timbre. Moondrop has done a great job to have that musical timbre at this price. With appropriate tips Quarks have that chameleonic ability to sound as you want.

So it's matter of preference if one wants a fun sound then MH750 is the way to go whereas Quarks give a good taste of neutrality at a dirt cheap cost.

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #56,547 of 64,135
IMG_20210903_220437.jpg

Received CCA NRA today.
Initial impression:
Sound great OOTB. Another great tuning by CCA.
String instruments sound sweet, soundstage like DQ6, positioning, and separation is good too.
The 3 magnetic DD bass sound like the Xun driver, may be better

Sound so good listening to Nightwish - Walking in the Air

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #56,548 of 64,135
how does KZ AZ09 HD compares to TRN BT20S PRO in terms of bluetooth range and battery life?
planning to use it with ZAX...
Mine AZ09 sucks. Connection drop alot even when the transmitter like 1ft away from it.
What I like from AZ09 better than BT20s pro are:
1. Much compact size, hard shell case and better IEM placement inside the case. On the bt20s pro, your iem will get squished out and if the case got crushed by something quite heavy, it can break the iem.
2. The module is smaller and lighter than bt20s pro.
3. The fit on the AZ09 is better and also it doesn't move around much if you are running or jumping than bt20s pro. The bt20s pro seems loose and just hang there. I did try bench pressing with it and the module since it is heavy, it tends to hang loose.
4. The AZ09 has higher output than bt20s pro, but this can also make the hiss more pronounce in sensitive iem.
Now for bluetooth range, the bt20s pro wins by a margin. It has AptX instead of just sbc and aac. Battery life from bt20s pro is around 6 hours+, can't say about the AZ09 as I haven't had the chance to try it for longer than 30 minutes and had to take it off because of connection dropping.
From my experience from KZ bluetooth anything, their connection is kind of suck imho. I have the bluetooth cable (HD and non HD) and the connection will cut out when you hold the module in your hand even when your source like besides it. Tried to cupped both my ears while using the AZ09 and true enough, the connection will cut out.

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #56,549 of 64,135
Mine AZ09 sucks. Connection drop alot even when the transmitter like 1ft away from it.
What I like from AZ09 better than BT20s pro are:
1. Much compact size, hard shell case and better IEM placement inside the case. On the bt20s pro, your iem will get squished out and if the case got crushed by something quite heavy, it can break the iem.
2. The module is smaller and lighter than bt20s pro.
3. The fit on the AZ09 is better and also it doesn't move around much if you are running or jumping than bt20s pro. The bt20s pro seems loose and just hang there. I did try bench pressing with it and the module since it is heavy, it tends to hang loose.
4. The AZ09 has higher output than bt20s pro, but this can also make the hiss more pronounce in sensitive iem.
Now for bluetooth range, the bt20s pro wins by a margin. It has AptX instead of just sbc and aac. Battery life from bt20s pro is around 6 hours+, can't say about the AZ09 as I haven't had the chance to try it for longer than 30 minutes and had to take it off because of connection dropping.
From my experience from KZ bluetooth anything, their connection is kind of suck imho. I have the bluetooth cable (HD and non HD) and the connection will cut out when you hold the module in your hand even when your source like besides it. Tried to cupped both my ears while using the AZ09 and true enough, the connection will cut out.
I guess you must have got the lemon AZ09. Mine can connect even 20ft away from my phone in an open area. Battery life is about 6 hour+ with medium volume at high-performance mode.
One thing is that when I received the AZ09, one unit was fully charged and one is not. When connected to the phone it will show 100% and one pair will die off pretty fast and show low batt. What I did was paired only one side to see the battery level and then found out the problem. Later I just charge 1 by 1 and the issue was solved.
The SQ is pretty good for the price.

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #56,550 of 64,135

Received CCA NRA today.
Initial impression:
Sound great OOTB. Another great tuning by CCA.
String instruments sound sweet, soundstage like DQ6, positioning, and separation is good too.
The 3 magnetic DD bass sound like the Xun driver, may be better

Sound so good listening to Nightwish - Walking in the Air

I think this NRA beats DQ6 in every single aspect. This NRA is closer to CKX level sound, maybe even better in some aspects. The NRA has fuller vocal for women voice and a good heft on male low vocal. I was afraid of sibilance, but from my playlist, I haven't experienced it once even when listening to sibilance prone song. This NRA is really ridiculously good.

This song is very prone to sibilance even at the start with the cymbals and the scream.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back