Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 27, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #53,986 of 63,884
I've never seen mentions of kz aptx HD neckband, i ordered one and hoping to see a feedback, gonna pair with either the kz as10 or cca c12

Audible hiss at low volumes. Disappears in to the background at normal volume levels. I was in the habit of nodding off to sleep with podcasts at very low levels. The pods were inaudible due to the hiss. Connection however is good. Never dropped out on me. Battery warning level is poor. To be honest I have it paired with zs10s and I use it a lot. Very happy with its sound. It sounds far better than the sony wi c 400 i paid 55 euro for. Cable a bit too long I would think for jogging.

Jan 27, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #53,987 of 63,884
It's nowhere near as simple as if it's a BA, it will have "twangy" guitars or have a metallic timbre.

I've heard plenty of dynamic driver iems that sound more shrill than BA iems and plenty of BA iems that sound very warm and dark.

It just lies in the skill of the tuner, poorly tuned ones will show the poor characteristics of said driver while well tuned ones will be able to overcome said characteristics.

Sure, but I made that kind of comparison for a reason, your ordinary LP usually has a lot of sustain because of humbuckers, guitar's body specifically made and other things, which is then your DD driver.
BA, on the other hand, some people don't like them as they sound artificial because of their fast attack/decay type of response.

It's not just warmth in terms of frequency response graph. Both guitars and IEM and headphones, in general, have a massive variety of technical details that you need to consider before getting one.

I just thought if a guy said about "there is no meat in electric guitars", he'd be familiar with that kind of comparison that I gave.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #53,988 of 63,884
Sure, but I made that kind of comparison for a reason, your ordinary LP usually has a lot of sustain because of humbuckers, guitar's body specifically made and other things, which is then your DD driver.
BA, on the other hand, some people don't like them as they sound artificial because of their fast attack/decay type of response.

It's not just warmth in terms of frequency response graph. Both guitars and IEM and headphones, in general, have a massive variety of technical details that you need to consider before getting one.
I think for me its more like the difference between metal string and nylon string on an acoustic guitar.

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #53,989 of 63,884
After +100 hours of burning, some measurements of my DQ6s...

Before and after burning, no differences can be seen on screen

Comparo between my nears DD models (and LZ A7 for ref...)

DQ6 GREEN VS EDX ORANGE.jpg
DQ6 GREEN VS BL03 DARK GREEN.jpg
DQ6 GREEN VS BL01 RED.jpg
DQ6 GREEN VS LZ A7 BLUE.jpg

A really good tuning from KZ !

For debat between tips or cables swap...

KZ DQ6 - Cables comparo.jpg
KZ DQ6 - Tips comparo.jpg

Don't spent too much money in cables, just buy a beautiful and comfortable one. :wink:

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #53,990 of 63,884
For finish... my others KZ/CCA
Really love this DQ6 tuning.... :L3000: :L3000:

KZ DQ6 VS KZ S2.jpg
KZ DQ6 VS CCA CA16.jpg
KZ DQ9 VS CCA C16.jpg

Hope it's not too spamming....

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #53,991 of 63,884
After +100 hours of burning, some measurements of my DQ6s...

Before and after burning, no differences can be seen on screen

Comparo between my nears DD models (and LZ A7 for ref...)

DQ6 GREEN VS EDX ORANGE.jpgDQ6 GREEN VS BL03 DARK GREEN.jpgDQ6 GREEN VS BL01 RED.jpgDQ6 GREEN VS LZ A7 BLUE.jpg

A really good tuning from KZ !

For debat between tips or cables swap...

KZ DQ6 - Cables comparo.jpgKZ DQ6 - Tips comparo.jpg

Don't spent too much money in cables, just buy a beautiful and comfortable one. :wink:
I don't buy cable in search for changing the sound, but more for looks, durability and non-tangled cable. KZ cable is okay, but it is a freaking tangled prone.

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #53,992 of 63,884
I don't buy cable in search for changing the sound, but more for looks, durability and non-tangled cable. KZ cable is okay, but it is a freaking tangled prone.

Read my comment under the tips graph.
We are agree :beerchug:

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #53,993 of 63,884
Do you mind sharing the links for these cables?

You've a good eye there. Thanks

I've edited the original post by including the link at the bottom.

I also wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for your feedback on the CCA CKX over on the CCA thread. I had completely forgotten that there is a CCA thread.

Glad to hear that you "prefer the timbre on the CKX over the NM2+" (similar sound signature but better treble presentation) and in fact chose it as your favorite IEM for the late-2020/early-2021 time frame.

Am I correct about that?

I saw the specs and figured it might be an upgrade to the ZSN Pro presentation (due to the two - oops - 30095 and four 30017 BAs) but your feedback has me rethinking my suspicions.
61AgRvzhiNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Actually, it shouldn't surprise me a bit if it turns out to be a showstopper.
The great KZ/CCA in-ears usually fall between the cracks.

I'll order a CKX in the next few days to hear them for myself but thanks in advance for the additional feedback.

51naVyplZ8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I don't need another IEM but the CKX seems interesting enough (¿CCA C10 with better treble extension?) to pick one up.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #53,994 of 63,884
Interesting graphs @Pelicampe. Slightly off topic but your graphs seem to show that the Blon bl-01 has more bass than the 03. Weird, that's not what I hear. Perhaps it's unit variability? I'm tempted to get ckx now. Looks similarly tuned to my ahem cough qt2. A dual dynamic 1 ba iem.

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #53,995 of 63,884
Interesting graphs @Pelicampe. Slightly off topic but your graphs seem to show that the Blon bl-01 has more bass than the 03. Weird, that's not what I hear. Perhaps it's unit variability? I'm tempted to get ckx now. Looks similarly tuned to my ahem cough qt2. A dual dynamic 1 ba iem.

Actually I also find the BLON BL-01 has more bass than the BL-03 (this is using same tips, same source/cable and volume matched). But I think a lot of folks are using aftermarket tips with the BLON BL-03 due to the crap stock tip fit, so different aftermarket tips give different seal and hence subbass amounts (due to isolation). Tips by themselves can also alter the FR and make things sound bassier/less bassy. Ear anatomy maybe might play a part too and unit variation (QC) as you say.

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #53,996 of 63,884
You've a good eye there. Thanks

I've edited the original post by including the link at the bottom.

I also wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for your feedback on the CCA CKX over on the CCA thread. I had completely forgotten that there is a CCA thread.

Glad to hear that you "prefer the timbre on the CKX over the NM2+" (similar sound signature but better treble presentation) and in fact chose it as your favorite IEM for the late-2020/early-2021 time frame.

Am I correct about that?

I saw the specs and figured it might be an upgrade to the ZSN Pro presentation (due to the two - oops - 30095 and four 30017 BAs) but your feedback has me rethinking my suspicions.

Actually, it shouldn't surprise me a bit if it turns out to be a showstopper.
The great KZ/CCA in-ears usually fall between the cracks.

I'll order a CKX in the next few days to hear them for myself but thanks in advance for the additional feedback.

I don't need another IEM but the CKX seems interesting enough (¿CCA C10 with better treble extension?) to pick one up.

Thanks for the link.

Yes indeed I prefer the overall sound of the CKX over the NM2+. I actually like the bass, mid and treble better on the CKX not just the treble:dt880smile: . The NM2+ may have better dynamic range, layering and treble extension (more air) but sometimes out of control to my ears - too loud, too quiet, and sometimes shouty. YMMV thou. I actually have two favorites just never mentioned. The CKX and BQEYZ spring 2 are the two IEMs I really like that I never have the intention to switch while listening with them.

From my experience, having one treble BA in the nozzle can be shouty, but having multiple BAs for the treble with one in the nozzle is never shouty at all and usually these IEMs have a thicker mid sound signature. I don't have the ZSN Pro so can't really comment on it.

I totally agree that "The great KZ/CCA in-ears usually fall between the cracks". The ZAX is popular IMO because it has a more distinctive sound signature and better marketing. KZ/CCA don't seem to hard selling their CCA line nearly as much as the KZ line. The CCA line has more mature tunings IMO and maybe better suit the preference of mature (old:floatsmile:) people.

I think the small size of the CKX alone is enough for people to appreciate as there are 6 BAs and 1 10mm DD inside. I only bought about 20 IEMs last year and I keep telling myself I don't need another too. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #53,997 of 63,884
Well, Thanks to getting back on Head-Fi after about 10 years away, I made my first purchase today. And thanks to this forum I'm starting relatively cheap. :wink:
I just got the Meizu MasterHIFI Audio D/A Converter Headphone Amplifier, KZ ZST, and BLON BL01. I know it's not much but I am very excited to get back into this hobby. I can't wait until friday.

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #53,998 of 63,884
Well, Thanks to getting back on Head-Fi after about 10 years away, I made my first purchase today. And thanks to this forum I'm starting relatively cheap. :wink:
I just got the Meizu MasterHIFI Audio D/A Converter Headphone Amplifier, KZ ZST, and BLON BL01. I know it's not much but I am very excited to get back into this hobby. I can't wait until friday.

btw if you have BLON, try tripowin TC01, sounds crazy

Jan 28, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #53,999 of 63,884
The ZAX is popular IMO because it has a more distinctive sound signature and better marketing. KZ/CCA don't seem to hard selling their CCA line nearly as much as the KZ line. The CCA line has more mature tunings IMO and maybe better suit the preference of mature (old:floatsmile:) people.
To an extent, this is true as KZ is really better marketed (I mean, it is the main brand) but in the case of the ZAX I would argue that it's popular simply because it's the most technically refined IEM from KZ/CCA with the typical "KZ tuning". I also have both the 1DD/7BA hybrid flagships from both companies, the KZ ZAX and the CCA CA16 and I easily prefer the ZAX between them. The CA16 has serious mud issues and the midbass vastly congests the midrange, while there's something really weird going on with the treble that I can't exactly pinpoint (sounds wonky in general, sometimes like heavy lossy compression). The ZAX is much harder to fault - it has a really minor issue with sounding metallic, and that's about all I can think of. The CA16 is also straight up hard to drive off of conventional sources like smartphones and only comes alive when driven off a dedicated amp. The ZAX also has a bigger stage in every axis and is built and looks way better. The CA16 sounds slightly better for male vocals and has the more comfortable shell for me but both are comfortable and the CA16 shell is too cheap feeling to make the compromise.

I think it's a case of the best model being the most popular model sometimes.

Also, whoever decided on the narrow nozzle and new clear tips thing with new models like the CA16, ASF and ASX should stop immediately. The thin nozzle literally seems to kill or seriously dampen treble in every model it's on, and the ear tips are just laughably terrible. If the ASX just had a wider nozzle, it might have sounded completely different.

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #54,000 of 63,884
To an extent, this is true as KZ is really better marketed (I mean, it is the main brand) but in the case of the ZAX I would argue that it's popular simply because it's the most technically refined IEM from KZ/CCA with the typical "KZ tuning". I also have both the 1DD/7BA hybrid flagships from both companies, the KZ ZAX and the CCA CA16 and I easily prefer the ZAX between them. The CA16 has serious mud issues and the midbass vastly congests the midrange, while there's something really weird going on with the treble that I can't exactly pinpoint (sounds wonky in general, sometimes like heavy lossy compression). The ZAX is much harder to fault - it has a really minor issue with sounding metallic, and that's about all I can think of. The CA16 is also straight up hard to drive off of conventional sources like smartphones and only comes alive when driven off a dedicated amp. The ZAX also has a bigger stage in every axis and is built and looks way better. The CA16 sounds slightly better for male vocals and has the more comfortable shell for me but both are comfortable and the CA16 shell is too cheap feeling to make the compromise.

I think it's a case of the best model being the most popular model sometimes.

Also, whoever decided on the narrow nozzle and new clear tips thing with new models like the CA16, ASF and ASX should stop immediately. The thin nozzle literally seems to kill or seriously dampen treble in every model it's on, and the ear tips are just laughably terrible. If the ASX just had a wider nozzle, it might have sounded completely different.

I had the CA16 and the ASX but sold them both. The CA16 had almost all the issues you mentioned above and the ASX as far as I know requires a lot of running-in/cable-rolling/tip-rolling or EQ to get reasonably balanced sounds. I also had the ZAX in fact and sold it as I could not deal with that metallic sound and that weird artificial sound on top of that. The ZAX came out first and that is why it is the "best model" and more popular. It is more "fun" sounding to my ears too and I guess that's why it is more popular as the market likes "fun" sounding earphones better than a more conservatively tuned one like the CKX. There are also so little headfiers willing to try the CKX because of the popularity of the ZAX and the similar configuration on paper (you even get one more BA compare to the CKX) that they don't feel (including me until I sold my ZAX) they need to get the another multiple BA single DD hybrid.

It is not really the "best model" being the most popular in any case IMO. I am not trying to promote the CKX here but have you even tried one, and also the majority owners of the ZAX, how many of us here have both of them? How can anyone reach the conclusion that "this is the best model" without even trying the other models out there?

Anyway, speaking of nozzle the CKX's nozzles are WIDE, I even have difficulty finding the right tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back