Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 21, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #53,221 of 63,907
Dec 21, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #53,222 of 63,907
BTW, @alphawhale's nice pictures made me order the DQ6! Will probably arrive next year, so first IEM for 2021 (The year of leaving the house, I hope!)

Congrats on the incoming DQ6.

Thus far it looks like a handful of us will be able to provide DQ6 feedback for the community. You, me, PhonoPhi and I believe Slater. We'll post all of the good, the bad and the ugly, if there is any, right here for all to see.

Should be interesting, to say the least.

@trumpethead That bus thing and the 6's cut's me deep:scream:

All I can say @requal is my BA10 is the best sounding all BA I own and it just has such a natural timbre to it for my ears and really crushes my Yin (Who) HQ 12's:smirk:

Yeah, that ZS6 remark hit a nerve with me as well. I still thinks it's a hugely entertaining in-ear. Like you, I have several ZS6v1.

Also a fan of the BA10. I've no issues whatsoever with the fit. The timbre is quite good for an all-BA model.

Truth be told, the ASF timbre is better but the bass-forward/mid-forward sound signature isn't for everyone. Some folks designate the ASF as V-shaped which is incorrect to me since the treble is rolled off. They're very different from KZ's other hybrid/all-BA offerings. Nevertheless, I like them.

4 out of 5 stars is more than acceptable all things considered (cost, comfort, isolation and most importantly entertainment value).

I'll reiterate my thoughts that KZ absolutely needs to put those "s" model BAs to use by tuning a smooth and mild W-shaped sound signature in-ear and perhaps a few other models that cater to different preferences.

To my ears, the "s" model BAs have better timbre and they've eliminated a portion of the colder nature typical of BAs.

41dXq0rXLpL._AC_SL1500_-1.jpg

It would be an absolute shame if KZ abandoned the use of the "s" model BAs due to the uneven backlash on the ASF/ASX feedback.

The ASF sounds awful on recordings like this

but it's the recording. I listened to this track with half a dozen in-ears. Some faired better than others but the track sounds abysmal on the ASF. It sounds as though I'm listening to the track with a set of damaged dynamic drivers.

Then I loaded this track.

Either the recording equipment was far better or the recording engineer had a lot more talent. The quality of the production with this recording is miles ahead and it sounds so lifelike on the ASF.

Night and day folks. Night and day.
Again, it's a good 4/5 earphone.

No complaints from me.

I had them from somebody who was very impressed by them. He bought them after release, but those was ridiculised by community, so he said only that he likes them a lot, and he goes silent, but meanwhile he was comparing them to new toys in pricerange, and another, and another.. as he said, he even wanned to compare them to Andro one time, (ofc Andro is technically better, but not necesery more pleasant), but he gave up to do it. I bought them from him after Nimweth dig it again. It's a keeper. Long story short, this was signal to me to check by my self new models also.

ALWAYS trust your own ears. Collect feedback from trusted sources and jump on it if you're feeling froggy. You can always sell or trade what doesn't work for you.

Getting educated about what you like and dislike will save you lots of $$$$ as you level up.

After living with the ASX for a few more days now, I've decided to keep them. I find them to be quite good with EQ. Without it, I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole, though... 🤔

Please elaborate. The feedback is much appreciated.

Are they too bass forward for your tastes?
Is the treble too subdued for your tastes?
Which source are you using?

Thanks in advance

BTW, anyone willing to take one for the team with the CCA CKX?

61QYqwNaPeL._AC_SX522_.jpg

In other news, I found it interesting that the audioreviews frequency response graph for the TRI I3 is very similar to the frequency response graph for the AS12.

I haven't heard the TRI I3 and other frequency response graphs do show more of a variation but the AS12 could be an interesting find if it gives you 85% - 90% of the TRI I3 presentation at half the price.

Does anyone here own both the TRI I3 and AS12?

Audio reviews
sPKTFwO.jpg

download.jpeg-19.jpg

Phonograph
download.jpeg-20.jpg

Crinacle
TRI-I3.jpg

Audiofool
Tri-i3-FR.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #53,223 of 63,907

Thus far it looks like a handful of us will be able to provide DQ6 feedback for the community. You, me, PhonoPhi and I believe Slater. We'll post all of the good, the bad and the ugly if there is any right here for all to see.

Yeah, that ZS6 remark hit a nerve with me as well. I still thinks it's a hugely entertaining in-ear. Like you, I have several ZS6v1.

Also a fan of the BA10. I've no issues whatsoever with the fit. The timbre is quite good for an all-BA model.

Truth be told, the ASF timbre is better but the bass-forward/mid-forward sound signature isn't for everyone. Some folks designate the ASF as V-shaped which is incorrect to me since the treble is rolled off. They're very different from KZ's other hybrid/all-BA offerings. Nevertheless, I like them. 4 out of 5 stars is more than acceptable all things considered (cost, comfort, isolation and most importantly entertainment value).

I'll reiterate my thoughts that KZ absolutely needs to put those "s" model BAs to use by tuning a smooth and mild W-shaped sound signature in-ear.

It would be an absolute shame if KZ abandoned the use of the "s" model BAs due to the uneven backlash on the ASF/ASX feedback.

but it's the recording. I listened to this track with half a dozen in-ears. Some faired better than others but the track sounds abysmal on the ASF. It sounds as though I'm listening to the track with a set of damaged dynamic drivers.

Either the recording equipment was far better or the recording engineer had a lot more talent. The quality of the production with this recording is miles ahead and it sounds so lifelike on the ASF.

No complaints from me.

ALWAYS trust your own ears. Collect feedback from trusted sources and jump on it if you're feeling froggy. You can always sell or trade what doesn't work for you.

Getting educated about what you like and dislike will save you lots of $$$$ as you level up.

Thanks in advance

With regards to the Hall & Oats version of She's Gone...I totally concur. I listen to them at least once/week for an hour+. Much thanks for listing that original version by Tavares. I forgot their name, but that song was in my head and one I listened to often when I was just a young kid. Like you said though, the remake by H&O was better sounding.

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #53,224 of 63,907
"BTW, @alphawhale's nice pictures made me order the DQ6! Will probably arrive next year, so first IEM for 2021 (The year of leaving the house, I hope!)"
Funny how that happens around here eh @purplesun :wink:
After being dealt so many 12, 13 and 14 hands in a row - I figured it's about time KZ hits a 21! :)
(PSA: Gambling is bad for you! And reading headfi reviews as well)

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #53,225 of 63,907

Thus far it looks like a handful of us will be able to provide DQ6 feedback for the community. You, me, PhonoPhi and I believe Slater. We'll post all of the good, the bad and the ugly if there is any right here for all to see.

Truth be told, the ASF timbre is better but the bass-forward/mid-forward sound signature isn't for everyone. Some folks designate the ASF as V-shaped which is incorrect to me since the treble is rolled off. They're very different from KZ's other hybrid/all-BA offerings. Nevertheless, I like them. 4 out of 5 stars is more than acceptable all things considered (cost, comfort, isolation and most importantly entertainment value).

I'll reiterate my thoughts that KZ absolutely needs to put those "s" model BAs to use by tuning a smooth and mild W-shaped sound signature in-ear.

No complaints from me.

Thanks in advance

61QYqwNaPeL._AC_SX522_.jpg

In other news, I found it interesting that the audioreviews frequency response graph for the TRI I3 is very similar to the frequency response graph for the AS12.

I haven't heard the TRI I3 and other frequency response graphs do show more of a variation but the AS12 could be an interesting find if it gives you 85% - 90% of the TRI I3 presentation at half the price.

Audio reviews
sPKTFwO.jpg
download.jpeg-19.jpg

Phonograph
download.jpeg-20.jpg

Crinacle
TRI-I3.jpg

Audiofool
Tri-i3-FR.jpg

My DQ6 has just shipped so most likely it will arrive in January 2021.

Dec 21, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #53,226 of 63,907

Thus far it looks like a handful of us will be able to provide DQ6 feedback for the community. You, me, PhonoPhi and I believe Slater. We'll post all of the good, the bad and the ugly, if there is any, right here for all to see.

Truth be told, the ASF timbre is better but the bass-forward/mid-forward sound signature isn't for everyone. Some folks designate the ASF as V-shaped which is incorrect to me since the treble is rolled off. They're very different from KZ's other hybrid/all-BA offerings. Nevertheless, I like them.

4 out of 5 stars is more than acceptable all things considered (cost, comfort, isolation and most importantly entertainment value).

I'll reiterate my thoughts that KZ absolutely needs to put those "s" model BAs to use by tuning a smooth and mild W-shaped sound signature in-ear and perhaps a few other models that cater to different preferences.

To my ears, the "s" model BAs have better timbre and they've eliminated a portion of the colder nature typical of BAs.

No complaints from me.

[/SPOILER]

Well in all fairness we are talking different decades, studios and equipment in and out! I can appreciate both for what they were, sure the Travares version sounds wonky but it has merit, just hard to compare with Darryl and Johns version really. Don't they know "S" is for Super:wink:

Dec 21, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #53,227 of 63,907

Phonograph

Crinacle

Audiofool

[/SPOILER]

I haven't heard the KZ AS12 before, but my 2 cents is that graphs don't tell the full story and are just an indication of the frequency response. We can't tell some stuff like timbre, details, instrument separation, imaging etc from graphs alone. Plus these 2 sets use different drivers, the planars in the TRI I3 are quite a pain to drive, and TRI I3 has a DD bass, whereas the KZ AS12 is a pure BA setup. From my journey in CHIFI, even if the bass looks similar in graphs for a BA bass vs DD bass, the DD bass will generally have better decay, movement of air +/- subbass extension, but of course there are exceptions.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #53,228 of 63,907

I've already elaborated in my previous posts about them. As for the sources, those wouldn't be an issue as they all have adequate power to drive such a high sensitivity, low impedence IEM and are verified to be transparent.

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #53,229 of 63,907
Received my DQ6. The shape of the shell is slightly different compared to the ASX. Sold my ASX so I am not sure but I think the nozzles are different too. Also come with different tips. I like this face plate and overall the build quality is higher than the ASX. They definitely look pretty good!
Looking forward to test them out!

Edit: they are definitely shorter than the ASX. There is finally enough space to adjust the position in my ears.
First impression: Very safe and smooth tuning with just enough resolution, stage size is ok but a bit 2d sounding, For $20, definitely a no-brainer.

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-22 at 10.36.46.jpgWhatsApp Image 2020-12-22 at 10.34.38(2).jpgWhatsApp Image 2020-12-22 at 10.34.38(1).jpgWhatsApp Image 2020-12-22 at 10.34.38.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #53,230 of 63,907
I do not have a donor iem to use their nozzles as replacement for ASF's nozzles.

Hmmm..... I wonder?? (Straw O.D.= 4.6mm)
I Wonder.jpg

Tada! It just fit into the ASF holes - insert juvenile joke :)
Ta Da.jpg

Tested for about 20 seconds, the bass now sounds less woolly and treble becomes more distinct.
I now need to find some glue, and decide how long I want the nozzles :)

EDIT:
A thin strip of double-sided tape around the bottom edge of the straw and jam it into hole. Seems to stay put well enough.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #53,231 of 63,907

The ASF sounds awful on recordings like this (...)
Yes, timbre is better on Asx and Asf, then in BA10, it is actually very good. On Asx is even better because highs are more pronounced.

Asf is as you described bassy and mid-forward, but with spc or pure silver cable sounds better, sadly still bassy. Same situation like with Whizzer Kylin, on stock accessories is unlistenable bass monster, with ps cable and better tips is quite good, ofc for me, I'm listening mostly EDM music so I can live with that.

For you much better option would be ASX, it is real detail monster, bass is also acceptable, with sub-bass accent is not dominating whole spectrum, definietly under control and not bleeding, mids are bit recesed, and very good detailed treble. Withs those engaging trebles sometimes I would even choose/prefer them over ISN H40.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #53,232 of 63,907
Received my DQ6. The shape of the shell is slightly different compared to the ASX. Sold my ASX so I am not sure but I think the nozzles are different too. Also come with different tips. I like this face plate and overall the build quality is higher than the ASX. They definitely look pretty good!

Edit: they are definitely shorter than the ASX. There is finally enough space to adjust the position in my ears.
First impression: Very safe and smooth tuning with just enough resolution, stage size is ok but a bit 2d sounding, For $20, definitely a no-brainer.

I really like this pair, especially for vocal, both gender! Well done KZ! I really wonder if KZ found out that the ASX/ASF shells are too large and made such adjustment with the DQ6. So much more comfortable to wear.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #53,233 of 63,907

Not sure if I want them to be
I really like this pair, especially for vocal, both gender!
Mine still haven't shipped even though I ordered long ago. Some sites say it's still a pre-sale item.
I hope the shorter length works out for me. I felt the short tips, usually used for wireless earphones, were just right for the ASF.
May have to go back to a traditional tip for the DQ6.

Is that an actual vent on the outside of the shell, or is that just for looks?
I was kind of hoping it wasn't an actual vent because I like high isolation.

Dec 21, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #53,234 of 63,907

Mine still haven't shipped even though I ordered long ago. Some sites say it's still a pre-sale item.
I hope the shorter length works out for me. I felt the short tips, usually used for wireless earphones, were just right for the ASF.

For high isolation you can't go wrong with Etymotics. Those triple flange tips will seal your ear good (and clean them too).

Dec 21, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #53,235 of 63,907

I have really small ears and they sit perfectly in my ear!
The vents again are just for aesthetic just like the ZAX (they face plate is very similar to the ZAX)

I always use JVC spirl dot / Sony eartips on all of my IEMs. Give them a try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back