Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 28, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #54,001 of 63,883
Little comparo of measurements from a few of their recent models. They've got a specific sound in mind it seems. DQ6 is the best of the bunch imo.

I was interested in that and just checked ZAX vs Harman target curve(both normalised at 60db), and it looks relatively close. Even though 50-200hz seems to be more emphasised, and Harman target curve starts to fall at 200hz, KZ tuning seems to go all the way up to 400hz. Then an uplift from 1.5k up to 2.5k(if you'll play with EQ, you'll get why).

Blue - ZAX, grey - Harman target.

2.png

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #54,002 of 63,883
My KZ DQ6 arrived today. Without even trying them on, I have to say this is a nice looking IEM!

Jan 28, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #54,003 of 63,883
I read the latest few pages here last night and ordered a Silver pair of the CKX and just got the shipping notice its coming tomorrow by Amazons drivers. We have several Amazon warehouses near me so I get lucky sometimes..... I’ll update as things happen!

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #54,004 of 63,883
My KZ DQ6 arrived today. Without even trying them on, I have to say this is a nice looking IEM!
Also, these things are so sensitive! Almost have to run them at the lowest volume setting to get a normal volume level.

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #54,005 of 63,883
Well, Thanks to getting back on Head-Fi after about 10 years away, I made my first purchase today. And thanks to this forum I'm starting relatively cheap. :wink:
I just got the Meizu MasterHIFI Audio D/A Converter Headphone Amplifier, KZ ZST, and BLON BL01. I know it's not much but I am very excited to get back into this hobby. I can't wait until friday.
Welcome back! Geez...10 years! Sounds like me. I joined in 2005, posted a bit on the full sized headphones section and never posted again until around 2018/2019. That's when (thanks to a YouTube guy who was also a headfi member) was posting video reviews of iems. After a horrible experience with iems back in 2005, I swore I'd never ever own another one. Yet, over a decade later, here's this dude describing some sub $100 iems from KZ. Now, I'm kinda hooked on less expensive iem gear. Things have really progressed alot, since you been gone. I own the Blon-01 and I like it alot.

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #54,006 of 63,883
I was interested in that and just checked ZAX vs Harman target curve(both normalised at 60db), and it looks relatively close. Even though 50-200hz seems to be more emphasised, and Harman target curve starts to fall at 200hz, KZ tuning seems to go all the way up to 400hz. Then an uplift from 1.5k up to 2.5k(if you'll play with EQ, you'll get why).

Blue - ZAX, grey - Harman target.

2.png

Every time I return to the ZAX, I'm again impressed by its overall tonality, treble extension and technicalities. These have had a ton of staying power in my collection for sure.

Jan 29, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #54,009 of 63,883
IMG_20210129_095648.jpg

And I love my DQ6 :) The complete setup makes this a nice pair of 50$ iem 😃

Jan 29, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #54,010 of 63,883
In regards to the ZAX, and really, pretty much everything KZ has ever come out with, my only real gripe is the bass elevation starting to rise too early - it starts going north of neutral as early as 400Hz. I realize it's done for warmth and musicality and sometimes it works but other times it comes off as a little muddy. So that's a part of their "house sound" I don't really like. I just EQ up the sub bass a little and bring down the 150-300hz range to reduce the bleed a bit and even though it sounds notably colder, it works for me.

On to another topic: KZ's next flagship needs to be a tribrid. I feel like they're seriously nearing the limit of what they can do with DD + BA in a certain price range.$100ish planar IEMs are starting to be a thing, so maybe they can replace the midrange BAs with a planar driver next time around and hike up the price accordingly. Or maybe even hook up the planar driver as a full range so it adds just a little magic to the whole spectrum. ESTs I feel are a long long time away from trickling down into budget IEMs, but planar seems feasible to me.

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #54,012 of 63,883
I'm just a small time newbie with a pair of old Klipsch iems till I came across the ZAX. Blew me away with how much better they perform at a fraction of the price. It's opened up the whole world of chi-fi and I think I am obsessed. Is this the rabbit hole...

Welcome to the club! KZ is often a gateway drug to Head-Fi syndrome; once you've been hooked, there's no turning back!

the next significant AliExpress sale is in March, plan your requisitions accordingly

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #54,014 of 63,883
I'm just a small time newbie with a pair of old Klipsch iems till I came across the ZAX. Blew me away with how much better they perform at a fraction of the price. It's opened up the whole world of chi-fi and I think I am obsessed. Is this the rabbit hole...
What drew me in was something very similar. I thought my soundmagic P22bt over ears were the best sound you could get for a reasonable price. The technical capabilities of these chi fi iems are quite extraordinary though. As someone who came from sony single driver units their is no comparison with what kz can do. I have only just started collecting. So far I have the ATE, ZST and the ZS10. Watching Judge Dredd on netflix recently with the ZS10 was an astounding experience. The feeling of sounds coming in from far away, the immersive nature of the experience transformed a rather okay film in to a thrilling experience. A lightbulb moment. Have ordered the ZSN. Might try an all BA IEM next. Mulling over the As10, As06 and as an outlier the cca c12. Thanks for all the posts here. I learned so much from reading along.

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #54,015 of 63,883
Welcome back! Geez...10 years! Sounds like me. I joined in 2005, posted a bit on the full sized headphones section and never posted again until around 2018/2019. That's when (thanks to a YouTube guy who was also a headfi member) was posting video reviews of iems. After a horrible experience with iems back in 2005, I swore I'd never ever own another one. Yet, over a decade later, here's this dude describing some sub $100 iems from KZ. Now, I'm kinda hooked on less expensive iem gear. Things have really progressed alot, since you been gone. I own the Blon-01 and I like it alot.

I'm waiting on the Amazon truck now. I'll post my first impressions later. The time flew by thats for sure. You see the kids in my avatar? They are not so little anymore. :wink: I'll be looking into source material now. I got rid of all my CD's years ago. I really wish I still had the hard drive with all of them ripped to lossless. About 250 cd's worth. All gone. I lost the drive during a move. Oh well, I guess I'll be looking into streaming music now. Good excuse to find new music online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back