Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 18, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #52,726 of 63,917
I personaly use spinfit cp100 with my ASX. I did not even try any of the tips included at hey never fit me properly.

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #52,728 of 63,917
Agreed, ASF is not the best sounding KZ.

AS12 is, in my opinion, but I do like the ASF.

I settled the "source" issue a while ago by going with Cowon. That is to say output impedance issues. The Cowon Plenue offerings are designed well when it comes to low output impedance specifications.

The UI takes some getting used to but if it's fantastic sound you're after I highly recommend a Cowon. I should mention that I typically go single-ended (3.5mm).

Usually, Cowon output impedance is well under 1Ω and in my opinion they rival most of the trendy spendy DAPs when it comes to great sound delivery.

518tsCHpulL._AC_SL1500_-1.jpg

• DXD : Up to 352.8/384kHz (1/2 Sampling)
  • DSD Native : Up to DSD128
  • SNR : 123dB Unbalance / 123dB Balance
  • THD+N : 0.0005% Unbalance / 0.0005% Balance (24bit, 48kHz)
  • Stereo Crosstalk : -139dB Unbalance / -143dB Balance
  • Output : 2.0Vrms Unbalance / 3.24Vrms Balance
  • Output Impedance : 1.3Ω Unbalance / 2.6Ω Balance
  • Playback Time : Approximately 10.5 hours (MP3, 128kbps)

In other news, I'll be ordering the new CCA CST but I'm also looking forward to see what sister offering KZ may have on the drawing board.

41-BFm0Wj1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

In the meantime I figure I'll finally start on the project that I've been meaning to get to for a while which is to rewire another earphone that slipped under the radar. It didn't get much fanfare but it was quite good with its 12.5mm single dynamic driver. Well worth the $37 I paid for the Tin Audio T1.

tin_hifi_t1.png
51XXi1ILvTL._AC_SL1500_-1.jpg

You can tell that the $37 Tin Audio T1 was "inspired" by the $649 "Dita: The Answer"DITA.Answe-700x700.jpg

I'll be repurposing either one of these cables. Haven't decided yet.

New Cable for recable.jpg

61vZj8o+ylL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Avoid the black TRN câble...
The Jack is scratchy noisy on mine, the slider don't retain anything and the curved part keeps popping out of my ears...

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #52,729 of 63,917
So I’m wondering what tips the current set of reviewers where using?

As far as I know they use the stock tips. Any modifications or changes would tamper the review per se and should've been disclosed in the review.

I personaly use spinfit cp100 with my ASX. I did not even try any of the tips included at hey never fit me properly.

The stock tips were kinda flimsy.

That being said, I bought the Final type E and the Azla sedna shorts. So far I never had gotten the chance to use the Type E because the Sedna Short is so damn good at ASX. Lol. Maybe this weekend I'll give it a go. 😅

Nov 18, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #52,730 of 63,917
For me the stock tips don't seal well when inserted into my ear. Then I tried a foam tips that originally for TWS which most of them have smaller nozzle like the ASX/ASF and they fit perfectly and can be inserted just like the stock tips but way better seal.

Nov 18, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #52,731 of 63,917
The stock tips were kinda flimsy.

That being said, I bought the Final type E and the Azla sedna shorts. So far I never had gotten the chance to use the Type E because the Sedna Short is so damn good at ASX. Lol. Maybe this weekend I'll give it a go. 😅
Do the Azla Sedna Shorts stay on the nozzle? I thought they would be a little too wide for the ASF/ASX nozzle.
You use Earfit or Earfitlight?

Nov 18, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #52,732 of 63,917
It looks like there are many negative reviews of ASF and ASX. Too bad, I was looking forward to new releases to possibly replace my old Terminators but it seams even ZAX are not that much better. Porta.fi even likes ZSX better than ZAX.
I Like KZ started including better cable but in $100 range the earphone case is a must imo.

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #52,734 of 63,917
It would be great to hear about your experience even if you pick up an entry level Plenue (V, J or D2). Also, I wouldn't skimp on the case with the V, J or D2. Get the case.
The P2, P2 mkii and PL come with the case.
I have owned 4 Cowon DAPs over the years and currently got both the Plenue V and Plenue R2 in possession. Plenue R2 is basically one of the most versatile DAPs I have. Good amount of reconstruction filter options that can alter the signature slightly but noticeably, the display is gorgeous AMOLED, the handling is great (with case) and battery life is awesome for a device of its class. More importantly: the balanced output is true balanced and it is one of the very few DAPs under $1000 that did proper justice to the highly inefficient Final E5000 (93dB/mW).
Among the other Cowon devices I've tried, the Plenue L stands on its own. It's prohibitively expensive but the sound quality is definitely TOTL level. Dynamics on them are some of the best I've heard from a portable player. They're quite a bit bulky and heavy though and lacks the battery life which is a standout on most Cowon models.
So I’m wondering what tips the current set of reviewers where using?
I used the stock tips as they fit me well. I did try with a range of tips though: Spinfit CP-100/145/500, Azla Xelastec, Spiral Dot... nothing could improve what's already broken I guess.

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #52,735 of 63,917
the Plenue V

Now that is an interesting shape for a piece of consumer electronics... :p
cowon-plenue-v-silver-audiophile-player-64-go.jpg

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #52,736 of 63,917
Now that is an interesting shape for a piece of consumer electronics... :p
cowon-plenue-v-silver-audiophile-player-64-go.jpg
Well can also substitute for an electric shaver when in a pinch. :wink:

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #52,737 of 63,917
Wow, last time I bought a dedicated media player was the Ibasso DX80. I used to have Cowon player and love it. With smartphone and bluetooth technology getting more advanced, I rarely consider buying dedicated media player as my S20 plus + Samsung GBeans provide enough for my 30 minutes lunch break listening session.

Nov 18, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #52,738 of 63,917
Are you happy with the sound?
Yes I am, as I praise the ASX here on daily basis 😃. I have baby sized ear canals and any tips wider than 10mm are uncomfortable for me, and now after finding spinfit's I use them in ss size with all IEM's. If you have normal ears, you have more otions of course :)

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #52,740 of 63,917
AS06 is a heck of a bargain! The ASX will also be cheap as chips....when it is not "current". I personally love the AS06 (with an upgraded cord).
KZ really hit the target with the AS06. I keep hearing about "recessed mids" but I'm not getting that; I have no problems with mine.

Now I await the experts to tell me the difference between it and ASF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back