Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 16, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #56,116 of 63,919
OK. I respond, after all it is KZ thread :)

Surely, balanced is different so much more than cables, since for the most cases two amplifier chips are used, and in many cases - two different DAC chips. Hence the balanced is effectively a different source that is in the most cases a better one - easier to make cleaner, more spacious, etc.

Also good old KZ stock cables have resistance of 0.8-1.1 Ohm, so with many sources, the difference with a good cable (below ~0.3-0.4 Ohm) can be noticeable.

As for other differences, for instance of the copper and plated, - if one checks out of curiosity whether their "pure copper" cables actually plated and then cased in the copper-coloured insulation - the findings may be surprising :)
Then it is really hard not to chuckle for "the copper makes warmer" :)

Collecting my share of cables, my definitive conclusion is that the differences of the cables is all boiled to the source limitations.

After all, an ideal source will power any load to the same power identically. This ideal case is definitely quite far from the reality with the compact portable sources, and there comes the cable difference highlighting the source imperfections.

But why then actually not to go to the proverbial source?
Portable DACs are plenty and fairly affordable, just the price of few decent cables (or even less than some exhorbitantly priced ones), and the difference there is so much more real and striking!

Actually, it is so overwhelming for me - I am not sure what to do...

So my limited best advice - before investing in a collection of IEM (and cables, other than for comfort and aesthetics), make sure that you have few different sources - at least along the lines of warm/musical, cold/analytical, the difference and synergies can be huge!
I have really been enjoying my little HiBy R3 Pro Saber. It's good enough for most things and reasonably inexpensive for a DAP that offers balanced output with up to 240mW per channel at 16 ohm. There are, of course, cheaper options if you only want a USB DAC+amp, but I opted for that because it seemed the most versatile. It's not exactly warm, but not cold either. It just seems quite balanced in my opinion, which is a nice place to start.

Jul 16, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #56,117 of 63,919
whatever, guys - this cable is so good that I can understand all the lyrics now to Cocteau Twins.

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Jul 16, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #56,118 of 63,919
GK-GS10 is a new brand being sold alongside KZ on the G.K store on Amazon US here
4BA 1DD, graphs similar to the EDX, but sounds a bit spicier in the treble to me. I went with EQ to bring the treble down and bass up a little. Not a bad set, but not sure it will displace your EDX or DQ6. More of a curiosity for me to see another sibling in the KZ family if that is the long term plan.
2021-07-16 12.01.06.jpg

2021-07-16 12.01.55.jpg
2021-07-16 12.03.18.jpg

graph (46).png

Jul 16, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #56,119 of 63,919
GK-GS10 is a new brand being sold alongside KZ on the G.K store on Amazon US here
4BA 1DD, graphs similar to the EDX, but sounds a bit spicier in the treble to me. I went with EQ to bring the treble down and bass up a little. Not a bad set, but not sure it will displace your EDX or DQ6. More of a curiosity for me to see another sibling in the KZ family if that is the long term plan.
2021-07-16 12.01.06.jpg
2021-07-16 12.01.55.jpg2021-07-16 12.03.18.jpg

graph (46).png
Very nice photos!

I also could not help getting GS10 from Amazon.ca

What is prominent about GS10 - they are one of the most open designs. The letters are cut out, and behind is a quite large mesh.
One can literally blow/breath through them causing DD crinckling flex :wink:
Then they left me with an impression of quite ample bass, good stage, as well as as with the "30095 in the nozzle" treble, and not being exactly sure how other BAs are contributing...

P. S. Finally(!), I have received green/cyan AST today :)

Jul 17, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #56,120 of 63,919
Jul 17, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #56,122 of 63,919
Can someone give me a recommendation to the right direction? I was looking at either the AST, ZAS, TFZ no.3, or just grab a ZS 10 Pro. I definitely want a punchy bass that can keep up speed wise, but I've been really wanting something a little more U shaped more as opposed to V shaped where I can get that deep rich bass with healthy treble and a close as can be clean and accurate mid-range. Soundstage I actually like it a little bit closer and usually prefer a closed back, especially because I listen to my music very loud and don't want any sound bleed to effect those around me. I do use foam ear tips, I'll just be upgrading the cable down the road.

I listen to a lot of grunge, metal, alternative/hip-hop, indie/alternative indie, and nu-core genres, but I like it like my venues, small a bit close and center stage, somewhere between in front with reach to the sides, reaching a fade towards the back of your head if possible. I appreciate any input you may have, thank you. : )

edit: My budget is up to $150, but doesn't necessarily need to be $150, I just want something that would shock me at that price point or up to.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #56,123 of 63,919
Can someone give me a recommendation to the right direction? I was looking at either the AST, ZAS, TFZ no.3, or just grab a ZS 10 Pro. I definitely want a punchy bass that can keep up speed wise, but I've been really wanting something a little more U shaped as opposed to V shaped where I can get that deep rich bass with healthy treble and a close as can be clean and accurate mid-range. Soundstage I actually like it a little bit closer and usually prefer a closed back, especially because I listen to my music very loud and don't want any sound bleed to effect those around me. I do use phone ear tips, I'll just be upgrading the cable down the road.

I listen to a lot of grunge, metal, alternative/hip-hop, indie/alternative indie, and nu-core genres, but I like it like my venues, small a bit close and center stage, somewhere between in front with reach to the sides, reaching a fade towards the back of your head if possible. I appreciate any input you may have, thank you. : )

Don't have the others, but skip ZS10 Pro and TFZ No. 3, those are V shaped sets. If you want a U shaped set, those are not contenders.
TFZ No. 3 also kills my ears at louder volumes (fletcher munson curve), the upper mids are boosted to the moon (this is noting that you listen to music very loud).

What's your budget BTW?

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #56,124 of 63,919
Don't have the others, but skip ZS10 Pro and TFZ No. 3, those are V shaped sets. If you want a U shaped set, those are not contenders.
TFZ No. 3 also kills my ears at louder volumes (fletcher munson curve), the upper mids are boosted to the moon (this is noting that you listen to music very loud).

What's your budget BTW?
Thank you, I appreciate your input. My range is up to $150, but it doesn't have to be $150, I should probably add that in my main post. It's been a while and I'm looking for something that will shock me at its price point. The ZS10Pro and TFZ I did understand are V-shape, just wasn't sure anyone's opinion if it may have better response in some regard for what I'm looking for, but I'll definitely take the TFZ off the list as I have heard people complain how rough it can be when bumped up, that's the part that worries on a unit is harshness that may come upping the volume, or if it gets quiet and if the richness fades on more subtle parts.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #56,125 of 63,919
Thank you, I appreciate your input. My range is up to $150, but it doesn't have to be $150, I should probably add that in my main post. It's been a while and I'm looking for something that will shock me at its price point. The ZS10Pro and TFZ I did understand are V-shape, just wasn't sure anyone's opinion if it may have better response in some regard for what I'm looking for, but I'll definitely take the TFZ off the list as I have heard people complain how rough it can be when bumped up, that's the part that worries on a unit is harshness that may come upping the volume, or if it gets quiet and if the richness fades on more subtle parts.
My pick for indie/grunge is the Blon Bl-03 or, maybe the Blon Bl-01 if you want less and faster bass. Add a decent cable and some spinfit cp160 in the appropriate size to the order though as the cable and tips are atrocious. The bass is more textured than the Zs10 pro. The blon Bl-03 maybe a little bloated in the bass at high volumes, the 01 is a little bit tamer, but also a little grainier in the treble. I can't comment on them; But the moondrop aria are meant to be good at around $80. They are on my radar, but I haven't bit on them yet.

Jul 17, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #56,127 of 63,919
Very nice photos!

I also could not help getting GS10 from Amazon.ca

What is prominent about GS10 - they are one of the most open designs. The letters are cut out, and behind is a quite large mesh.
One can literally blow/breath through them causing DD crinckling flex :wink:
Then they left me with an impression of quite ample bass, good stage, as well as as with the "30095 in the nozzle" treble, and not being exactly sure how other BAs are contributing...

P. S. Finally(!), I have received green/cyan AST today :)
Yes, I wish all 4 BA were in the shell. There is a screw where that 4th could have been located.

How long did you wait for the green AST? I have had a week or two between colors and iirc, it happened to me on the ASX, I ordered the wrong color and it was delayed. I did not attempt to order the green as it seemed like a longer wait.

Jul 17, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #56,128 of 63,919
Yes, I wish all 4 BA were in the shell. There is a screw where that 4th could have been located.

How long did you wait for the green AST? I have had a week or two between colors and iirc, it happened to me on the ASX, I ordered the wrong color and it was delayed. I did not attempt to order the green as it seemed like a longer wait.
My AST ordering actually was really harsh this time.
I started to firmly stick to a point of cancelling the order after 10 days of not shipping along with AE policies.
So I first ordered a silver one, in May and it could not be shipped - cancelled.
Then I re-ordered a green one in early June - still no luck.
For the third order I asked explicitly when it will be shipped, and still it was later than expected/promised, right after 10/11 days...
It was actually shipped on July 3, so I was really surprised how fast it was delivered.

So far, I really like AST - definitely most unlike KZ of all KZs - I would not possibly recognize it as KZ in blind tests - gentle sound, but everything for my enjoyment is more or less there, so I am keeping them in my ears :)

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #56,129 of 63,919
I started to firmly stick to a point of cancelling the order after 10 days of not shipping along with AE policies.
So I first ordered a silver one, in May and it could not be shipped - cancelled.
Then I re-ordered a green one in early June - still no luck.
For the third order I asked explicitly when it will be shipped, and still it was later than expected/promised, right after 10/11 days...
It was actually shipped on July 3, so I was really surprised how fast it was delivered.

So far, I really like AST - definitely most unlike KZ of all KZs - I would not possibly recognize it as KZ in blind tests - gentle sound, but everything for my enjoyment is more or less there, so I am keeping them in my ears :)
OK, I did not think the green was available at all in early June. I had a few people whispering in my ear to check out the AST, but waited to order the ZAS and AST together during the 6-18 sale. Still in transit but looking forward to hearing both.

Jul 17, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #56,130 of 63,919
So I first order a silver one, and it could not be shipped - cancell3d.
Then I re-ordered a green one - still no luck.
For the third order I asked explicitly and still it was shipped later than expected/promised, right after 10/11 days...
It was shipped on July 3, so I was really surprised how fast it was delivered.

So far, I really like AST - definitely most unlike KZ of all KZs - gentle sound, but everything for my enjoyment is more or less there, so I am keeping them in my ears :)
That's what I was thinking with the AST...kind of a gentle sound as you say.
I don't know if it changed or I got used to it but it just sounds normal to me now.
I ordered a black pair on sale from the Global store on June 21st, and they arrived July 1st.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back