Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 18, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #52,741 of 63,922
KZ really hit the target with the AS06. I keep hearing about "recessed mids" but I'm not getting that; I have no problems with mine.

Now I await the experts to tell me the difference between it and ASF.
People say all KZ has recessed mid, but again how much forward you want it to be really lol. Might as well EQ it like a ^ to get all them mids forward.

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #52,742 of 63,922
People say all KZ has recessed mid, but again how much forward you want it to be really lol. Might as well EQ it like a ^ to get all them mids forward.
With these arguments, ASX with its 10 drivers will be the best candidate to equalize into TOTL/flagship/dream :)
(It may be true)

My limited experience with equalizers is that you can trim a bit something excessive, especially in the treble, but you can hardly add what is not there, or if you have an underperforming driver, equalizing it will just make it a shouty underperforming driver.

IMHO, KZ needs to learn how to do the mids, and they can become a king of ChiFI and beyond :wink:

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #52,744 of 63,922
Oh Good! My AS06 do not sound "recessed in the mids" either..

:xf_cool:
What do you compare AS06 with?

I now compared AS06 to AS10, BA10, AS12, AS16, C16, ZAX, and ASX - AS06 are the most "V".

ASX are actually quite close to AS06, OK in "less emphasis of the mids", and closer to AS10 and BA10 than to AS16 and ZAX.

I have two all-BAs with ED29689 Knowles, they are a good reference for the mids.

AS06 are beautiful for solo cello to my ears :)

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #52,745 of 63,922
My ASX have arrived this monday. This will be only a sort of short impression post, but I hope I can follow up with a more thorough one.

Before I go into details. My main reason for "upgrading" was to get an in-ear with a more fitting sound signature. I have the AS10 and they are bit to much on the darker/bassy side for my taste. After more than a year of usage I figured it was time to upgrade.
Seeing the ASX with the ridiculous amount of drivers, they certainly peaked my interest.
The first measurements showed that they are on the bassy/darker side. Most "reviewers" gave them an atrocious rating. While some users here are almost astonishingly happy with how they sound. Is there a problem with quality control? What is going on? I needed to hear them for myself.

Keep in mind that I can only compare them to the AS10. At least regarding in ears, these are the only other iems I have at hand.

When I got them, I started slowly. I preferably picked songs which are either quiet or where not a lot is going on. I didn't want to ruin my initial impression by playing some technical death metal or other "complex" music. So I begin listening and right of the bat these are not horrible.
The more I listened and the more songs I picked I noticed the amount of bass. It is a lot.
Yes, they are pretty dark. But they also have a rich and full sound. My AS10 sound quite thin in direct comparison. I remember when I read some posts here. Where users where saying that the AS10 are rather bright. Back then I could not understand those posts. Now they start make sense to me.
The ASX are very detailed, they kind of tell you everything. Although I think that the details could be a bit finer to be really perfect.
The imaging is on another level. The space between left and right is quite huge. The placements of the various elements works very well. Everything has so much space available. At least for me in an in ear, I have not had this level of positioning before.

I will try to follow up with a more thorough post. Which will also include some sample songs. For now I am surprised by their performance. They maybe not work for every genre. But so far I am pretty happy.

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #52,748 of 63,922
Throw me some names. Any song/artist recommendation?
Bach solo cellos, I have a second (out of three) recording of Yo-Yo Ma, very decent.
Maisky for expression, Rostropovich for one of the best cello sound (less for the style, arguably); many other recordings to suite any style and preference.

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #52,749 of 63,922
Bach solo cellos, I have a second (out of three) recording of Yo-Yo Ma, very decent.
Maisky for expression, Rostropovich for one of the best cello sound (less for the style, arguably); many other recordings to suite any style and preference.
Thanks! Firing up Tidal now :)

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #52,750 of 63,922
I thought to make it longer, I can't.

ASX are a decent effort but KZ can do better, I hope.
There is something deficient in ASX mids for me, some hollow/nasal quality, not that much, but apparent.

I do prefer AS16, C16, and ZAX to ASX.
At the same time, BA10, AS10, and especially AS06 are closer.

IEMatch really helps (ultra setting, especially) quite a bit: bass is a bit subsided, mids are more there, treble is shinier, so the impedance match is definitely an issue that may account for some difference in opinions.

I did spend quite a bit of time with the tips. Narrow bores (spinfit CP100 and my sets of hearing amplifier tips) did not work for me; to my ears shallow wide bores, such as spiral dots, still work best. Narrow bores emphasize midbass and cut treble for me.

Then on the perceived quality and internals, ASX somewhat feel scarcely TRN-ish, see the position of the crossover circuit board on my pair below:
16057440528601908196589597981541.jpg

I will still get C20 and BAX - two more tries, KZ :)

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #52,751 of 63,922
I thought to make it longer, I can't.

ASX are a decent effort but KZ can do better, I hope.
There is something deficient in ASX mids for me, some hollow/nasal quality, not that much, but apparent.

I do prefer AS16, C16, and ZAX to ASX.
At the same time, BA10, AS10, and especially AS06 are closer.

IEMatch really helps (ultra setting, especially) quite a bit: bass is a bit subsided, mids are more there, treble is shinier, so the impedance match is definitely an issue that may account for some difference in opinions.

I did spend quite a bit of time with the tips. Narrow bores (spinfit CP100 and my sets of hearing amplifier tips) did not work for me; to my ears shallow wide bores, such as spiral dots, still work best. Narrow bores emphasize midbass and cut treble for me.

Then on the perceived quality and internals, ASX somewhat feel scarcely TRN-ish, see the position of the crossover circuit board on my pair below:
16057440528601908196589597981541.jpg
I will still get C20 and BAX - two more tries, KZ :)

It seems my ASX's crossover boards are bit more neat and well in place except the internal cords are still messy. Why are the "20 BA Work Together" marks being missed in your pair?

ASX1.jpg

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #52,752 of 63,922
It seems my ASX's crossover boards are bit more neat and well in place except the internal cords are still messy. Why are the "20 BA Work Together" marks being missed in your pair?

ASX1.jpg
The silver/white ASX has white text instead of gold thus making it harder to see.

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #52,755 of 63,922
Do the Azla Sedna Shorts stay on the nozzle? I thought they would be a little too wide for the ASF/ASX nozzle.
You use Earfit or Earfitlight?

I bought the short light. Since it's my first time buying quality eartips. Back then I didn't care, as long as it stays and sounds good. Then this became a problem when the tips on AS10 falls off because there's no lip. Then I bought generic tips (like 5 sets of S,M,L for like $2-3?) Fast forward now, I jumped the bandwagon for tip rolling. Lol. I didn't know this would make a difference especially on the seal. Azla's diameter is like a plus size for the tips. Their M size could be an L for some brands. But it's grippy and overall performance, this makes ASX more enjoyable to listen to. 😄

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back