Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 21, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #55,636 of 63,850
šŸ˜‚ thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m doing.
Tried 10-20 cables, and went back to stock cable, the 10khz+ with stock cable is more elevated, making it bit more resolving. But the overall tuning now I feel it L(U) shape with recessed 10khz+. Compared to ZAX type itā€™s definitely darker same to ASX.
KZ probably heard many voices of ā€œKZ treble is too peakyā€ and darkened that part I guess.
KZ definitely has some scary FR graphs as the skeletons in it's closet, but it's still not quite as PTSD-inducing as some of the stuff TRN has out there. They really need to get in touch with the guy who tuned the original V90 and just make him a permanent employee.

Jun 21, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #55,637 of 63,850
+1 on going back to stock cable, and a major +1 for Hyby R3 Pro Saber. These little DAPS sound so good to me I rarely use any of my others since it arrived. Probably the best sounding DAP Iā€™ve owned!

Jun 21, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #55,638 of 63,850
I don't know if what I bought count as a real DAC as I got a Hidizs S9 Pro as I wanted something as mobile as possible and without any non-replaceable battery inside. I considered the Astell&Kern PEE51 but since it was only available through some shady Aliexpress stores I decided to get the Hidizs.
Definitely looks like a good option for a mini DAC. 200mW is a good output on balanced for the vast majority of Chi-fi until you start involving a bunch of parallel crossed over drivers or EST drivers. You may want even more power for those if they're pretty high impedance, but you should more than be able to tell the character of them on the DAC you got. Nice choice. I love the ESS chips, because they just sound so clean. There is a reason they're one of the standards to compare against.

Jun 21, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #55,639 of 63,850
Tried 10-20 cables, and went back to stock cable, the 10khz+ with stock cable is more elevated, making it bit more resolving. But the overall tuning now I feel it L(U) shape with recessed 10khz+. Compared to ZAX type itā€™s definitely darker same to ASX.
KZ probably heard many voices of ā€œKZ treble is too peakyā€ and darkened that part I guess.

The XINHS cable is be just beautiful but being stiffer and heavy some problems occur: (1) it really creates some pressure points on your ears; (2) whenever I tilt my head the cable move as a whole and lifts the earhooks and in doing so it is constantly acting as a lever pushing the IEM out of my ear and (3) it's nice to have a cable that is light as a feather, occupies less space and is more confortable on the ears.

I guess I'll stock some of those KZ Gold cables. :)

Jun 21, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #55,640 of 63,850
As for cables, I started using XINHS 8 core copper & pure silver cable and then switched back to the stock cable which I've been since and honestly the sound is absolutely the same.

I have been using Spinfit CP360 L since the beginning and didn't even bother trying the stock ones.
My go-to cable for just about everything is the one that came with the Shuoer Tape Pro. The IEM may not have met expectations, but their cable sure is nice. I'll probably need to invest in a pure copper one for the Starseas to reinvigorate their bass response at some point, but I'm really more invested in trying to find IEMs that sound good when running off the FiiO LC-BT2, since convenience cannot be ignored when out-and-about, and a Bluetooth neckband with passable power output and a ridiculously long battery life is hard to ignore. It plays very nicely with the CCA CKX, but at high volumes I can hear where they've had to compromise on the noise floor by omitting more power-hungry DAC/amp chips like the ones from ESS. Maybe they'll make a more premium one sometime. It's definitely a product I'd buy.

Jun 21, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #55,641 of 63,850
At current state, there is a huge gap between my midrange multidriver benchmark Mangird Tea(Dark signature) and AST(bass boost and dark)
12BA does add separation capability but the separation is not coherent, so instrumental separation (for classical music and large scale ensemble) is a bit hard to ask. Works great for electronic music.

Iā€™d try burn AST in for 30 hours and see if the veil is gone.
I believe that I noticed that difference between the AST and my ZSX exactly because of classical music. When I got the AST and listened to Vivaldi the music seemed less spacial as if all the sounds have merged together in some sense... I still believe the ZSX has more air but I also could perceive some sounds as if they were distorted and with the AST is like everything is more polished.

(1)

(2)

(3)

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #55,642 of 63,850
At current state, there is a huge gap between my midrange multidriver benchmark Mangird Tea(Dark signature) and AST(bass boost and dark)
12BA does add separation capability but the separation is not coherent, so instrumental separation (for classical music and large scale ensemble) is a bit hard to ask. Works great for electronic music.

Iā€™d try burn AST in for 30 hours and see if the veil is gone.
In electronic music I believe the AST is amazing with this one:

(1)

(2)

Jun 21, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #55,643 of 63,850
I believe that I noticed that difference between the AST and my ZSX exactly because of classical music. When I got the AST and listened to Vivaldi the music seemed less spacial as if all the sounds have merged together in some sense... I still believe the ZSX has more air but I also could perceive some sounds as if they were distorted and with the AST is like everything is more polished.

(1)

(2)

(3)

I love some symphonic orchestral music. I was doing some tip rolling on my CKX to test out the Sony gel eartips, which are a more bulbous, extended dome eartip made of an extra soft silicone. They're quite comfortable and seal well, but they detract from the bass gain, which wasn't what I'm looking for on the CKX. While they aren't bass light, they also aren't bass monsters, so dropping that gain by .75-1dB is noticeable. Went back to my Sony Triple Comforts and everything got that luxuriously rich bass back. If you do want to tame something with way too much bass and the stem of the nozzle is long enough to support using them, the Sony Gel eartips are certainly an interesting choice. They didn't seem to give any mid or treble gain, so you don't need to worry about them turning your otherwise tame IEM into an ice pick of treble, and the staging still sounded pretty good. It just lowered the bass. You can sometimes find them on eBay packaged with the Triple Comfort eartips in a multi-pack. Just make sure that the dome on the opaque eartips is extra thick and foamy, because some sellers are being instructed by their distributers to mislabel the Sony Hybrid eartips as foam eartips, when they are not.

Jun 21, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #55,644 of 63,850
Did you know that KZ AST also refers to Astana, the capital of Kazakhstan?

Jun 21, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #55,645 of 63,850
So came upon these in a box the other day and pretty sure my last post out here about them I thought they up and died like they had for so many others but low and behold I just for grins pulled them out the box and hooked them up to this old sim-less iPhone 6 and I can't believe after all these years they still work and function properly :scream: LOL

These might take some of you guys back a couple years:rolling_eyes:

Their Alive!.jpg

Jun 21, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #55,647 of 63,850
It sounds amazing with the 24-core graphene cable thou I use spiral dot tips.
I'm curious, how many more times expensive is that cable than the IEM? Presumably you didn't buy it to go with that one in particular, but it certainly is an amusing dichotomy.

Jun 21, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #55,648 of 63,850
I'm curious, how many more times expensive is that cable than the IEM? Presumably you didn't buy it to go with that one in particular, but it certainly is an amusing dichotomy.
About the same price as the IEM. TBH it is always a blind purchase for me getting these cables and a hit-or-miss so I really have bought quite a few and about 70% are good ones and the rest just mediocre. I tried that cable with my other IEMs and it sounded quite bad to my ear with single DD and 1DD + 1BA setups.
I have posted my impressions here if you are interested:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low...ng-for-buck-cable-thread.891911/post-16417800
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low...ng-for-buck-cable-thread.891911/post-16286246
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low...ng-for-buck-cable-thread.891911/post-16318739
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low...ng-for-buck-cable-thread.891911/post-16338155

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #55,649 of 63,850
With more time on Starsea tonight, here's what I think so far...

Starsea("amazing bass" setting):
+ Really good, straight up studio sound, with bumping bass(as intended..?).
+ Resolution/transparency is very impressive, at this price or whatever. Far clearer & cleaner than AST.
+ Bass is generally good, but sometimes impresses me more.
- Revealing, balanced/level treble shows all the details, therefore can become nearly fatiguing. ("Standard tuning" and "balanced" settings add brightness/fatigue, so I don't like them)
- Imaging and sense of depth/space clearly inferior to AST.
Wow Factor = ~7/10

AST:
+ Sounds like a full-on tube amp; warm, dark, and smooth like honey.
+ Bass is huge.
+ Treble is noticeably duller than Starsea; darker, smoother; beautiful and non-fatiguing.
+ Sharp imaging & great space/depth help AST come alive.
- Bass is huge.
Wow Factor = ~10/10

photo_2021-06-22_00-16-36.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #55,650 of 63,850
10 hours of burn-in, wow!!!

I have to say not many BA shows this much of burn in response like AST, it definitely need some time to get treble units to kick in. It is probably their missile launcher ā€œmatrix ā€œ 50024x6 treble compound unitā€™s nature. This launcher need some time to get hot for the first time use.
6694215B-33BD-4A53-95B3-AA54DAB18B98.jpeg

-AST is definitely a darker tuned, but itā€™s nicely done like Mangird Tea, 6khz is not offending so the ā€œthā€ sound is not harsh at anytime.
-Bass boosted warm tuning, after all
-Reminds me of CCA CSN for mid range, upscaled
-KZ SKS(tws) has similar tuning (bass-boost with warm and dark tuning from 10khz+)
-AST works ok with ipad dongle too, but I found this IEM is power hungry, high gain mode on DAP is recommended

I will burn in 100 hours and now interested in full review. Current quick rough guess is 75-89/100, anywhere near B+~A+, best of KZ.
@15hours of burn-in
Bass: A
Mid: B+
Treble: A+
Air : A
Diffusion Field: B~A
Resolution: B~A
Positioning: B
Layering: A

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back