Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 23, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #55,711 of 64,069
its a BA iem....they certainly dont need that much power. Its more important to check the output impedance, as that is likely to affect the FR depending on how high/low it is.
Ah ok it’s the output impedance then, AST sounds out of focus with low gain and sounds fantastic with high gain. The output impedance might have changed FR as you mentioned.

Jun 23, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #55,712 of 64,069
That doesn't tell me really, other than I was right. It would be more useful if I could see the measurements in relation to the Harman IE target.
They both have a bit off harman curve, W Shape tuning with rolled off treble I think it may be suitable to phrase

Jun 23, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #55,713 of 64,069
That doesn't tell me really, other than I was right. It would be more useful if I could see the measurements in relation to the Harman IE target.
graph (20).png

(BGGAR doesnt have the harman target in his graph db.)

Ah ok it’s the output impedance then, AST sounds out of focus with low gain and sounds fantastic with high gain. The output impedance might have changed FR as you mentioned.
Dont think low-gain vs high-gain will have an effect on the OI though....

Jun 23, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #55,714 of 64,069
graph (20).png
(BGGAR doesnt have the harman target in his graph db.)

Dont think low-gain vs high-gain will have an effect on the OI though....
Technically maybe, but I trust my ear, otherwise I wouldn’t spent so much time&money for this hobby🤔

Jun 23, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #55,717 of 64,069
Jun 23, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #55,719 of 64,069
I've heard some things about the missile launcher BA array sometimes needing significant burn-in to work properly (another thing which really doesn't sit right with me, since BA drivers should at least be quite audible straight from manufacturing unless they've been damaged).
Check this out. After 8 days of burn in the FiiO FH5s measured differently and in the frequencies associated with the balanced armatures.

Jun 23, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #55,720 of 64,069
Jun 23, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #55,721 of 64,069
I understand that fit can have a rather major influence on the measurements.
The angle, depth and postition have major impact on them yes. But different measuring setups could also affect it, like if you are using a dongle or soundcard for the IEC711 and what output source you are using for the iem.

Jun 23, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #55,722 of 64,069
Check this out. After 8 days of burn in the FiiO FH5s measured differently and in the frequencies associated with the balanced armatures.

quite a difference! If every other setup remained the same, I think that difference in FR is pretty audible. I'm interested to see how other measurements could change, like attack/decay.

Jun 23, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #55,723 of 64,069

It is good to note when there is a measurable change in FR following burn-in. It just really isn't particularly significant in this example. And it certainly isn't the difference between whether something sounds like it is working or not. I've seen some burn-in charts for DD earphones where the entire shape of the sound signature can change following burn-in, whereas you usually see more minor changes, if any, in BA sets. Of course, the membrane size and material as well as how the actuator is suspended and articulated, even what damping material they're using on the actuator to prevent contact with the coils or magnets can impact how much, if any, a change youll find from burning in your BA sets. It's why it can always be useful to do initial thoughts on tuning and then do at least a brief burn-in before doing the full-depth review of a set.

PS: dynamic drivers that actually feature a rubber, silicone, fabric, or foam surround like a full-sized speaker woofer can have very significant changes in performance after burning in, as the mechanical spring forces of the surround and spider are magnitudes greater than what you'll find in tiny little earphone DDs. If you see anything marketed for featuring a "long-throw" or "high excursion" driver in am earphone, you should make sure to burn it in before making your final notes about it, since the FR can change pretty dramatically.

Jun 23, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #55,724 of 64,069

Still can hear the cymbals just fine tho it isn't as forward like the ZAX (I am using ZAX just for comparison). If you are looking for treble that "bite" you then the AST will disappoint you.

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #55,725 of 64,069
any impression from you yet?
How does it stand compared to mid tier?
Can it compete with Moondrop Blessing 2, LZ A7, Believe alike?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back