Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 25, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #55,366 of 63,892
Someone posted this audio site for tests on the forums so tried it with the KS10. Not sure if iems are meant ot be in phase or not but my KS10 is louder on the out of phase test.
Could some one report if they have the same with any KS iem?
https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

May 25, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #55,367 of 63,892
May 25, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #55,368 of 63,892
May 25, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #55,369 of 63,892
Cheers for that, kind of wished my KS10 appeared in phase which by default doesn`t appear to be. Don`t think (even though not really possible) turning cables around would alter that tbh.

Was just wondering if this was KS approach or my pair a tad iffy.
You can take a simple 2-pin cable (if you Fiio one is not(?)) and experiment with all 4 different polarity combinations with your KZ ZS10 pro.

Having two channels in an opposite phase to each other is very noticeable by collapsing the stage, etc.

Reversing polarity of both channels often can work OK, at least in my limited experience- neither DDs nor most BAs are polarity-sensitive, the circuitry may but rare (in order to be more consumer-proof :wink:) in my understanding.

Out of my 20+ KZs I did not have any polarity problems and have not heard much about such problems here, though definitely things can happen...

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #55,370 of 63,892
You can take a simple 2-pin cable (if you Fiio one is not(?)) and experiment with all 4 different polarity combinations with your KZ ZS10 pro.

Having two channels in an opposite phase to each other is very noticeable by collapsing the stage, etc.

Reversing polarity of both channels often can work OK, at least in my limited experience- neither DDs nor most BAs are polarity-sensitive, the circuitry may but rare (in order to be more consumer-proof :wink:) in my understanding.

Out of my 20+ KZs I did not have any polarity problems and have not heard much about such problems here, though definitely things can happen...
Ah maybe some wires crossed ( no pun), right left polarity is not an issue but was questioning the phase via the test on site I posted. Probably doesn`t make a difference in general, just wondered mate.

May 25, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #55,371 of 63,892
As a guy who swears by KZ's old budget offerings, I've held off buying any of KZ's new generation of IEMs..... until now that is.

B-Roll-1.gif

Z0SCK7l.jpg

Behold, the KZ EDX, my first modern KZ IEM. At $7 US, it sits at a very cheap price-point, but does it sound more than what its cheap price suggests?

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
On first listen I was pretty amazed. The first song I played was Awake by Tycho and I loved how it rendered the treble so crisp and airy. Mids seemed natural and the bass, while lacking, had great punch when connected to an amplifier with the bass gain on.

However once I started playing anything other than Tycho it became clear that the EDX wasn't actually that great. In reality, the mids are actually very recessed, especially with EDM tracks. The treble also gets pretty sibilant as well. So basically you're looking at an extreme V shape. Overall, the sound presentation for most tracks, especially EDM, appears to be very thin and hollowed out and lack any sense of body or foundation. The EDX actually kinda reminds of the TRN M10 which has a very similar sound signature, and that includes the hollowed out mids part. I'd say the TRN M10 is a tad better.

For the price I can't fault it, but honestly you'd be better off paying a bit more for something like the old but gold KZ ED9, which destroys the EDX in every aspect (especially WRT the mids). The Sony MH755 also comes to mind as a far better option and even cheaper (tho the MH755 is rare now). Even some cheap Panasonic Ergofits would destroy this. Also I don't know if they sell it anymore, but the KZ ATR was around the same price and it definitely trounces the EDX.

VERDICT
Unless your music collection consists entirely of well-mastered acoustical audio (such as any song from Tycho), then I would not recommend the EDX. In fact I'd stay far away from it if you like your mids.

May 25, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #55,372 of 63,892
As a guy who swears by KZ's old budget offerings, I've held off buying any of KZ's new generation of IEMs..... until now that is.

B-Roll-1.gif

Z0SCK7l.jpg

Behold, the KZ EDX, my first modern KZ IEM. At $7 US, it sits at a very cheap price-point, but does it sound more than what its cheap price suggests?

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
On first listen I was pretty amazed. The first song I played was Awake by Tycho and I loved how it rendered the treble so crisp and airy. Mids seemed natural and the bass, while lacking, had great punch when connected to an amplifier with the bass gain on.

However once I started playing anything other than Tycho it became clear that the EDX wasn't actually that great. In reality, the mids are actually very recessed, especially with EDM tracks. The treble also gets pretty sibilant as well. So basically you're looking at an extreme V shape. Overall, the sound presentation for most tracks, especially EDM, appears to be very thin and hollowed out and lack any sense of body or foundation. The EDX actually kinda reminds of the TRN M10 which has a very similar sound signature, and that includes the hollowed out mids part. I'd say the TRN M10 is a tad better.

For the price I can't fault it, but honestly you'd be better off paying a bit more for something like the old but gold KZ ED9, which destroys the EDX in every aspect (especially WRT the mids). The Sony MH755 also comes to mind as a far better option and even cheaper (tho the MH755 is rare now). Even some cheap Panasonic Ergofits would destroy this. Also I don't know if they sell it anymore, but the KZ ATR was around the same price and it definitely trounces the EDX.

VERDICT
Unless your music collection consists entirely of well-mastered acoustical audio (such as any song from Tycho), then I would not recommend the EDX. In fact I'd stay far away from it if you like your mids.
Agree, EDX due to its warm U-shape tuning matches wity acoustic songs very well, not a perfect match for like EDM

May 26, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #55,374 of 63,892
I'm a noob. Just bought KZ ZS10Pro. Using it with Hip DAC and can't turn the volume knob up past about the 8 position or it's too loud. It seems to track alright, but I would like to be able to turn it to 11, or even 10 would be good. The dynamics and even resolution don't really show up until the 10, but then it is too loud. I like the sound signature. What KZ iems have the lowest sensitivity? I have KZ Ate and can turn up to 10-11.

May 26, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #55,375 of 63,892
I'm a noob. Just bought KZ ZS10Pro. Using it with Hip DAC and can't turn the volume knob up past about the 8 position or it's too loud. It seems to track alright, but I would like to be able to turn it to 11, or even 10 would be good. The dynamics and even resolution don't really show up until the 10, but then it is too loud. I like the sound signature. What KZ iems have the lowest sensitivity? I have KZ Ate and can turn up to 10-11.
You may consider investing in IEMatch - it is designed for cases like this of a too powerful amp.

May 26, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #55,377 of 63,892

B-Roll-1.gif

Z0SCK7l.jpg

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

VERDICT
Primary reason for this is that they're targeted towards causal listeners who are trying to buy a decent IEM to drive through their phones. They would find them "super detailed" and "clear" with "mind-blowing" bass. For folks who have some experience with audio gear, they will certainly find them too splashy or mids too recessed and etc.

EDX scale beautifully with wide bore or foam tips. Treble gets some semblance thanks to welcome boost in mids and some air in upper treble region. Cymbals are bit too bright but it's KZ what else can one expect at $7?

I'm usually using them BGVP W01 tips and little EQ. They sound very good and definitely punch above their price tag.

May 26, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #55,378 of 63,892
Primary reason for this is that they're targeted towards causal listeners who are trying to buy a decent IEM to drive through their phones. They would find them "super detailed" and "clear" with "mind-blowing" bass. For folks who have some experience with audio gear, they will certainly find them too splashy or mids too recessed and etc.

EDX scale beautifully with wide bore or foam tips. Treble gets some semblance thanks to welcome boost in mids and some air in upper treble region. Cymbals are bit too bright but it's KZ what else can one expect at $7?

I'm usually using them BGVP W01 tips and little EQ. They sound very good and definitely punch above their price tag.
That's true, but it still wouldn't hurt to spend three more extra dollars to get something like the KZ ED9. IMO the jump in sound quality is threefold, so much so that even casual users would notice a striking improvement.

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #55,379 of 63,892
That's true, but it still wouldn't hurt to spend three more extra dollars to get something like the KZ ED9. IMO the jump in sound quality is threefold, so much so that even casual users would notice a striking improvement.
I totally agree. ED9 at $10 still whoops many IEMs. EDX is more about convenience of cable swapping than pure SQ improvement. The overall package is very compelling for EDX whereas ED9 is more for those seeking genuine sound improvement.

May 27, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #55,380 of 63,892
Was browsing the groups I'm part of on FB. And then I saw this...

AST First Look

I don't know the person (think she's a seller? not sure) that posted it nor the purpose of said video. But here are the things I found interesting:

1. Box looks to be the same as the "higher-end" KZs.
2. The AST looks like the DQ6 on steroid.
3. It seems to be using that very picky nozzle. Please, KZ change it for your next releases.
4. Cable's different! 8 cores! FINALLY!

*Screenshotted the AST with the stock cable from the video

1622114125857.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back