Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 8, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #53,596 of 64,152
The KZ DQ6 arrived today. Rocking them in the 4.4mm on Fiio M11. Spend a few hours with them already and I can say: After all these disappointing phones by KZ (dare I say ASX), this one is absolutely delightful. Pounding bass with profound sub bass, detailed mids without any bleed from the bass and an elevated sparkly treble that brings out cymbals and crashes without being harsh. This a fun headphone, V shaped without the mids being overpowered, which has a lot to offer. I mainly listen to hard rock and metal. For this, they are a steal for under 30 bucks. Thumbs up from me! P. S. As always stock tips and cable are crap. Currently using a TRN Pentaconn cable and SpinFit tips.

Jan 8, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #53,598 of 64,152
Not too mention you got an awesome iem with those tips for $5 :grin: And to think people walk into Best Buy and get cheap, bad sounding Skull Candies for $19.99 a pair:scream: They are also worthy cables tweaks which credit goes to Slater and the late and great Hungry Panda R.I.P. our friend:pray:

Sony Trio.JPG

Not to stray too far from thread topic and get myself TERMINATED:open_mouth:

Budget Friday.JPG

you got FIIO BTR5? that's a fine DAC/DAP/BLUETOOTH

Jan 8, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #53,600 of 64,152
you got FIIO BTR5? that's a fine DAC/DAP/BLUETOOTH

No that is the BTR3K, this is my new Mini "King of the Hill" :grin: Took about 20 minutes for me to order a backup and give both my ES100's away:rolling_eyes:

K57.JPG

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #53,601 of 64,152
No that is the BTR3K, this is my new Mini "King of the Hill" :grin: Took about 20 minutes for me to order a backup and give both my ES100's away:rolling_eyes:

i tried my friend's Qudelix and BTR5, both are good and for my ears are better than the ES100 when comparing their single end output, but the ES100 can get really close to them when comparing their balanced output.

i prefer the BTR5 sound myself, as it has a more energetic overall sound compared to the more neutral 5K and ES100, but that is definitely preference matter, as the BTR5 and 5K are both playing at basically the same level of performance

Jan 9, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #53,602 of 64,152
Between the Z1 (single DD "XUN") and the SA08 which do you prefer?

Thanks in advance.

Although the SA08 is superior in a technical sense (especially the mad detail retrieval), I prefer the tonality of the Z1 but most of all I much prefer the Z1 shells which are smaller and fit in my ears much better.

Jan 9, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #53,603 of 64,152
Between the Z1 (single DD "XUN") and the SA08 which do you prefer?

Thanks in advance.

I know you're the O.G. when it comes to KZ Acoustics.

I can't seem to get my DQ6 soon enough but still looking forward to your review on them.

Agreed.

"The AS12's trebles seem to be very complete and ideally balanced with upper-midrange." ...and lower frequencies (just like the BA10).

It's not as warm as the BA10 but it's a supreme listening experience.

I haven't heard the ZS7, ZSX, ZAX or ASX (I do have ASF) but considering my extensive collection the AS12 is KZ's best effort as of January 2021.

I am tempted to pick up a ZSX and ZAX but given the tuning of the BA10 and AS12 I'm just not tempted enough. I do regret not picking up the ZS7 (the ZS6 is one of my favorites) but it will be a dark day when the BA10 and AS12 are no longer available.

Am I incorrect in my understanding that you like the $70 AS12 as much as your $700 Moondrop S8?

20210108_155912.jpg

11233985.jpg
Nowadays I prefer AS12 over the Moondrop S8. S8 is very source picky, I use it only with my PC soundcard.
I like AS12's bass and treble more. True mids are better on S8, but upper-mids - for music with female vocals or el. quitars, AS12 is my best :)

Jan 9, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #53,604 of 64,152

Really like this FR, we have less the roller coaster effect than usual.
They tempt me ... but I already have the BL03 and BL01, I'm afraid that it will be duplicated...

Jan 9, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #53,605 of 64,152
Really like this FR, we have less the roller coaster effect than usual.
They tempt me ... but I already have the BL03 and BL01, I'm afraid that it will be duplicated...

Ha ha, this is a debate actually happening right now. Some people say that the DQ6 is like a BL-01 with different technicalities. But others say the tuning is not similar enough, that it has its own tuning. So maybe you can contribute to the debate!

Jan 9, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #53,608 of 64,152
Just got the BA10 after considering them for a few years, and they're very good! I have enjoyed the ZS7 for a while now but I think their bass is just a bit too much for me, I found I haven't been reaching for them much lately. I figured the BA10 would be a good way to go. What aftermarket eartips do folks use with their BA10? So far I'm enjoying the Acoustune AET08a tips the most (which would be the first time I've ever found these tips work well, since they way the emphasize bass in dynamic earphones has never agreed with me... maybe they're meant more for an all balanced armature set).

Edit: the AET08a might boost the bass too much even on the BA10! Just switched to the Periodic Audio Hydrogen tips, so far so good...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back