Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 23, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #55,726 of 63,850
Loving my AST after using it for 6 days consecutively now, its especially good with R3 Pro Saber but my Plenue R and AST also sound great together. KZ got this one correct all 12 ways I think, its a bargain compared to just about anybody else’s 12 a side units and I’d be surprised if the AST wasn’t seriously close to sounding like totl pricewise iems.
If your new to the hobby and have budgetary concerns buy a set of KZ-AST’s and a Hyby R3 Pro Saber and for around $350 you’ll hear your music done up wonderfully! It is an amazing time for portable audio! :sunglasses::thumbsup:

Jun 23, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #55,727 of 63,850
Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #55,728 of 63,850
Loving my AST after using it for 6 days consecutively now, its especially good with R3 Pro Saber but my Plenue R and AST also sound great together. KZ got this one correct all 12 ways I think, its a bargain compared to just about anybody else’s 12 a side units and I’d be surprised if the AST wasn’t seriously close to sounding like totl pricewise iems.
If your new to the hobby and have budgetary concerns buy a set of KZ-AST’s and a Hyby R3 Pro Saber and for around $350 you’ll hear your music done up wonderfully! It is an amazing time for portable audio! :sunglasses::thumbsup:
+1 for the HiBy R3 Pro Saber rec. Those things are great. I love the flexibility they offer and the signal is so clean and not too heavily colored like so many DAPs. It may not be the best, due to the limitations of a closed-source OS with essentially no apps to use for streaming besides Tidal, but it's still a good option for the budget-conscious buyer. The R5 Saber is the next logical step up, but at a nearly $150 premium to get Android OS on it, the only justification I can find is if you legitimately need over 1W output per channel at 16ohms on balanced high gain mode. Having said that, I should be able to give impressions on it in a few weeks, as I ordered one for a friend for his b-day so he can find out exactly how much power the Kinera NanNa 2.0 can take before he can't tolerate the volume anymore. Should be nice to see how it compares to when I listened to them on my R3 Pro Saber.

Jun 23, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #55,729 of 63,850
...The Aria and AST share a kinda similar sound signature imho. The Aria is quieter compared to the AST. The Aria is overall smoother without any noticeable harshness whereas the AST has those peak on the treble that can annoy some people, but so far no sibilance. The bass is where the Aria differ from the AST. The mid bass is more elevated on the AST.

Any updated views on how the KZ AST compares with Moondrop Aria after the burn-in process?

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #55,730 of 63,850
No much changes after 24 hrs burn in, are too dark for me. Drums the odder, can't hear the cymbals.
Don't understand this kind of sound 'signature', no high frequencies.
Maybe this copy is not functional, I'm afraid have to send it back.
It is probably the AST fits your ears too well and there is too much seal. I had the same problem with the ASX and had to use smaller tips. Try half a size or one size smaller tips with it.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #55,731 of 63,850
It is probably the AST fits your ears too well and there is too much seal. I had the same problem with the ASX and had to use smaller tips. Try half a size or one size smaller tips with it.
I am actually going back to their original medium (white) tips. I usually use foamies but the downside is that foamies tend to attract dust so I try to use more silicone tips as it is easier to keep clean.

Jun 24, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #55,732 of 63,850
Any updated views on how the KZ AST compares with Moondrop Aria after the burn-in process?
The AST wins in instrument separation and detail retrieval imho. I love them both, but if you only have budget under $100 then the Aria is really a no brainer.

Jun 24, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #55,733 of 63,850
I am actually going back to their original medium (white) tips. I usually use foamies but the downside is that foamies tend to attract dust so I try to use more silicone tips as it is easier to keep clean.
I think in terms of stock tips, TRN's soft white tips work better for me thou I largely use SP100 and Spiral Dots now. You may try those silicone wrapped foam tips if you prefer foams.

Jun 24, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #55,734 of 63,850
The AST wins in instrument separation and detail retrieval imho. I love them both, but if you only have budget under $100 then the Aria is really a no brainer.
I still haven't hit the purchase button for the AST yet... I really worry there is too much bass and too little treble - too early roll-off. It is USD90 with coupon and I just bought 3 cheap IEMs (one of them is GREAT!) and the Variations. Do I need one more pair...?

Jun 24, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #55,735 of 63,850
I still haven't hit the purchase button for the AST yet... I really worry there is too much bass and too little treble - too early roll-off.
That's my concern as well which is why I'm going to wait until crinacle (In Ear Fidelity) or oratory1990 (AutoEq) measures them. However, if they do respond as well to EQ as the ASX does (which I happen to own and are my favorite KZ IEM with EQ) I'm sure they'll sound great in that context.

I won't purchase until trusted measurements arrive and setting appears for the AST on the AutoEQ github. Most IEMs are suck central without EQ anyway... Before EQ:📱🎧🎶🤔 After EQ: 📱🎛️🎧🎶🤘🏾🤓🤘🏾

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #55,737 of 63,850
The R3 is a great dap....fits in your pocket easily

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #55,738 of 63,850
Do you have the Spinfit CP360 available to test with the AST? If so, let me know what you think about it using them.

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #55,739 of 63,850
That's my concern as well which is why I'm going to wait until crinacle (In Ear Fidelity) or oratory1990 (AutoEq) measures them. However, if they do respond as well to EQ as the ASX does (which I happen to own and are my favorite KZ IEM with EQ) I'm sure they'll sound great in that context.

I won't purchase until trusted measurements arrive and setting appears for the AST on the AutoEQ github. Most IEMs are suck central without EQ anyway... Before EQ:📱🎧🎶🤔 After EQ: 📱🎛️🎧🎶🤘🏾🤓🤘🏾
I think all measurements are similar. They all use the same IEC711 coupler which I also have one. I am not sure if it is just me or the characteristics of using pick noise to measure SPL, insertion depth, cable, source, etc. don't really affect the measurements. I can always get tepatedy results and I always use 15 times averaging so the measurements are even more reliable. Anyway, to save my time thinking I just bought a black AST... going to go back to normal price after a day and a half. Hope this can stop me buying too many IEMs...

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #55,740 of 63,850

Users who are viewing this thread

Back