Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 18, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #54,301 of 64,190
Unfortunately, I do not have the ZAX just yet.

However, I will be ordering one set within the next few to see what all the hubbub is about.

with an upgrade cable to compliment the color combination.

I need to hear for myself how the ZAX differ from the KZS10 Pro

I ordered the ZAX for the same reason as you...I want to hear the differences for myself between the KZS10 Pro & ZAX. I love the KZS10 Pro for blues/rock

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #54,303 of 64,190
Before we stop talking about KZ ZAX. I want you all to check an album called
"Mangekyo" (1975) by Yoshiko Sai.

I'm not making this post because it's just a suggestion for any headphones. There's a lot of vocal dynamics on this album, good soundstage, and this is a great representation of timbre, details and attack/decay patterns. Even though I wouldn't classify this album as the greatest ever to exist(both in terms of art and as a testing material), it will show you what ZAX is capable of doing and what it's lacking(a reference to @tgx78 )

Remember: this is subjective. But I hope I would be able to help someone with this. Though it's hard to find this album in good quality, this is due to the fact that it's old and unpopular. If you will be able to find it, do yourself a favour, turn off the lights and listen to this in a quiet & comfortable place.

Album cover:

albumcover.jpg

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #54,304 of 64,190
I need to hear for myself how the ZAX differ from the ZS10 Pro.

graph-48.png
Like, is ZAX the purple one..? Where do these non-color corresponding graph names keep coming from... +_+

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #54,305 of 64,190
Hey there. I posted my thoughts and follow-up explorations in these posts:
Extended Impressions
Follow-up discussion on what the switches actually do
My EQ setting for the dual-driver mode
Listening update

In summary, I rate them pretty highly in terms of their compatibility with my specific preferences, but not because either of the stock tunings are done particularly well or because the ability to switch between those tunings is particularly compelling. You will see that I have had to change the cable, change the eartips, and pair them with a fairly powerful source and aggressive DSP to get them to sound acceptable. Is it worth it? For me, I'll have to say yes, very much so.

Thanks! Your review/impression is so detailed. I think I am totally fine with EQ but the X1 seems to require too much EQ to sound reasonable. I also find it interesting that the switch actually disable the bass DD. Now I need to consider if I should get the ST-10s instead! :sweat_smile: :L3000:

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #54,306 of 64,190
Got my KZ Z1 Pro and was really satisfied for a few days until the right unit started to malfunction with gradually decreasing volume over the span of a couple of days. It was barely noticeable at first but now the volume of the right unit is not even half of the left one. Anyone with a guess of what the issue might be and how to fix it?

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #54,307 of 64,190
Thanks! Your review/impression is so detailed. I think I am totally fine with EQ but the X1 seems to require too much EQ to sound reasonable. I also find it interesting that the switch actually disable the bass DD. Now I need to consider if I should get the ST-10s instead! :sweat_smile: :L3000:
You could try the Smabat NCO instead. No need for EQ on these.

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #54,308 of 64,190
Can anyone compare BLON 01 to ZAX? Or is 01 just not at ZAX's level?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #54,309 of 64,190
Can anyone compare BLON 01 to ZAX? Or is 01 just not at ZAX's level?
I admit I don't have the BLON 01, I have listened to it at a friends place. But this was a few months ago so take this with a grain of salt.

The ZAX is quite a bit better than the 01. This partly a preference thing as the ZAX is more balanced in comparison to the 01 which is has a more bass heavy tuning but both are technically v-shaped. That said the ZAX has better soundstage, imaging, is more resolving and has better fitment.
And if I'm correct that the TC-01 in your signature is the Tripowin TC-01, taking that in to consideration I personally wouldn't bother with the 01 as the TC-01 is said to be a step up from the 01.

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #54,310 of 64,190
Kudos to Amazon, the ZAX has arrived .

I will listen to a couple albums tonight while in bed. I put on foam ear tips because no matter what I try, I end up back to them.
I do like the KZ tips though.

DSC05314.JPG
DSC05319.JPG
DSC05323.JPG

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #54,312 of 64,190
Just got the ZAX. Very early impressions, I’m liking what I’m hearing. Tuning does have a lot of similarities to the ZS10 Pro, but execution is MUCH better on the ZAX. Much better technicalities, in particular DD speed, resolution, and definition. ZS10 Pro, while still a nice, fun IEM, sounds a bit like mud in comparison.

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #54,313 of 64,190
The ZAX is quite a bit better than the 01.
Cool beans. I figured this was the case. Real shame about the fit :/ I ordered DQ6 yesterday, but decided to cancel it, since ZAX will win there, too. I need a ZAX 2.0(and 3.0!). Where are you hiding. . . ?!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #54,314 of 64,190
Cool beans. I figured this was the case. Real shame about the fit :/ I ordered DQ6 yesterday, but decided to cancel it, since ZAX will win there, too. I need a ZAX 2.0(and 3.0!). Where are you hiding. . . ?!
Imagine a KZ ZAX x Crinacle, with a very similar tuning to the Dawn, Dusk, Yume, Clairvoyance. 🤤

Users who are viewing this thread

Back