Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 27, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #53,297 of 63,884
2 hours at probably 50% volume and "new". Battery degrade and I am not sure how good the quality of the battery on KZ tws, so 1 hour playing time is more realistic and become less and less as time goes by.

Dec 27, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #53,298 of 63,884
2 hours at probably 50% volume and "new". Battery degrade and I am not sure how good the quality of the battery on KZ tws, so 1 hour playing time is more realistic and become less and less as time goes by.

My Z1s still produce nearly 2 hours at more like 80% volume. My S1s still charge and work but they're now with a friend so I can't say how good the battery life is.

The Z1 is really good. It's good to see KZ doing a bit more DD based stuff again. Got the DQ6 on order, already have the EDX and the CCA CST.

Dec 27, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #53,299 of 63,884
Been comparing these 2. DQ6 came earlier than expected.

bass ZAX.jpg

After some initial playing, it started to sound a bit like, crowd-favourite, the ZAX. So, I outfitted DQ6 exactly like the ZAX (same eartips & KZ's gold/silver colour cable) for a mini comparo.

First thought that came to mind is, "the kids are gonna to love this" (ie: club-going youngsters)! So, fired up Charli XCX on Tidal. The bass authority & texture of DQ6 is quite impressive, while keeping reasonably clear of the mids to maintain good clarity. The mids is a tad warmer than ZAX. With a more subdued lower treble and less treble extension. To my ears, it's a more mature sounding version of KZ's treble-leaning house sound. The electronic bass line on Charli XCX has never sounded better and with the low pricing, it will leave "the kids" with more money for extra shots! :)

Not a giant-killing iem, but definitely a good return to form for KZ.

EDIT:
Interesting. Switching back to stock cable moves it toward KZ's house sound. Leaner & more treble energy.

EDIT:
It likes being amped; there's improved detail across the spectrum and the bass tightens. Tested with NX3s & IFI Nano BL and stock cable.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #53,300 of 63,884
Absolutely! You’re one of the reasons why I picked up a Z1 specifically to convert it to wired :)

Nice to have you back. I hope things improve, and you experience peac. Only a few more days before this year is behind us!
Welcome back friend!

We missed your great advise and friendship here. I've learnt a lot of stuff in audio from you! Hope things are getting better and a new year is coming, hopefully we put the past behind and look forward to better things in 2021 (and more audio gear!).

Thanks buddies, hope can back on the line, i've missed lot of things here. THe DQ6 looks interesting and beautiful. If they sounded as a better Z1 with same XUN driver that goes deep on sub bass, and maintain great timbre I can say this is a major step forward from KZ.
The XUN driver is something revolutionary IMHO, the large backplate made bigger soundstage, and I don't know how but somehow they hit the nail with bass depth.

Dec 28, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #53,301 of 63,884
Compared to BL01 or BL03, how is the DQ6 ?

Dec 28, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #53,302 of 63,884
With both using stock cables - DQ6 has more treble energy, less warmth and a stronger bass response. To my ears, BL-03 is more nuanced while DQ6 is more forward sounding. DQ6's nozzle design is easier to get a good ear insertion.

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #53,304 of 63,884

I don't have the bl-03. Comparing the BL-01 and DQ6:

Stage/Imaging - BL-01 wider but not as good imaging
Bass - much better on the BL-01, better impact, tighter, better resolution and extension; DQ6 has more fun kind of energetic bass tuning but below average extension.
Mid - BL-01 is more V shape, DQ6 mid resolution is ok, not anything to get excited about.
Treble - BL-01 better extension but experiences sibilance while on the DQ6 it is much smoother and non-fatiguing. Despite being smoother the DQ6 has better treble resolution. I always find the BL-01 treble 'sounds' like a good old CRT TV.

Overall I find the DQ6 better to my taste. If only the DQ6 can have better bass extension and quality like the BL-01 it would be pretty good.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #53,305 of 63,884
Thanks @purplesun for your impressions!
My DQ6 should arrive any moment, will compare them to the EDX and other budget IEMs 😊
That should be a good fight! Too bad my CCA CST is broken. From what I can recall, the bass would lag DQ6 in quality & volume, while the highs was too hot for me (am treble-sensitive). While DQ6's treble volume, on stock cable, is near my treble limit.

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #53,306 of 63,884
That should be a good fight! Too bad my CCA CST is broken. From what I can recall, the bass would lag DQ6 in quality & volume, while the highs was too hot for me (am treble-sensitive). While DQ6's treble volume, on stock cable, is near my treble limit.

Wait, your CST broke too? One of the nozzles fell off on mine. Very short-lived.

Dec 28, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #53,308 of 63,884
BA10 were delivered today

619AB1F5-E7B0-415A-95EB-0FAC0197E4A6.gif

Holy smokes I should have gotten these years ago!

I always avoided them because I was afraid of the robot looking fit, and also because I figured they had weak bass.

Boy was I wrong. The fit is just fine (at least my ears). And the bass is just great right OOTB. I had to do a double take and make sure there wasn’t a dynamic in there!

Seriously though, I am very impressed that KZ put out such a good all-BA, full metal, 4-way crossover earphone at such an affordable price.

And the fact that it uses the older Paragraph B socket allows me to use a nice 2-pin Limpid pure silver balanced cable.

I only had a short time with them (mainly to verify they weren’t defective). I’m still going to tip roll and give them some more serious critical head time this upcoming New Years holiday. Looking forward to it!

Thanks KZ, you hit it out of the ballpark yet again :)

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #53,309 of 63,884
BA10 were delivered today

Holy smokes I should have gotten these years ago!

I always avoided them because I was afraid of the robot looking fit, and also because I figured they had weak bass.

Boy was I wrong. The fit is just fine (at least my ears). And the bass is just great right OOTB. I had to do a double take and make sure there wasn’t a dynamic in there!

Seriously though, I am very impressed that KZ put out such a good all-BA, full metal, 4-way crossover earphone at such an affordable price.

And the fact that it uses the older Paragraph B socket allows me to use a nice 2-pin Limpid pure silver balanced cable.

I only had a short time with them (mainly to verify they weren’t defective). I’m still going to tip roll and give them some more serious critical head time this upcoming New Years holiday. Looking forward to it!

Thanks KZ, you hit it out of the ballpark yet again :)
Congrats on your discovery and the fit!

BA10 were more $85+ on launch, but now are really more affordable.

The bass is lovely indeed, and then AS10 are warmer, and a king of all there is AS12.

AS12 bass is really something, and then if you undampen and adjust the treble to your taste (those treble drivers there are unique beasts) - AS12 can be the real winners.

I have Knowles and Sonion BA bass drivers to compare, and I like the old KZ ones in AS12 the most. The new modified bass drivers (ASX, ASF) are really powerful but close to Sonions and DDs in fluency and less to my taste.

Dec 28, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #53,310 of 63,884
Congrats on your discovery and the fit!

BA10 were more $85+ on launch, but now are really more affordable.

The bass is lovely indeed, and then AS10 are warmer, and a king of all there is AS12.

AS12 bass is really something, and then if you undampen and adjust the treble to your taste (those treble drivers there are unique beasts) - AS12 can be the real winners.

I have Knowles and Sonion BA bass drivers to compare, and I like the old KZ ones in AS12 the most. The new modified bass drivers (ASX, ASF) are really powerful but close to Sonions and DDs in fluency and less to my taste.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have paid $85 for the BA10. The fact that I got them for under $40 is just icing on the cake.

So if I like the BA10 I’m going to love a treble modded AS12 eh? You’re such an enabler lol

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back